TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

MMA Starter Kit

We can evolve this as we go. Basically - if you have any question that you feel is a dumb question - put it here.

UPDATED: 7/21/08: Added DREAM Grand Prix section

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Major MMA promotions:

UFC Nothing needs to be said.

World Extreme Cagefighting Airs on Vs. Owned by Zuffa, LLC, the owners of the UFC. One of the best produced free MMA shows on TV. Production values sometimes better than UFC. Home of the lower weight classes including Featherweight and Bantamweight. Offers the best in the world at these weights.

Marquee Fighters: Urijah Faber, Miguel Torres, Paulo Filho, Carlos Condit, "All American" Brian Stann, Jamie Varner, "Razor" Rob McCullough

EliteXC Soon to be airing on CBS, as well as airing for free on Showtime. Has a nice mix of veterans and upcoming stars.

Marquee Fighters: Kimbo Slice, Gina Carano, Jake Shields, Nick Diaz, Yves Edwards, Antonio "BigFoot" Silva

Strikeforce Local California promotion with many big names. Will be airing on NBC in highlight show format.

Marquee Fighters: Cung Le, Frank Shamrock, Gilbert Melendez

DREAM (Link to Wikipedia as site in Japanese) - Basically PRIDE 2.0. Features the best of the best in Japan.

Marquee Fighters: Mirko Cro Cop, Shinya Aoki, Gesias "JZ" Calvacante, Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza

World Victory Road Upstart Japanese promotion.

Marquee Fighters: Josh Barnett, Takanori Gomi

Adrenaline MMA Upstart promotion that plans to be the "Strikeforce of the midwest".

Marquee Fighters: Tim Sylvia, Ben Rothwell

Marquee Free Agents/Names not associated with a particular promotion: Fedor Emelianenko, Tito Ortiz, Matt Lindland, Frank Trigg, Jason "Mayhem" Miller

UFC Championship lineages The complete lineage for every championship belt in the UFC. Also links to many key past/present stars by name for access to a wealth of fighter information.

PRIDE Grand Prix Winners:

Openweight:

2000: Mark Coleman

2006: Mirko Cro Cop

Lightweight:

2005: Takanori Gomi

Welterweight:

2005: Dan Henderson

2006: Kazou Misaki

Middleweight:

2003: Wanderlei Silva

2005: Maruicio "Shogun" Rua

Heavyweight:

2004: Fedor Emelianenko

DREAM Grand Prix winners

Lightweight:

2008: Joachim Hansen

Middleweight:

2008: Gegard Mousasi

UFC Hall of Fame:

- Mark Coleman

- Randy Couture

- Royce Gracie

- Dan Severn

- Ken Shamrock

MMA news and information: These are the sites you're going to want to check every day if you want to follow up on the latest goings-on in MMA.

MMAJunkie

MMAWeekly

MMAMania

Five Ounces of Pain

ADCC News

Fighter Databases:

Full Contact Fighter

Sherdog Also has news/information

Dave Meltzer (yes the wrestling guy) also has a lot of great information on MMA but that's usually picked up by the first 4 sites relatively quickly.

MMA Videos: Self explanatory

Quite a few fights here

There are also videos on random sites, Daily Motion, and youtube until they get pulled. They aren't hard to find via google, though.

MMA on TV:

Major cards will be pinned in this forum one week prior to air until a day or two after. All UFC cards, and most WEC, Strikeforce, and EliteXC cards all fall into this category. Other shows without enough interest to have their own thread will be discussed in CTDWAT.

UFC PPVs: Air on Saturdays at 10PM ~12 times a year. The occasional European card will be shown live at 3 PM.

UFC UFNs: Air on Wednesday nights 4-5 times a year.

The Ultimate Fighter: Airs Wednesday nights from 10-11 pm weekly (when in season)

Check the forum for more information on the scheduling of other shows.

Fantasy MMA

MMA Playground Fantasy picks and fantasy wagers for UFC events. We have a TSM fight camp. PM me if you would like to be invited to join the camp and "compete."

