TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vyce

Yo Joe!

Guest Vyce

From the Yo Joe! website Yo Joe!:

Cartoon Network is bringing back the G.I. Joe cartoon, starting November 4 at 11:30 PM (Central). According to the schedule on their website, the cartoon will air Monday through Thursday nights at this time slot.

Finally! Now, if only we could get new cartoon episodes....

Guest thesmartmark

It actually has been on before late at night. I watched a few about 6 0r 8 months ago.

Guest starvenger

Hey, now I actually have something to watch at 11:30pm instead of... um, well...

Guest Zack Malibu

A new show is inevitable. Remember, everything old is new again, so with He-Man, Transformers, Thundercats, TMNT all gettting brought out of the woodwork in toy/comic/cartoon format, a new Joe show can't be too far behind.

Guest starvenger
A new show is inevitable. Remember, everything old is new again, so with He-Man, Transformers, Thundercats, TMNT all gettting brought out of the woodwork in toy/comic/cartoon format, a new Joe show can't be too far behind.

Yep, but so far the 80's revival has been fairly hit or miss:

Transformers

- the Armada cartoon is a miss if you're over the age of 12. I suppose that they were going for the kid audience, but they really should have tried harder to make it resonate more with the older fans.

- OTOH, the comics are excellent. Dreamwave has created it's own TF universe, and though there are a few kinks, it works pretty well.

He-Man

- The new cartoon is quite good, and I daresay better than the original cartoons I could do with less Orko, but really he's meant for the kiddies, so I'll let it pass...

- The comic is coming soon, but I feel that it'll be one of the weaker books. No real reason why, just a gut feeling.

Thundercats

- The comic blows. Avoid it at all costs. Hopefully a new cartoon (if there is one) will be better.

GIJoe

- I really couldn't get into the comic, but it isn't all that bad when it comes down to it.

Battle of the Planets

- Great comic, but that may be because it's more Gatchaman than BotP...

Guest Lethargic

Armada sucks because of things like on last week's episode. There was a scene where the robot was trying to reach up and grab a minicon through a hole in the roof. But his arms were too big to fit through the hole, they kept banging into the sides. So, one of the kids had to reach into the hole and get it since his arms are smaller.

So what plan did they use? You would expect that the robot would simply lift the kid up so he could reach into the hole and grab the minicon right? Wrong.

Instead, they search around and find an old beat up rusty half ladder. The kid climbs up the ladder while the other kids and the robot HOLD the ladder still for him.

WTF? You can't tell me that this show sucks because it's for kids. It sucks because the people behind it have no common sense at all. Scenes like that happen every single week where some complete retarded shit goes on and we're supposed to overlook it.

This is one where the people making the show think how to make a kids show is to make it stupid as hell. Kids are not this stupid. The original series was for kids too. They didn't make it for 20 year olds either. But they didn't insult kid's intelligence like this show does. Elmer Fudd falling for Bugs Bunny in women's clothing makes more sense than some of the stuff that goes on in Armada.

Guest starvenger

Lethargic, you're preaching to the converted. I actually do agree with you, and I suppose I could have worded things better.

So what plan did they use? You would expect that the robot would simply lift the kid up so he could reach into the hole and grab the minicon right? Wrong.

Instead, they search around and find an old beat up rusty half ladder. The kid climbs up the ladder while the other kids and the robot HOLD the ladder still for him.

Here's the thing. The kid (Carlos) is used for comic relief, therefore they try and retrieve the Minicon in such a way that the end result might be deemed "funny" by kids. Had the girl (i.e. the brains) retrieved it, I'm sure that the scenario you mentioned would've been played out. But I suppose a laugh was required, so Latino boy gets sent up the ladder. And no, I didn't find it funny.

WTF? You can't tell me that this show sucks because it's for kids. It sucks because the people behind it have no common sense at all. Scenes like that happen every single week where some complete retarded shit goes on and we're supposed to overlook it.

This is one where the people making the show think how to make a kids show is to make it stupid as hell. Kids are not this stupid. The original series was for kids too. They didn't make it for 20 year olds either.

Actually, I am telling you that the show sucks because it's for kids. And kids can be this stupid - I mean, how else can you explain the popularity of Pokemon, Digimon, Beyblade (they're fucking TOPS) et al.

