TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vern Gagne

NHL Award

Guest Vern Gagne

I figured I'd start it. NHL fans can take over.

One quick question, where did the idea for naming the awards come from?

Guest Slingshot Suplex

Have they even announced the nominees for the awards yet? I haven't heard anything yet other than the Hart trophy possibilities

Guest gthureson

For most of the NHL awards, the naming came from the people who actually donated the trophy to be used. You donate a piece of hardware, you get to have it named after you.

Guest MaxPower27

I just like the name of the Lady Bing trophy. It just sounds like something that you'd give to the guy who hits the post more than anyone in the league.

Guest CanadianChris

Well, I'll chip in my two cents' worth of predictions:

Hart (MVP): Peter Forsberg, Colorado

Norris (top defenceman): Al MacInnis, St. Louis

Vezina (top goalie): Marty Turco, Dallas

Calder (top rookie): Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit

Adams (top coach): Jacques Martin, Ottawa

Selke (top defensive forward): Jere Lehtinen, Dallas

Lady Byng (gentlemanly conduct): Mike Modano, Dallas

Masterton (perseverance and sportsmanship): Steve Yzerman, Detroit

Guest starvenger
For most of the NHL awards, the naming came from the people who actually donated the trophy to be used. You donate a piece of hardware, you get to have it named after you.

While this is true of the Stanley Cup, I'm not sure about the other trophies. I'm pretty sure that the Masterson (sportsmanship), Richard (highest goal scorer), Ross (highest score), President's (best team in the regular season), Prince of Wales (Eastern conference winner) and Campbell (Western conference winner) trophies are just named after the various peoples.

Selke (top defensive forward): Eric Desjardins, Philadelphia

Um, isn't Desjardins a D-man?

Good choice. I'm gonna say Lalime, with Turco and Brodeur as the other finalists.

The only other contender I could see here is Marc Crawford. Martin has done a great job with the Sens. Again.

Guest CanadianChris
Selke (top defensive forward): Eric Desjardins, Philadelphia

Um, isn't Desjardins a D-man?

Geez, you're right. Fixed that one.

The only other contender I could see here is Marc Crawford. Martin has done a great job with the Sens. Again.

Jacques Lemaire of Minnesota will almost certainly be the other finalist.

Guest MaxPower27

Hart (MVP): Peter Forsberg. As good as Marcus Naslund is, Forsberg had the team on his back when Sakic was out.

Norris (top defenceman): Niklas Lidstrom. Played great all year, always up there in OI time.

Calder (top rookie): Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit. Can't argue. Playing great, that line was incredible.

Adams (top coach): Joel Quennville, St. Louis. With various injuries, the Blues were up there with man games lost. Quennville had them competing all season.

Selke (top defensive forward): Michael Peca, New York Islanders

Lady Byng (gentlemanly conduct): Mike Modano, Dallas.

Masterton (perseverance and sportsmanship): Steve Yzerman, Detroit

Guest redbaron51

Venzina was named after George Vezina after playing for the Montreal Canadiens during the 20-30's.

Art Ross was a Boston Player during the 20-30's.

Cambell award, for the west is from Clarence Campell, commissioner of NHL for a long time.

Lester B. Person Award was donated by Lester B. Person (Canadian PM).

Maurice "Rocket" Richard: Obvious...

there are others i think i know

Guest treble charged

The Selke may be the most pointless award in professional sports today.

Guest evilhomer
The Selke may be the most pointless award in professional sports today.

Not really, it's nice to give some credit to the guy who goes out there and busts his ass all year long back-checking.

I'd vote for the Lady Byng as the most pointless. But that's just me, I can't stand soft hockey players.

Hart: Forsberg, Bertuzzi and Naslund will cancel each other out of top spot

Norris: MacInnis, really carried the blue line with Pronger out

Vezina: Martin Brodeur, I hate this guy because of what he's done to my Leafs, but he had one hell of a season

Masterson: Mario Lemeiux, on top of his health and age, he had the concerns of the organization weighing on him. Despite carrying that load, he almost won the scoring title, and probably would have if they didn't have to sell Korolev.

Jack Adams: Marc Crawford, it would have been very easy for them to fall hard after the great finish they had last year.

I'll abstain from the remaining because I didn't follow the season closely enough to give a proper opinion of who deserves the others.

Guest Slingshot Suplex

I can't see anybody but Lemaire getting the Adams. A team that few expected to make the playoffs ,with a team perceived as Marian Gaborik and a bunch of grinding no names.Guys like Crawford,Martin and Quennville had much more to work with,although many of Quennville's key players were hurt for periods of time.

Guest gthureson

Hart: Due to the voting system the NHL uses, Forsberg may come up through the middle and beat out both Bertuzzi and Naslund. He'll collect massive amounts of 2nd and 3rd place votes with just enough first to sneak past the two Canucks. There is no general consensus amongst the hockey press as to who is better between Todd and Markus, so neither one will get the concentrated support they need. And Forsberg is not a bad choice by any means anyway.

Vezina: Marty Turco of Dallas will take it. \

Masterton: Hard pick. Lemieux already won in 1993. This is a trophy you can only win once. Not sure who the nominees are this year (each team picks their own), but until I see the list, I'd pick Bryan Berard. He got beat out by Koivu's cancer last year, but he'll get it eventually for the eye thing.

Selke: I don't like what this award has turned into. It has gone from an award for the best defensive forward or 'grinder' to best forward who also plays passable defence. Everyone is talking up Modano, so he'll probably get it.

Norris: Nostaligia vote for MacInnis and his points, even though his play this year is more due to Jackman than anything else.

Calder: Barret Jackman should get it. He stepped in, logged the minutes and played great.

Adams: Jacques Lemaire.

Lady Byng: Markus Naslund, as consolation for not winning the Hart.