K-1 Kickboxing:

Credit to AboveAverage484

K-1 Grand Prix Winners

1993: Branco Cikatic (Croatia)

1994: Peter Aerts (Holland)

1995: Peter Aerts (Holland)

1996: Andy Hug (Switzerland)

1997: Ernesto Hoost (Holland)

1998: Peter Aerts (Holland)

1999: Ernesto Hoost (Holland)

2000: Ernesto Hoost (Holland)

2001: Mark Hunt (New Zealand)

2002: Ernesto Hoost (Holland)

2003: Remy Bonjasky (Holland)

2004: Remy Bonjasky (Holland)

2005: Semmy Schilt (Holland)

2006: Semmy Schilt (Holland)

2007: Semmy Schilt (Holland)

K-1 MAX Grand Prix Winners (154 lbs.)

2002: Albert Kraus (Holland)

2003: Masato (Japan)

2004: Buakaw Por.Praumuk (Thailand)

2005: Andy Souwer (Holland)

2006: Buakaw Por.Praumuk (Thailand)

2007: Andy Souwer (Holland)

Super Heavyweight Champion(235+)

Semmy Schilt

Heavyweight Champion(-235)

Badr Hari

Notable fighters (active): Semmy Schilt, Remy Bonjasky, Badr Hari, Peter Aerts, Jerome Le Banner, Musashi, Glaube Feitosa, Ray Sefo

Notable fighters (MAX): Buakaw Por.Praumuk, Andy Souwer, Masato, Mike Zambidis, Albert Kraus, Takayuki Kohiurimaki, Virgil Kalakoda, Gago Drago, John Wayne Parr, Yoshihiro Sato, Artur Kyschenko

Notable fighters (inactive): Ernesto Hoost, Andy Hug, Mike Bernardo, Sam Greco, Francisco Filho, Branco Cikatic, Masaaki Satake, Stan Longinidis

Others (active in MMA, though both have been rumored to permanently return to the organization): Mark Hunt, Mirko Cro Cop

I think you should add Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva to EliteXC in terms of marquee fighters. I'd throw in JZ Calvacante to the DREAM roster as he's easily a top ten LW right now.

Might as well also mention that I have invites to Torrent Bully, which is a pretty good site for MMA (including the UFC prelim fights) and wrestling PPVs. I think someone's been seeding King of the Death Match recently...

First dumb question of the thread -

So which promotions does HDNET have rights to air live events with? I know they air IFL and I remember seeing the Strikeforce show w/ Bob Sapp a while back. I would have sworn I've seen other smaller level promotions on its network but I can't remember for sure.

HDNet is quickly racking up an impressive array of small shows.

Here is a list of every show they have ever run.

http://www.hdnetfights.com/events_past.php

They have some decent "name" stars on their own cards: Pete Spratt, Yves Edwards, Frank Trigg, Edwin Dewees, Mayhem, Tim Kennedy.

The XFL show listed on there was pretty good because it featured Jake Rosholt and Johnny Hendricks, who both looked really impressive.

First dumb question of the thread -

So which promotions does HDNET have rights to air live events with? I know they air IFL and I remember seeing the Strikeforce show w/ Bob Sapp a while back. I would have sworn I've seen other smaller level promotions on its network but I can't remember for sure.

IIRC they also had the rights to the Yarrenoka! show from New Years Eve.

Oh, that's not on there? Yeah - they had Yarrenoka - aka Fedor Returns card. That card also had the memorable Misaki/Akiyama fight that ended with an illegal soccer kick and a public tongue lashing from Misaki to Akiyama. It was unlike anything I've ever seen.

Here's a video of the fight:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3wqdi_ka...akiyama-y_sport

But the post-match shenanigans aren't in the video. He just berates him to his face (with a microphone!) and Akiyama stands there and takes it.

I'd like to nominate the Full Contact Fighter site for inclusion. They are a lot more comprehensive at times with their fightfinder search engine, including amateur shows a lot more. Since the Crave buyout things have went a bit to shit over at the 'Dog with admin issues out the ass due to too many cooks spoiling the broth.

