TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nate

History of ECW

the current episode (which ends tonight at midnight) is 2 Cold Scorpio vs Sabu for the ECW TV title for the whole show with breaks in between

I really enjoyed the match and thought it was one of the better offerings on ECW in awhile, however I didn't realize it actually has a place in ECW History as one of their highly overrated matches that I actually already own on DVD. I just thought it was a long match on TV.

I believe Chris Jericho debuts in the episode coming up late tonight and that's pretty exciting.

Guest heyguesswhatidid

Yeah, it's Jericho vs. Foley.

Watch ECW just for the Pillman promo with the crying baby, good stuff.

Watching this Brian Pillman angle again. If ECW had gotten the feud with Pillman and Shane Douglas into the ring before circumstances intervened, holy CRAP would that have been a hot match. I dare say ECW never had a better angle going.

Pillman/Douglas WAS a hot match, when Douglas a fresh babyface in WCW and Pillman just turned heel. On an October '92 WCW SN, they had a killer match, ended in DQ, with Douglas KILLING Pillman with a snap belly-to-belly on the arena floor. Concrete floor.

I'm watching the ECW episode that's up now - the guy in the first match (Demian Stone) looks like Little Guido, and apparently is, good stuff. Pillman also looks pretty swank in that black suit with cane. Speaking of the opening match / angle, I've been wondering for awhile who this Damian Kane character is. He doesn't seem to stick out in the stories history of ECW as anyone I've ever heard of but he's been on the shows for awhile now as some big indy scene manager.

It's nice they gave Tazz and Joey another new set, too.

For the record, the original song that played for Richards and the Meanie during Foley's send off was "New York, New York." The Rockettes imitation makes much more sense in that context.

I think they should post factoids during entrances and segments saying what the original music was during each segment. It would help put stuff like the bWo segment into context.

I'm pretty sure the 4-1 epsiode is the first ecw show I ever saw, cuz I remember the damian kane-mikey whipwreck match. and with them mentioning this being the debut of ecw nationally it makes sense, as the ecw show was not on in socal before then (not that I remember) infact I wound up finding it by accident, flipping channels.

The 4/8/96 is the first I ever saw, as my brother stumbled upon it the night it aired locally and handed me the tape the next morning. I remember the six man tag vividly.

Check out the German Suplex Saturn gives Nova. That looked really painful.

Good studio stuff this episode with Tazz and Joey talking about Nova/Simon Dean/Mike Bucci then discussing the lesbian controversy at the end of the episode.

Just wondering but when does Rob Van Dam start becoming a more integral part of these shows? It seems very odd since they showed his debut match against Axl Rotten....and then he hasn't been on another show. When does the Sabu/RVD feud start heating up? I thought it was around the time of April 1996.

It wasn't until later in the summer, because the very first episode of ECW on an old compilation tape I have is from Labor Day weekend in '96, and on that show they have the highlights of how Doug Furnas turned on RVD and RVD wanted Sabu as his dream partner to take on Furnas and Kroffat since Sabu was the man who taught him about respect.

Let's see, I have tapes of some ECW shows like A Matter of Respect and Hardcore Heaven 96 and those both have RVD/Sabu matches. That said I have no idea how much of it was on the actual TV show, or maybe just in clips. Seems like ECW debuted in my area in the Summer of 1996, but I can't remember exactly when.

The new ECW show on 24/7 was kick ass stuff. The whole RVD/Sabu match and angle with Alfonso and Taz telling RVD to destroy Sabu's neck, so he gives him a fisherman's buster off the top rope. There's also a pretty solid 3 way brawl with Raven, Sandman, and Pitbull #2.

I like how Mikey evolved. I always knew he did, going from never once throwing even a punch to being just an all-around respected talent, but it's been great seeing him go from point A to point B. I also love how haphazardly he seems to do most moves, as if he's doing them simply because he thinks they'll work, and not because he's mastered them (which, to be fair, is likely the truth, but it just fits the character so damn well).

I remember him working at Uncensored 99... I don't even remember the opponent, but at the time I thought it was dreadfully dull.

Edit: It was against Billy Kidman and was 15 minutes long. I think at that point, whenever I caught WCW, I found it really odd they'd give midcarders such a long match. I remember seeing a Benoit/Malenko vs. Duncam Jr./Partner match that the latter team was in no way going to win, but it seemingly went on forever. Maybe I'd enjoy these matches now... or maybe they really were boring.

It was pretty boring, in truth. Of course, it didn't help that it was Mikey's debut, and this was when Kidman started to lose his fanbase in WCW (which sucked, because he had that string of great matches with Rey Mysterio Jr. and Juvi).

Everyone in WCW started to lose their fanbase by mid 1999. The entire promotion was completely booked into the ground at that point. Was there anyone who went into the Fall of 1999 with their heat intact?