TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TSMAdmin

Today in Wrestling History- The IC Title

Guest TSMAdmin

Today in Wrestling History (October 12)

by Jared "JHawk" Hawkins

Before we get to the point of this little shindig, a couple of administrative things. First off, I would like to formally welcome Alina to The Smart Marks, as her WCW Thunder review was both informative and entertaining. Other reviewers tried to accept bribes to even consider writing a review for it, and she did it on her own, and there's no way anybody will ever compensate her for her mental anguish.

Also, today is my birthday (YAY!). Only one more year until I am officially ineligible to ever appear on MTV for anything not WWE related. Anyway, those of you who want to show me love can buy me something from my Amazon wishlist. And anything I get will be reviewed for this website, so there's always incentive to buy me stuff. Or you can just send me Stacy Keibler. Priority mail. Hey, smart marks need loving too.

Anyway, on to the point of this article. With the Intercontinental Title to be discontinued after next weekend (barring a DQ), we ought to take a look back at its history as much as possible. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything for this time frame that would be considered better times for the I-C Title, so I'm afraid this is the best I can do.

The story so far: October 9, 1998: Triple H was undergoing/had undergone surgery on his knee (this sounds vaguely familiar) and was going to be out of action for an undisclosed amount of time. However, Helmsley was the reigning Intercontinental Champion at the time. Therefore, wwf.com reported that Vince McMahon had stripped Hunter of the title, and a one-night tournament was ordered for Raw is War.

Without any further ado... We go to October 12, 1998 from the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Uniondale, Long Island, New York. Good Ol' JR and The Pharaoh are making the call for the Intercontinental Championship tournament. Note: If something happened during these segments that didn't directly affect the outcome of the tournament, I'm probably not covering it anymore than mentioning it.

Quarterfinals

Kenny Scamrock vs. Steve Blackman

Two months before this, a misunderstanding during a Shamrock-Dan Severn match led to these two exchanging belly-to-belly suplexes. Blackman is in his first match back following a knee injury of his own. Shamrock attacks Blackman before the bell and levels him with a series of knees. Blackman fights back and hits a drop toehold followed by a running elbow for a count of two. High cross body attempted, and Shamrock catches Blackman in mid-air and powerslams him to the mat. Then Shamrock goes to work on Blackman's knee. Blackman eventually reverses a whip to the corner and clotheslines Shamrock for an advantage, but he makes a mistake by standing over Shamrock and taunting him. Shamrock simply grabs the ankle and turns it into the weakest-looking Ankle Lock I've ever seen for a submission victory in 2:29. This was actually decent for a two-minute special, but would have sucked the big one if it went any longer. * Postmatch, Blackman is attacked by The Blue Blazer, and then Shamrock slaps the ankle lock on him again.

Val Venis (w/Someone Feed Terri Runnels) vs. Marc Mero (w/Jacqueline)

"Hello, ladies. You know something, ladies? The Big Valbowski is a lot like a clock. You stick two hands and a face on it, and I'll tell you exactly what time it is." I always liked that one. Wrestling sequence to start, and then they exchange drop toeholds. Val takes Mero down with a powerslam for an early two count. A double underhook suplex gets a two count. Mero comes back with a vicious looking DDT and gets a two count of his own. Nice backdrop by Mero. Whip to the corner, and Mero takes Venis down with a Samoan drop. Mero wants to go up top, but Terri distracts him, so Mero turns around...right into a fisherman suplex for a Venis pinfall victory in 2:15. I'll ignore the daylight under the right shoulder if you will. * 3/4 Postmatch, Jacqueline starts beating the hell out of Terri until officials break it up.

Mankind vs. Mark Henry

Mankind introduced Mr. Socko to an unsuspecting crowd the week before. This is also during the Mark Henry-Chyna sexual harassment angle. Henry sends Mankind to the corner and punches him, and we waste no time before The Man Beast Chyna makes her way to ringside. Meanwhile, Henry is using his power arsenal to keep Mankind at bay. Henry targets the ankle, including a big splash that has Mankind screaming in pain. Bodyslam, and Henry up to the second rope for a splash to the leg, but Mankind rolls out of the way. He tries a comeback, but the ankle gives on an Irish whip attempt. Whip by Henry and a clothesline attempt, but Mankind hits the double-arm DDT. He takes off his shoe to "reduce the swelling", but in reality, it's an excuse to get Mr. Socko, execute the Socko Claw, and get a KO at 3:17. I love Foley, but any singles match Mark Henry is in is almost a guaranteed DUD. This is one of those. DUD Postmatch, Chyna is all "I didn't harass you, and Henry's all "Yes you did. Now where are my Cheesy Poofs?"