Portal Vale Tudo and ADCC news are also good for info on foreign events and fighters.

Adrenaline MMA is funded by Affliction and has no links to M-1 Global, which was a Japanese event promoted by the existing M-1 promotion backed with additional funds from Japanese sources. M-1 Global is now defunct. Also interesting to note is that Affliction have been planning to get involved in the promotion side of things for a while, hence their gear being banned for fighters to wear on UFC events since the beginning of the year when word first circulated about them scouting for partners. Looks like Mark Cuban is going to be that partner.

Josh Barnett is not with DREAM, he is with World Victory Road, as are Kevin Randleman and Roger Gracie.

We can evolve this as we go. Basically - if you have any question that you feel is a dumb question - put it here.

UPDATED: 4/7/08: Everything

Major MMA promotions:

UFC Nothing needs to be said.

World Extreme Cagefighting Airs on Vs. Owned by Zuffa, LLC, the owners of the UFC. One of the best produced free MMA shows on TV. Production values sometimes better than UFC. Home of the lower weight classes including Featherweight and Bantamweight. Offers the best in the world at these weights.

Marquee Fighters: Urijah Faber, Miguel Torres, Paulo Filho, "All American" Brian Stann, Jamie Varner, "Razor" Rob McCullough

Don't forget Carlos Condit. Everytime I catch an Ep of WEC they're always pimpin him.

I'll update the Affliction/Adrenaline MMA situation once there is more information available - which now that they have a card coming up shouldn't be too long.

Five Ounces of Pain just released their 2.0 version of top MMA prospects today. I was going to make a fresh thread for it but I wasn't sure it would get enough discussion. It features a lot of names I have been hearing about for months so I'd suggest reading up on it.

K-1 Grand Prix Winners

1993: Branco Cikatic (Croatia)

1994: Peter Aerts (Holland)

1995: Peter Aerts (Holland)

1996: Andy Hug (Switzerland)

1997: Ernesto Hoost (Holland)

1998: Peter Aerts (Holland)

1999: Ernesto Hoost (Holland)

2000: Ernesto Hoost (Holland)

2001: Mark Hunt (New Zealand)

2002: Ernesto Hoost (Holland)

2003: Remy Bonjasky (Holland)

2004: Remy Bonjasky (Holland)

2005: Semmy Schilt (Holland)

2006: Semmy Schilt (Holland)

2007: Semmy Schilt (Holland)

K-1 MAX Grand Prix Winners (154 lbs.)

2002: Albert Kraus (Holland)

2003: Masato (Japan)

2004: Buakaw Por.Praumuk (Thailand)

2005: Andy Souwer (Holland)

2006: Buakaw Por.Praumuk (Thailand)

2007: Andy Souwer (Holland)

Super Heavyweight Champion(235+)

Semmy Schilt

Heavyweight Champion(-235)

Badr Hari

Notable fighters (active): Semmy Schilt, Remy Bonjasky, Badr Hari, Peter Aerts, Jerome Le Banner, Musashi, Glaube Feitosa, Ray Sefo

Notable fighters (MAX): Buakaw Por.Praumuk, Andy Souwer, Masato, Mike Zambidis, Albert Kraus, Takayuki Kohiurimaki, Virgil Kalakoda, Gago Drago, John Wayne Parr, Yoshihiro Sato, Artur Kyschenko

Notable fighters (inactive): Ernesto Hoost, Andy Hug, Mike Bernardo, Sam Greco, Francisco Filho, Branco Cikatic, Masaaki Satake, Stan Longinidis

Others (active in MMA, though both have been rumored to permanently return to the organization): Mark Hunt, Mirko Cro Cop

I made some edits to this. Changed around some fighters... got rid of the prospects section, deleted the IFL. I decided to wait until after their second show to see what's going on with Affliction and include them in the organizations list. Looking over the roster for that first show it's hard to tell who is signed to them and who is a hired gun.