Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lord of The Curr...
post Feb 23 2009, 07:04 PM
Post #2

I roll with groups and ghetto bastards with biscuits

Group: Members
Member No.: 721

Bacon's too expensive. I refuse to eat the cheap stuff/chicken or turkey bacon. I can get 200 grams of deli-smoked black forest ham for half of what cheap quality bacon would cost.

And no, I don't forget the hot sauce.

+Quote Post
Guest_Vitamin X_*
post Feb 23 2009, 08:36 PM
Post #3

Guests

Bacon? Expensive? Must be a lot up there. I consider it as essential as cheese, which is usually more expensive (again, quality). Oh and turkey bacon is not real bacon either, I totally agree. Still sounds like a good meal, though- one I've had a few times before myself.

I think you should try that with a slice of tomato and/or avocado. Trust me, you'll like it.

+Quote Post
Lord of The Curr...
post Feb 24 2009, 09:33 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Vitamin X @ Feb 23 2009, 08:36 PM) *
Bacon? Expensive? Must be a lot up there. I consider it as essential as cheese, which is usually more expensive (again, quality). Oh and turkey bacon is not real bacon either, I totally agree. Still sounds like a good meal, though- one I've had a few times before myself.

I think you should try that with a slice of tomato and/or avocado. Trust me, you'll like it.

Keep in mind I'm jobless right now so "expensive" to me is a bit different then everybody else. Regardless most places right now around here charge around 5.99 and above for bacon and the quality stuff is around 9.99.

+Quote Post
Guest_Vitamin X_*
post Feb 24 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #5

Guests

Yikes, that is pretty bad. Cheap bacon here in the States costs like $2-3 a package (which is usually a pound or so), and the better stuff goes from $5-10.

+Quote Post
MarvinisaLunatic
post Feb 25 2009, 12:09 PM
Post #6

?

Member No.: 47

I buy bacon when its cheap (I just got some the other week for $.99 a package). Then I'll take one whole package and cook it all at once in the oven, then bag it in freezer bags/containers. Whenever I want bacon I take it out of the freezer and nuke em (30 seconds on medium per 2 strips). I know this seems like more work when you can buy the already cooked bacon now but Ive had that crap and its not good.

+Quote Post
CanadianGuitaris...
post Feb 25 2009, 11:30 PM
Post #7

Okay. Blue Jays. Let's. Play. Ball.

Member No.: 6,234

QUOTE (MarvinisaLunatic @ Feb 25 2009, 01:09 PM) *
I buy bacon when its cheap (I just got some the other week for $.99 a package). Then I'll take one whole package and cook it all at once in the oven, then bag it in freezer bags/containers. Whenever I want bacon I take it out of the freezer and nuke em (30 seconds on medium per 2 strips). I know this seems like more work when you can buy the already cooked bacon now but Ive had that crap and its not good.

I disagree. Twenty strips of pre-cooked bacon for 4 bucks is awesome, and well worth the extra (roughly) 75 cents. By the way, the 20-strip package is from M&M Meats, which is a phenomenal frozen food store in Canada. The only other notable pre-cooked bacon is Maple Leaf, which is also pretty good.

Discounting the work/price ratio, how good could 99-cent bacon be?

+Quote Post
Lord of The Curr...
post Feb 26 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #8

People still eat Maple Leaf products? They're pretty much done now, IMO.

+Quote Post
MarvinisaLunatic
post Feb 26 2009, 09:14 PM
Post #9

?

Member No.: 47

QUOTE (CanadianGuitarist @ Feb 26 2009, 12:30 AM) *
QUOTE (MarvinisaLunatic @ Feb 25 2009, 01:09 PM) *

I disagree. Twenty strips of pre-cooked bacon for 4 bucks is awesome, and well worth the extra (roughly) 75 cents. By the way, the 20-strip package is from M&M Meats, which is a phenomenal frozen food store in Canada. The only other notable pre-cooked bacon is Maple Leaf, which is also pretty good.

Discounting the work/price ratio, how good could 99-cent bacon be?

My 99 cent bacon was originally $4.99, buy 1 get one free and I had 2 $.75 cent coupons that doubled because I know a grocery store that is nice like that. I forget what brand it is though..I might have to root around in the freezer and check.

EDIT:
My bacon has a first name..its O S C A R.

Alton Brown actually did a good eats episode on making your own bacon in a locker (Scrap Iron Chef) but Im not anywhere near that adventurous.

+Quote Post
Star Ocean 3
post Feb 26 2009, 09:39 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 712

Bacon's really become the new internet fad.

+Quote Post
Red Baron
post Feb 26 2009, 10:53 PM
Post #11

Screw Your Problem, I'm Talking About Me!

Member No.: 1,389

I buy my bacon from a butcher.

+Quote Post
CanadianGuitaris...
post Feb 26 2009, 11:09 PM
Post #12

Okay. Blue Jays. Let's. Play. Ball.