Jeff Jarrett vs. X-Suck

These two were in a hair vs. hair match at SummerSlam 98, and then at Breakdown, Jarrett nearly took out X-Pac's eye with a guitar shot. Jarrett continues the theme of the night by attacking X-Pac before the bell. X-Pac begins to fight back with chops, and he takes Jarrett down with a clothesline. but Jarrett regains control, takes X-Pac down with a huge backdrop, and then begins to target the neck. X-Pac fights back, gets a flying clothesline, but he gets crotched trying to go to the top rope. He knocks Jarrett off a superplex attempt, but a swanton attempt misses. Jarrett goes for a figure-four, but X-Pac counters with an inside cradle for 2. Jarrett quickly regains control, and a powerslam gets two. X-Pac goes back on the offensive and gets his kicks in the corner, but when he hops off the apron, he accidentally hits Mike Chioda is the eye. He goes for the bronco buster, but Jarrett counters with a boot to the testicles. Jarrett goes for the fuitar, but for some unexplained reason he pulls out Head instead, and the distraction is enough for X-Pac to hook a sunset flip for the pin at 3:09. Don't you love finishes that don't actually accomplish anything? 3/4* Ross says Al Snow outsmarted Jeff Jarrett despite Snow never being on camera the entire card.

Semifinals

Val Venis vs. Kenny Scamrock

Shamrock attacks Venis on the floor before the match even starts. At one point Shamrock rolls in and out to break the count, even though the match hasn't actually begun. Finally the match is officially underway, and it's still all Ken Shamrock. Hard bodyslam, and Shamrock makes his target Val's lower back. Camel clutch (sorta)! Val finally comes back with forearms, but Shamrock clotheslines him and covers for 2. And a snap suplex gets 2. Backdrop suplex, and Val is selling like a champ. And the Worst...Boston crab...Ever by Shamrock. That could be considered a tapout if you have a shitty referee, Val. Val finally crawls to the ropes for the break, but Shamrock keeps working on the back. Val finally comes back with some knees to the midsection, then it's a Russian legsweep. Hip swivel, and it's punch, elbowsmash, elbowdrop for 2. Irish whip, but Shamrock takes Val down with a chop block, then the Ankle Lock for the submission at 4:36. So much for all that work on the back. It's a shame too, because if the would have played into the finish this might have been much better. *, mostly for Val's selling. Postmatch, Goldust makes his return to set up his match with Val at Judgment Day.

Mankind vs. X-Suck

X-Pac starts with a side headlock, but Mankind quickly breaks it with a back suplex. Whip into the corner, but X-Pac catches him coming in with a spinning leg lariat. Quickly out to the floor, and X-Pac's not going to beat Mick Foley out there. He brings a chair into the ring, but Mike Chioda is able to get it away from him. Headbutt, but X-Pac starts using kicks to keep Foley at bay. Into the corner, and a bronco buster (I hate that fucking move). Foley comes back with a forearm shot. And a hair Beell. Ouch. X-Pac takes a tumble to the floor again, and Foley goes out and hits a swinging neckbreaker. X-Pac sells the neck like he broke it again. Foley rolls him back in, but as he follows, Ken Shamrock hits Foley's ankle with a chair, and X-Pac rolls Mankind up for the pin at 3:17. Everything you've come to expect from the enigma that is Sean Waltman. 3/4* Postmatch, Shamrock attacks X-Pac and locks in a figure-four headscissors in an attempt to injure X-Pac before the finals. Pat Patterson and Gerald Brisco lead Mankind to the back so he can't make the save.

Finals

Kenny Scamrock vs. X-Suck

The referees are asking X-Pac if he wants to go, and Hungry Hungry Hippos (w/crutches) is out there to tell them, "Let him go." Wouldn't a real friend be talking him out if it right now? Anyway, Shamrock might be more uncharismatic than Urkel with a head cold, but he's not a complete idiot, so he immediately targets the injured neck. Hunter joins us on commentary...don't get any ideas, WWE writers. A huge clothesline nearly takes X-Pac's head off! Shamrock drops X-Pac throat first onto the top rope, and X-Pac accentuates it with a twisting sell job. Shamrock drags X-Pac over to the ring apron, goes to the floor, and executes a dragon sleeper with X-Pac hanging over the apron. Nice spot. X-Pac finally gets some offense with a spinning leg lariat, and a spinning heel kick lays Shamrock out, but X-Pac can't cover. Into the corner, and the bronco buster (I know I'm repeating myself, but I hate that fucking move). Roundhouse kick attempted, but Shamrock catches the foot and immediately locks in the Ankle Lock. X-Pac reaches the ropes, but Shamrock pulls him to the center of the ring and applies it again. X-Pac makes a valiant effort toward the ropes, but before he can get there, Shamrock pulls him to midring again, and X-Pac is forced to tap out at 3:57. Shamrock is your new Intercontinental Champion, and JR sells the acheivement of wrestling three times in one night even though the final of King of the Ring that year was longer than all three matches combined. Actually pretty good for a 4-minute special, but Shamrock sure as fuck shouldn't have gotten the number two title at this stage. **

Aftermath: Even though the live crowd essentially shit all over Shamrock as Intercontinental Champion, Shamrock would go over Mankind a week later at Judgment Day on his way to a four-month title reign. Still the idea here was to make Shamrock look like an unstoppable monster while officially cementing his heel turn. I know I certainly hated Shamrock, but it had nothing to do with the booking.

Send your feedback here, and I won't make you take out the leading x.

Sign in to follow this