Never forget that the object of these cartoons has been to push the toys. The story has never mattered as long as you can get kids to buy the product you're selling. To call them infomercials wouldn't be all that far off. They can be stupid as hell, but you can still get people to buy the product.

Guest T®ITEC
Never forget that the object of these cartoons has been to push the toys. The story has never mattered as long as you can get kids to buy the product you're selling. To call them infomercials wouldn't be all that far off. They can be stupid as hell, but you can still get people to buy the product.

That's why I hate cartoons now. The animation is poor, the story is poor, and it's all because no one cares. They're just out to sell merchandise. Back in the '80s, there seemed to be more cartoons that had some freakin' substance that could still sell toys. People just cared more back then or something... Shows like that could actually entertain people older than the target age group. Freakin' kiddies...

Oh, yeah... I think kids have gotten stupider, too, and these certainly can't be helping. For the amount of time kids put into junk like this... Gee.

Guest C.H.U.D.
He-Man

- The new cartoon is quite good, and I daresay better than the original cartoons  I could do with less Orko, but really he's meant for the kiddies, so I'll let it pass...

I agree, the new MOTU series is great. The new figures rock as well.

Guest starvenger
That's why I hate cartoons now. The animation is poor, the story is poor, and it's all because no one cares. They're just out to sell merchandise. Back in the '80s, there seemed to be more cartoons that had some freakin' substance that could still sell toys. People just cared more back then or something... Shows like that could actually entertain people older than the target age group. Freakin' kiddies...

Hey, just remember that for every Thundercats there was Kissyfur, Pandamonium, Snorks, Crystar and Bigfoot. Still a lot of crap, but every once in a while you get some brilliance despite the shilling of merchandise. The difference between now and then is that we only remember the good from back then, but still have to put up with the crap in the here and now.

Geez, I think I'm turning into Grumpy Old Man...

Guest El Satanico

Hey, just remember that for every Thundercats there was Kissyfur, Pandamonium, Snorks, Crystar and Bigfoot. Still a lot of crap, but every once in a while you get some brilliance despite the shilling of merchandise. The difference between now and then is that we only remember the good from back then, but still have to put up with the crap in the here and now

Exactly

Guest Lethargic

MY problem is that I've been collecting the original episodes. At the same time I've been watching Armada. The original show is so much better it's unbelievable. So it's not like I'm remembering the show from my childhood and making it out to be better than it was. It IS better. It has some crappy episodes sometimes but overall it's still a great show.

I've also been getting the original He-Man series. That is NOT as good as the show today. That's for sure.

And the same goes for the toys. The He-Man line looks cool as hell. Just like the show. The new Armada toys look stupid and cheaply produced just like the show. Plus they're 20 dollars a figure where He-Man is around 8.

But please don't compare Armada to Pokemon. Pokemon is far and away a better show than Armada is. Give me Pikachu, Bulbasaur and Charmander over Prime, Red Alert and Hot Shot any day.

Guest T®ITEC

See, this is why I'm glad my favourite '80s cartoon isn't popular enough to revive. From what I can tell, Hasbro doesn't even remember it, so lucky me. No bad remakes.

... And I've been watching it lately, too. Same for GI Joe, Thundercats... I mark for those old skool cartoons.

Guest starvenger
But please don't compare Armada to Pokemon. Pokemon is far and away a better show than Armada is. Give me Pikachu, Bulbasaur and Charmander over Prime, Red Alert and Hot Shot any day.

Once again, you missed the point of what I was typing. Armada is the same as Pokemon as it is the same with pretty much EVERY cartoon developed since the 80's - it's used to push a product. I can't comment on the quality of the show since I've never seen it. But I know a 30 minute infomercial when I see one.

Guest Prototype450

For some odd reason G.I Joe has been moved to 12:30 on the Midnight Run.

It would be cool if CN showed an hour of it at like 9. That way I can watch and still get some sleep.

Guest C.H.U.D.

I met a guy through eBay who is selling a 15 disc DVD set of every G.I. Joe episode in their original order. He sells them for about $70. It's a great deal, I'm just trying to convince him to ship to Canada.