TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Saturday Night's Main Event

With the dvd set coming out today, let's have a discussion thread!

I think the big selling point of the series are the angles. The Megapowers, Savage and Elizabeth, etc. Some of the matches are very good though, and what's not good is mercifully short.

Quick 'n' Dirty Ratings for Matches on Disc 1

Hogan v Orton **

Piper v Orndorff **3/4

Hogan v Funk **1/2

Mr T v Orton DUD

Steamboat v Roberts ***

Roberts v Savage ***

Hogan v Orndorff ***1/2

Battle Royal ***

Hart Foundation v Bulldogs **1/4

Honky v Savage ***

Savage v Hitman ****

Steamboat/Windham/Rotundo v Steele/Sheik/Volkoff **

The battle royal I felt was very good, with the other 18 going right for Hogan and Andre. It gave the match a real flow right from the start.

Disc 2

Hogan v Bundy *1/2

Hogan v Andre DUD

Savage v DiBiase ***1/2

Hogan v Race **

Savage v Andre *1/2

Warrior v Honky Tonk Man *

Mega Powers v Twin Towers DUD

I'll watch this again, but Hogan acting like an utter tool really dragged down any potential enjoyment.

Hogan v BossMan **3/4

Rockers v Brainbusters **1/2

Dusty v BossMan **

Disc 3

Hogan/Warrior v Perfect/Genius **3/4

Hogan v Perfect **1/2

Rockers v Hart Foundation ***

Perfect v Santana ***3/4

Battle Royal **1/2

Hart v Dibiase ***

Hogan/Sid v Flair/Undertaker **1/2

Michaels v Bulldog ***

Michaels v Shane *

DX v Spirit Squad *

Edge v Cena *1/2

This is the sort of DVD that I might get if the price comes down at some point. The matches are decent enough but not that many classics. Is that Hogan/Andre match on disc 2 the one from the Main Event in Feb. 1988? That wasn't technically a SNME show, but it's good to have for historical purposes.

Michaels/Bulldog...the match that made me hate HBK for about 10 years. And considering there wasn't another SNME for 14 years maybe it killed the show as well.

I thought the slow count was funny, then all the sudden hogan pins terry and gets a super fast count.

This is the sort of DVD that I might get if the price comes down at some point. The matches are decent enough but not that many classics. Is that Hogan/Andre match on disc 2 the one from the Main Event in Feb. 1988? That wasn't technically a SNME show, but it's good to have for historical purposes.

Michaels/Bulldog...the match that made me hate HBK for about 10 years. And considering there wasn't another SNME for 14 years maybe it killed the show as well.

Kmart has it for $20. How low are you hoping to go?

The nice thing about Hogan/Andre is that they finally left the entire segment intact. You get Hogan throwing Earl OVER the heels into the aisle.

I posted this in the DVD thread in the WWE folder, but it's on this set, so here goes:

In the Hogan/Bundy match that opens disc 2, after Andre chokes Hogan out and Duggan makes the save with the 2x4, Duggan smacks the ring apron with it, a big piece flying into the crowd. They never showed that camera angle again after that. Did that seriously fuck a fan up?

It's interesting looking at the matches in retrospect and seeing what a hand NBC must have had. Several matches had noticeable stops in the action that allowed for commercial breaks. It's a rare match that exceeds ten minutes in length, and only Twin Towers/MegaPowers went longer than 15.

NBC also had a hand in all the filler skits. I believe Dick Ebersol even wrote some of them himself which of course led to the famous incident where Jake Roberts told him to fuck off (not realizing he was saying that to the head of NBC Sports)

Damn it, this isn't on Netflix yet. They're weird with WWE DVDs. Sometimes, they're on there right away and sometimes it takes a few years (The AWA one just got added). I'd love to see this but I'm a broke ass college student.

I wish they included a few Mountain Dew Slam of the Nights!

The Mega Powers/Twin Towers match will always have a special place in my ticker. It was just a few weeks prior that I started watching wrestling regularly and was getting into this angle and the WWF in general, but had no idea this match was taking place on a Friday night on NBC. Being six years old, I didn't really pay attention to the details.

When my mom alerted me that wrestling was on channel 3, I raced to the living room just in time to see most of the tag match. I was blown away by everything. It just seemed like a big fuckin deal. But wait! Not only did the Mega Powers split up but now we're getting Hercules vs Ted DiBiase . . . that's TWO fucking matches where guys who generally win are facing off w/ each other*. I was in heaven as they fish-hooked me for life.

*Bear in mind, I didn't have cable so syndication was my only option.

I'm with MilleniumMan, hell Megapowers Explosion is the night I began watching wrestling fulltime.

And I still think Hogan was an ass for going back with Elizabeth.

I'm with MilleniumMan, hell Megapowers Explosion is the night I began watching wrestling fulltime.

And I still think Hogan was an ass for going back with Elizabeth.

It happened about a year before I got into wrestling full time, but I still remember flipping the channel and seeing the end of that episode.

Hogan was definitely a dillhole. Even as a kid, I felt he was a bit of a bully for being a dick to the much smaller Savage. Though him hooking up w/ Elizabeth in the weeks and months to come didn't really register w/ me at the time as being prickish.

All the DVD set needed was Demolition and it would've been perfect.

Yeah...given all the times they appeared on SNME, at least one token match would have been nice.

I believe the Hogan-Bossman cage match is the one they show, right? I was at that show in Des Moines when it happened and when Hogan superplexed Bossman off the top of the cage it was truly a "Holy Shit" moment long before they chanted it.

I never caught that before, that is gold

"...need a countdown or something..."

I love it when Jesse calls Vince on things. Prime example, Vince said something about no one entering a battle royal to receive punishment. I thought that was a stupid thing to say (what, they just enter and hope they can be effortlessly thrown over the top rope?) and was glad to hear Jesse's reaction to it.

Did they edit out Hogan's subtle carny during the first aid room scene with Elizabeth?

Reference: 4:55 - 5:05

They did. I never noticed it watching it live, but man, is that funny now. Sorry that won't be shown to a wider audience.

I noticed a weird overdub on the Hogan/Orton match. They dubbed "Real American" in over "Eye of the Tiger", but they also overdubbed the Fink's intro with an intro from many years later, with Hogan being from Hollywood and weighing 275, instead of Venice Beach and 302.