TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TSMAdmin

WWE Confidential August 17, 2002

Guest TSMAdmin

WWE Confidential August 17, 2002

Highest Rating: 1.5 (May 22, 2002)

Lowest Rating: 0.5 (June 29, 2002- Rerun of May 22, 2002 @ 8:00PM)

Last Week's Rating: 0.9

Yes, I know that there was no Confidential review last week. I suggest you all get over it because there is no way in hell I’m sitting through Rikishi’s life story.

Cover Story

This week’s big segment is devoted to the Australian tour. We start with the wrestlers on the plane. Is that Triple H standing in front of one of those Emergency Exit doors? The guys land and meet some of the fans. There seems to be one of those fan festivals going on, like the one they do before WrestleMania. Kurt Angle, Christian and Lance Storm talk about how worthless the Australian money is. They try to throw a boomerang, but don’t get very far. The Can-Am connection visits a zoo. Kurt really likes the Koala bears. He pets one. Christian and Lance feed the Kangaroos. Kurt is seen in the background saying, “Canadians…” What I want to know is why my American hero was chilling with those dastardly Un-Americans. Nidia and Jamie Noble go surfing. After that they tour a really cool looking national park. Nidia and Noble look like a real couple. Everyone goes to a charity dinner. Finally it’s show time. The WWE set a new attendance record of 56, 734 for the Colonial Stadium. Jamie Noble is really grateful that he was able to be involved in an event of this sort.

Segment 1: 1/1

Before They Were Superstars: Shawn Michaels

Mrs. Hickenbottom was hoping for a baby girl, but she got Shawn instead. Close enough. Anyway, she came around and he became her favorite. Shawn was a good kid even though he was spoiled at times. His friend Kenny remembers that everyone was afraid of Shawn because he was the biggest sophomore in school. They must have some pretty short people in San Antonio. Kenny goes on to mention that Shawn would have a different girl with him every night. HBK played football. He was good, but he wasn’t passionate about it. Shawn watched wrestling against his dad’s wishes. We get an old NWA clip of the Freebirds. His parents were against him pursuing wrestling. His dad thought that it was just a phase. Shawn and Kenny used to wrestle in the pool. They even put on a 35-minute match at the school talent show, which actually included blood. Shawn did pretty badly on his SATs scoring a 750. In college he failed every class except psychology. He decided to drop out after one semester, so he wouldn’t waste anymore of his dad’s money.

Segment 2: 2/2

The Rock prepares for his match with Brock Lesnar at SummerSlam. It looks like the Rock is kayfabing for part of this. Anyhow, the segment lasts about 3 minutes.

Segment 3: 2/3

Tazz talks about why he chose to quit wrestling and take up color commentating. Tazz did color for the first time at a SmackDown! taping in Louisville, Kentucky. You see he was feuding with Jerry Lawler at the time. On Raw Tazz attacked Lawler, so the King wasn’t able to fulfill his SmackDown! duties. Tazz was very nervous that night, although he ended up having very few problems. Michael Cole remembers Tazz doing a good job. I’m surprised Cole believes that he knows what it takes to be a good commentator. Tazz really honed his style while hosting HeAt. Once Tazz became a regular commentator, Paul Heyman told his ECW team that they might not be the best announcers in wrestling for long. I guess Heyman was still delirious in 2000. Tazz decided to stop wrestling because he is 35 now. He wants the younger guys to have their chance to shine.

Segment 4: 3/4

Before They Were Superstars: Shawn Michaels

Shawn trained under Jose Lothario for 3 months. Bill Watts sent him to Mid-South, where he first met Marty Jannetty. Shawn then came back to wrestle in San Antonio. Meanwhile, Marty got a job in the AWA. Shawn sent a tape to both the AWA and the WWF. Vern ended up signing him and the Rockers were formed. Pat Patterson saw the Rockers wrestle on ESPN. The Rockers jumped to the WWF. On their first night, all the boys wanted them to party after the show. Shawn and Marty declined until a road agent told them that they have to party that way they can meet everyone. So Shawn and Marty go to the club and Jimmy Jack Funk starts some shit with them. Shawn doesn’t actually mention Funk by name, but I have already heard this story on his shoot interview. Jimmy Jack blows the whole story out of proportion, which would lead to the Rockers getting canned a week later. Shawn and Marty worked in the CWA (Memphis) for a while until returning to the AWA. About a year later they went back to the WWF. Looking back at it, Shawn thinks he became a wrestler that way he could start a family and find Christ. This was more or less word for word what he said on his shoot interview.

Segment 5: 3.5/5

Back in Australia, Rico meets the fans. Generally I like Rico, but he didn’t do anything worthwhile here.

Segment 6: 3.5/6

The Australian segment and the Tazz bit were really cool. Everything else was just there. See you guys next week.

Retro Rob

Sign in to follow this