TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kinetic

Make contentious statements

Guest Kinetic

Since dumbass word-association games are all the rage in the general folder, I thought I'd bring some of that fun into the music section.  I'll say something contentious--really outrageous, and I may believe it or not--and then someone else will dispute my claim.  After their argument, they'll make a contentious statement of their own.  The next person can argue whichever claim they want--I'm not a fascist.  I can see this getting all of three replies and forever sullying my good name here, but whatever.  That said:

Metallica is the living balls.  I'd give my own right arm to go back in time and ensure that they never formed.  They have not recorded a single good song in their entire existence.  James Hetfield looks like the cowardly lion.  Lars is a fucking cunt.  The little Puerto Rican guy is most likely a homosexual, which is not strange or wrong in and of itself but, per the Rob Halford Principle, seems strange in a metal band.  In closing, Metallica sucks ass.

Guest Red Hot Thumbtack In The Eye

hmmm...so you basically want people to argue your point and then flame you? and then someone to me...etc?

ok

Metallica is a great band...for one simple reason...Out of 4 marginally talented players(ya Cliff to...if he wanted to play like a guitarist he should have sprung for the extra 2 strings) they made arguably the biggest Metal band ever.

James can barely play himself out of a paper bag

Kirk can only play one style

Cliff tried to be a guitarist

Jason was to understated

Lar$ was a piss poor drummer that somehow fused his beloved NWOBHM sound with bay area aesthetics.

then they switched teams and became a decent hard rock band with a lot of blues influence...not bad in my opinion...

oh ya and a flame...uh...your posting sucks or something.

was that what you were looking for?

Guest Kinetic

It's only confusing because you're an idiot.  What I wanted was for someone to dispute my claim and then make on of their own.  So I say Metallica sucks.  You defend Metallica, then say something like "Jennifer Lopez's ass is my favorite recording artist."  Poster X then disputes that claim, and makes one of his or her own.  That's what I was looking for.

Guest Shaved Bear
It's only confusing because you're an idiot

well, at least you stayed true to the title description :)

Guest Kinetic
It's only confusing because you're an idiot

well, at least you stayed true to the title description :)

Reading back on that, I realize I may have been a bit harsh.  Your "Bossman-Ham Sandwich" comment in the WWF folder obviously disqualifies you from idiot status.  I'm just on edge.  It's tough to see a thread you created go down in flames like this.  I had high hopes...dreams that will never be realized.  My brainchild is a miserable failure.

Guest Mystery Eskimo

It fails for me because I also hate Metallica with a passion, especially Lars and his action against Napster.

Guest goodhelmet

Man, Kinetic I really want to hate you for trying to start a flaming thread but the Elvis avatar prevents me from disputing your claim.

Guest areacode212

I'll save your thread, Kinetic.

Nobody made a second contentious statement, so I guess I'll make one up. Hmm.

Pearl Jam is overrated. Eddie Vedder has an annoying voice and their songs aren't especially enjoyable to listen to (aside from the song they did with Cypress Hill on the Judgment Night soundtrack, which Eddie V. didn't take part in).

Hopefully people respond to these statements with logic and intelligent arguments instead of stuff like "U R A MORON!!!! METALICCA AND JAYMZ OWNZ J00!!!" or some shit like that.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

I can't really argue Red Hot's points about Metallica, nor areacode's points about the overrated shit called Pearl Jam, as I agree with them both...

Metallica, for as great as their music is, is more just one of those "takes a little while to learn to play" bands instead of those "holy shit this is hard to learn" bands (like Dream Theater).

Pearl Jam, though...easily one of the most overrated bands in existence. Ten and Vs. are GOOD albums, no doubt. But after the grunge era ended, did they offer anything worthwhile? Not at all. Vedder became a huge pussy by recording NOTHING but acoustic dreck (and I don't mean acoustic songs are for pussies, but everything Vedder does comes off as extremely pussified), and trying to be "in touch" with his feminine side. Jeez, Eddie, we get it that you don't want to be manly...stop trying to be a huge bitch about it!

Since I couldn't offer anything really new, I'm gone now...

Wait, I got a new one.

PUNK IS DEAD. It's been commercialized and raped by everybody and their mother so often that it's no longer rebellious, but just another way for angry teenagers to act tough. Stop dying your hair and put those safety pins back in the drawer, you're a posing bitch that wants to be Johnny Rotten but was born 25 years too late.

Guest TheyCallMeMark

Ref... re.... rebu... refubuttle:

Punk isn't dead, and I'll tell you why. Great punk bands that stick to what Punk is all about (sucking at what you do in the band) are still around today! Blink 182, Sum 41, Rancid and other such wonderful artists carry on the proud tradition of being shitty bands that suck so bad they have to make their own genre of rock called punk!