Member No.: 6,234

I really should be going to a butcher more often. I don't really like to spoil myself, but I do like to splurge on a steak on payday.

+Quote Post
The Niggardly Ki...
post Feb 26 2009, 11:54 PM
Post #13

IS IT GETTING THE BEST OF YOU?

Member No.: 6,181

christ bacon sucks. give me a hot link any day

+Quote Post
Guest_Smues_*
post Feb 27 2009, 01:06 AM
Post #14

Guests

(IMG:http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i143/Chromodynamic/bacon-_flowchart.jpg)

+Quote Post
Darthtiki
post Feb 28 2009, 02:24 AM
Post #15

What's Going On?

Member No.: 3,603

Didn't we already have a bacon thread?

+Quote Post
kkktookmybabyawa...
post Feb 28 2009, 08:32 AM
Post #16

Fry Mumia

From: Just outside the county line that encompasses Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Member No.: 225

QUOTE (MarvinisaLunatic @ Feb 26 2009, 10:14 PM) *
My 99 cent bacon was originally $4.99, buy 1 get one free and I had 2 $.75 cent coupons that doubled because I know a grocery store that is nice like that. I forget what brand it is though..I might have to root around in the freezer and check.

BOGO on $5 bacon. My n*gga. The best I can do around here is $1.50 bacon after coupons.

+Quote Post
Guest_Czech please!_*
post Mar 2 2009, 02:46 PM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (Star Ocean 3 @ Feb 26 2009, 09:39 PM) *

Yeah, really. This shit's getting out of hand. I mean, I like bacon (if it's crispy), but I don't love it, and could safely live without it. Did you see that chefs are creating bacon-based desserts? Why? David Sedaris was right: if cooking is an art, we've entered Dada.

+Quote Post
Maztinho
post Mar 2 2009, 03:48 PM
Post #18

Convicted of Spork Assault, 1987

Member No.: 3,506

That weaved bacon and cheese thing someone linked still haunts my dreams.

+Quote Post
Guest_Vitamin X_*
post Mar 3 2009, 03:43 AM
Post #19

Guests

QUOTE (Czech please! @ Mar 2 2009, 12:46 PM) *
QUOTE (Star Ocean 3 @ Feb 26 2009, 09:39 PM) *

Yeah, really. This shit's getting out of hand. I mean, I like bacon (if it's crispy), but I don't love it, and could safely live without it. Did you see that chefs are creating bacon-based desserts? Why? David Sedaris was right: if cooking is an art, we've entered Dada.

The bacon based desserts actually do work pretty well. There's a reason it's called "the candy of meats". There's of course the bacon maple bar I always talk about and then there was also this sugar glazed praline bacon thing I tried the other day. It really made it a lot like a piece of candy, moreso than in any form I've tried before.

+Quote Post
Guest_Agent of Oblivion_*
post Mar 3 2009, 07:23 AM
Post #20

Guests

Pork has a natural sweetness to it, and lends itself well to natural sugars and other meats with sweet qualities. Bacon wrapped scallops, for example.

+Quote Post
Guest_Vitamin X_*
post Mar 3 2009, 12:11 PM
Post #21

Guests

Supposedly human meat tastes extremely similar to pork.

+Quote Post
King Kamala
post Mar 3 2009, 12:23 PM
Post #22

Goodbye

Member No.: 2,255

Yeah, I remember watching an HBO documentary on cannibals and one guy said human meat tasted like the finest pork loin you'd ever tasted. I couldn't eat pork loin...well until whenever the next time my Mom made pork loin was.

Yeah, I'm with Czech on this one. I like bacon quite a bit but why the sudden fawning over it? Seems kind of random. I've always been more of a breakfast sausage fan anyways.

+Quote Post
Guest_Vitamin X_*
post Mar 3 2009, 12:30 PM
Post #23

Guests

I think part of it has to do with the overall backlash against the health food trends/fads we've seen over the past couple decades. That's why these days we've become fascinated with things like eating contests, enormous monstrosities being offered at restaurants and fast food joints alike (the Monsterburger, anyone?) and then shows like Man vs. Food. People have become so sick and tired of the whole eating healthy and counting calories b.s. that they're embracing "real" or "man" food again. I think the low-carb craze was the last straw for a lot of people- and bacon, being a particularly fatty, greasy food not to mention extremely versatile, is kind of spearheading that "real food but with some moderation" fad.

+Quote Post
Guest_Smues_*
post Mar 3 2009, 02:29 PM
Post #24

Guests

And the fact that it's just damn tasty. There's always that.

+Quote Post
Guest_Smues_*
post Mar 3 2009, 02:35 PM
Post #25

Guests

I've utterly failed to figure out how to embed this properly, so instead I just offer the link.
Man some of you may have seen before eats nothing but bacon for a month

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2017 - 04:34 AM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here