New arguement:

Fred Durst is straight. He told me not to talk to him because I didn't have boobs when we were at Ozzfest, so I only assumed he meant I didn't have natural female breasts! And anyone interested in that is either a homosexual scientist or a heterosexual anything else. And since I think it's easily dicernable that Fred isn't smart, he must not be a scientist which leaves the only other option. HETEROSEXUAL.

Guest KOR420

Metallica licks my hairy balls

Pearl Jam rules

And fred is a fucking faggot

I'm glad that Lars protested against Napster they were stealing music

Guest redbaron51

Metallica is one of the most influential bands as of this date. With out Metallica, bands like Pantera, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Korn, Megadeth, and many others would not existed. To some its good, and its bad.

Pearl Jam is a great alternative band, but always are shadowed behind Nirvana.

Thom York can't sing, he just whines.

Bruce Dickenson is the best vocalist ever, with his range no one can out sing him.

Carson Daily is a fuck head, I think we all agreed

Guest Kinetic
Punk isn't dead, and I'll tell you why. Great punk bands that stick to what Punk is all about (sucking at what you do in the band) are still around today! Blink 182, Sum 41, Rancid and other such wonderful artists carry on the proud tradition of being shitty bands that suck so bad they have to make their own genre of rock called punk!

:angry: Woah.  That's the stupidest thing I've ever read, and I'll tell you why.  Punk *saved* rock music in the late 70s.  These fucking horrible bands like Journey and Foreigner had just sucked the vitality out of it.  It was no longer a cultural entity and a force to be reckoned with; it was a pale, lifeless corpse mouthing the words to "Come Sail Away."  Punk renewed all of the vitality to rock music by making it not only loud, crass, and angry but also stylistically diverese.  Think about some of the bands that are associated with that era: The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Blondie, Talking Heads, Elvis Costello and The Attractions...not one of them sounds all that similar.  After awhile, a sound an image became associated with punk; that of the leather jackets, spiky hair, safety pins, etc.  It's like Johnny Rotten said in The Filth and the Fury: Something that was originally based on individuality adopted a uniform, and it more or less died there.  But to suggest that punk was never important because it doesn't feature fifteen minute guitar and drum solos is ludicrous.  

Kinetic-Punk as fuck

Guest Kinetic
Metallica is one of the most influential bands as of this date. With out Metallica, bands like Pantera, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Korn, Megadeth, and many others would not existed. To some its good, and its bad.

Thom York can't sing, he just whines.

Metallica's influence on Nirvana is debatable at best.  They sounded nothing alike, were completely different stylistically, and had completely different core influences.  In fact, it isn't debatable...Metallica wasn't an influence on Nirvana at all.

I've gone through why you're wrong on the Thom Yorke thing.  I'm not going to do it again, but it should suffice to say that you're out of your mind.

Statement: The fact that Elton John has had such a successful career is only further proof that people are fucking stupid.

Guest muzanisa

Ummmmmmmmmm

Elton's new Video's are ok. Love the lookey likeys

The Attractions are overrated Davey farragher is much better on bass than Bruce Thomas and Suit of lights is the worse thing on King of America. Costello is better just working with Steve Nieve and occasionally Pete Thomas on drums but fuck it anyone can play drums right?

Guest goodhelmet

Are you fucking mad? Elton John has created some of this eras most inspired, poetic and enlightened music ever. Captain Fantastic has captured people's hearts and minds regardless of his sexuality, his horrible costumes and revolting looks. Elton is proof that good music will shine through the muck anyday. While the Bee Gees and Silver Convention were dishing out the disco shit, his first albums were the perfect antithesis. While his appearance was lavish and bombastic, the music was sincere and intelligent. It also helps that Bernie taupin was writing the lyrics. As for his 80's music, I completely agee. It was shit.

STATEMENT: The Beatles were one of the worst bands to ever come along and their influence on rock music is highly overrated.

Guest muzanisa

Bernie Taurpin Lyric

I sat on the roof and kicked off the moss, well some of my lyrics they made me quite cross.

The Byrds were a much better group than the Beatles in all their incarnations.

Guest Kinetic

Elton has a couple of good songs, but nowhere near enough to justify the sort of consistently successful career he's had.  He has a really irksome tendency to write horrible, insipid songs.  He's overrated to the point of insignificance.

The Beatles, on the other hand, are one of the best bands to ever come along and their influence on rock music is inestimable.  They did so many different styles and did them all well.  Three absolutely fantastic songwriters were in that band and they all contributed to what eventually became some of the best albums not only of that era, but of any era.  Ever.  Sgt. Pepper is overrated, though.  Oh, yeah...the suite that makes up the second side of Abbey Road is probably the best music to be made in the rock and roll era, from then to now.  Bar fucking none.

Guest redbaron51

Statement: This thread sucks

I mean its all about bitching, and basically hard to prove someone's opinion., but really its nothing but glorified spam

And yes Thom Yorke whines not sings:D

Guest goodhelmet

"He's overrated to the point of insignificance."

Hardly. His first oh, 6 albums contain some of the finest music ever released with styles as diversified as anything the Beatles put out. On the basis of Captain Fantastic and Don't Shoot Me alone, he has had a hall of fame career. As for anything after Blue Moves, it sucks. You're right.

As for the beatles, i agree completely since I'm a huge Beatles fan and almost cried trying to insult their superior music-making powers. And to even think they are overrated *shudder*

Statement: Elvis Costello would have sold infinitely more records if he wasn't so damn goofy looking.

Guest muzanisa

Elvis has not been goofy looking since armed forces.

Bjork wouldn't have had a career if she came from Poughkepsie

Guest Kinetic
Statement: Elvis Costello would have sold infinitely more records if he wasn't so damn goofy looking.

I can't argue with that.  He looks really cool in certain pictures (like my avatar, for instance) but just hideous in others.  He looks cool now, though.  Very subdued and elder statesman-like.  The decline in his mainstream popularity had everything to do with that Ray Charles comment, though.  If not for that, people would probably actually remember who he is.

Regardless of where she was from, if Bjork had released superlative albums like Post and Homogenic, she'd have been appreciated.  

Statement:Sting's solo career represents the most embarrassing decline from greatness in the history of popular music.

Guest goodhelmet

Rebuttal: Sting leaving the police was the greatest career move he could make. While the Police were an excellent band, it was clear Sting wanted to expand his musical horizons and not be pigeonholed in a 3 piece that offered little flexibility. With his solo career, Sting was able to explore sounds and rhythyms not found in any Police song.

Statement: 'My Aim Is true' is the most overrated debut album ever and doesn't hold up to truly great debuts like Appetite for Destruction.

Guest redbaron51

Very true for that statement, but I don't think Apetite for Destruction is even that good either. Its better than My Aim Is True, not nearly as good as Zepplin I or Black Sabbath s/t.

Statement: Stairway to Heaven is not a great guitar solo

Guest goodhelmet

I don't know how to play guitar so I can't really argue what makes a great solo from a technical standpoint, so I'll argue the Zeppelin-Sabbath argument.

While Zeppelin 1 is solid (Your Time is Gonna Come, Communication Breakdown) it sounds dated and is hard to connect with at this point in time. Dazed and Confused is one of the most overrated Zep songs ever and I question why it was a concert staple of theirs in the drug-hazed 70's.

Black Sabbath's debut was evil and dark and Satan incarnate but the music is mediocre at best. The song Black Sabbath is lazyand directionless. Everything besides 'The Wizard' (which was played at Ozzfest, YES) is mediocre and doesn't hold a light to later Sabbath albums like Paranoid, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage

Statement: Poison was the best hair band of the 80's and personifies what music was about in the Reagan decade. ;)

Guest Kinetic

The only thing Sting's explored since leaving The Police has been sucking and sucking worse.  His solo music is just embarrassingly adult-contemporary.  It saddens me to know that people of my age group think of Sting as just another guy on VH1 or the dude that originally wrote the Notorious B.I.G. tribute song.  Little flexibility?!  The later albums, like     Synchroncity, are much more varied and incorporate much more diverse instrumentation than their early albums.

As far as that second statement goes, there aren't enough exclamations and obscenities in my vocabulary to express how wrong, wrong, wrong that is.  I realize that Appetite For Destruction is revered in certain circles and I totally respect that.  But to imply that My Aim Is True is anything less than a fantastic debut record and probably the best manifesto of geekdom ever is blatantly incorrect.  There isn't a bad song on it.  If you consider the version that has "Watching the Detectives," you've got yourself one of the top five debuts of all time.

Statement: I mentioned this earlier and feel that it merits discussion.  The suite on side 2 of Abbey Road is the best piece of music in the rock and roll era, all the way up until now.

Guest Kinetic
Statement: Poison was the best hair band of the 80's and personifies what music was about in the Reagan decade. ;)

"Best hair band" is oxymoronic.  They did personify what music was about in the 1980s, though, which is mostly just not being very good.  There were tons of great albums released in the 80s, but I'd say the 90s pretty much dwarfed that feat.  

Statement: The world would be better off had Keith Richards died in, let's say, 1975.

Guest goodhelmet

Damn you Kinetic! I can't argue that. And to think that the songs were only half-finished piece that were written either during the Let It Be or White Album sessions. Bathroom Window is pure pop goodness. Golden Slumbers-Carry That Weight-The End blend seamlessly and give the listener a tidal wave of mixed emotions ranging from Melancholy to Bitterness to Happiness. One of the few Beatles albums that transcends time and can't be captured in a time capsule

Statement: Neil Young's catalog of music is more profound and meaningful than anything ever composed by Metallica

Sign in to follow this