TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

Ok, this thread is just for random MMA discussion. Any significant news and PPV threads stay out. Anything goes in here: Favourite Fighter, Favourite Event, Favourite Fight, Dream Matches, etc. etc. etc. If you want to talk about something but don't feel like it warrants a thread, well, here's one for you.

What spawned this?

I just finished watching UFC 40: Vendetta. I found it on an unmarked tape and it was the first time I watched it since it happened. I remembered it as a great event but SHIT this is an AWESOME event. I don't think I gave it enough credit. EVERY undercard match was fun to watch. The main event was better live because you had that "anything can happen" feel; but I was SHOCKED at how good that undercard was when I was watching it tonight. Weir vs. Miller was amazing! The show had a ton of sweet finishes; Arlovski, Lawler, and Liddell, all with KTFO endings. A must-see show. I can't believe I forgot about how good it was.

I just recently got Pride FC Cold Fury 2 on DVD. Are the matches on there pretty much what I should expect from Pride and MMA in general(that was my first purchase of a MMA DVD)

MMA is a huge mixed bag. There are a lot of excellent events out there and there are some stinkers. For example, I am watching UFC 23: Ultimate Japan 2 and it fucking sucks ass. Donkey Ass. Big fat Donkey ass. This is sleep inducing and I turned the VCR off cause I'll never watch this event again (they didn't show the match you wanted to see lei). Lemme put it in perspective:

Today I watched two shows: UFC 40: Vendetta, and UFC 23: Ultimate Japan. One of the UFCs best shows vs. one of their worst. I would say that UFC 40 is a better representation of the quality of MMA today than UFC 23. Since UFC 40 we had PRIDE 25, UFC 43, PRIDE TE, UFC 44, and PRIDE FC. 6 Events that are just AWESOME. Then there are PRIDE 24, UFC 41, UFC 42, PRIDE 26 UFC 45, PRIDE Bushido, and UFC 46. *All* of these shows were _at least_ "Good". MMA has a freaky success rate over the past year-and-change and that's because of the quality of fighters. It's almost impossible to have a bad show because these guys are so good and well trained.

Cold Fury 2 is nowhere near the best that there is to see. It's not a horrible card by any means (IIRC), but there's no "Big match" in it. And the "Big Match" is really important and can really make you excited; even more than you thought you could be. PRIDE was at a transition period at that time from changing the old guard with the new guard and this card was kinda throw-away considering what surrounded it. Ninja, Silva, Jackson are the three names from that show that carry on strong to today. Shoji, Vovchanchyn, Matsui are names from the earlier PRIDEs. The rest of the names aren't real superstars; Overeem, Takayama, Shilt, Horn, Yamamoto, Steibling, Goes... they're "names" you know, but not many people get hot over them. I wouldn't say this is what you should expect from MMA, but it's something you shouldn't ignore.

Well I'll just say I got into MMA over the past year after reading so much praise about it in The Wrestling Observer and all the hype upcoming events were getting at this very forum (specifically from RRR). The 2 events upcoming were UFC 43 and Pride 26. I was unsure whether I'd like it or not from my love of wrestling but figured I had nothing to lose since I had a friend who got them for free tape both for me.

UFC 43 was a good show. I immediately got into the Chuck Lidell vs. Randy Couture storyline and from the way they built up this guy Lidell I figured there was no way he'd lose. Well it turned me into a Randy Coutoure fan, that's for sure! Otherwise I was excited to see Tank fight since I knew him from WCW...uh yeah his match really didn't make me want to see him again! The Mir/Simms fight was great from a wrestling fan's perspective since it made Simms a huge heel. Oh and Vitor opening up a huge gash on Marvin Eastman's head was pretty darn cool too!

I liked Pride 26 too, but I think in watching both back to back I liked UFC a little better. I don't know if it just had more of a pro wrestling feel, or what but that was just my initial opinion. The presented main event of Frye vs. Coleman was pretty boring from my perspective but I became a big Fedor fan with his win over Fujita with the CHOKE! Oh and that Cro Cop guy seemed pretty scary too.

It was Pride Total Elimination that made me a Pride fan, as it was a fantastic show top to botom. Now that I knew who most of these guys were it gave me more perspective too and made me appreciate the fights more. I can't even decide which fight I liked best! Lidell/Overheem was a solid match, Tamura vs. Yoshida was just insane and high energy and Rodriguez/Nogeira (controversial decision aside) and Bustamante/Jackson were both excellent bouts. And Cro Crop, Fedor and Silva continuing to be monsters was cool too. This was pretty much the perfect show I think.

Final Conflict pretty much matched the previous show in quality. Cro Crop vs. Nogeira was such a markout type match with the way it went, Liddell vs. Jackson was an excellent fight and Yoshida vs. Silva stole the show. Silva vs. Jackson was good too.

I sat out the next 2 UFC shows because of unfamiliar undercard but got UFC 46 and even with the disappointing main event it was still a highly enjoyable show. Simms/Mir was just awesome and again had that wrestling match feel. BJ Penn's upset was just awesome and Lee Murray instantly made me a fan.

On DVD I got UFC 44 so I could watch Coutoure/Ortiz and yeah Coutoure just owned Tito in that match the whole way through. All the other matches were good too, if somewhat unmemorable. It was my first look at Tim Sylvia and I like what I see, so I look forward to his return.

I also got Pride 10 on DVD which is a really good top to bottom show. Belfort pounding Matsui bloody was cool as were Silva and Yvel's scary knockouts. It was also my first look at Ken Shamrock in MMA and he was impressive until basically giving up at the end.

I also got Pride 13 on DVD but have yet to watch it, but I'll post my thoughts here after I do.

This has been my rambling thoughts on the MMA shows I've seen (all of which I've enjoyed).

RRR, are any of the Prides 1-8 worth picking up outside of 2 (Sak/White) and 3 (Sak/Newton)? Is Igor/Bueno from Pride 8 the one they always use in the Igor highlight video, that alone might be worth 10 bucks?

I picked up Cold Fury 2 over the weekend as well. Igor/Overreem was a fun match with an out of nowhere finish, a Ninja/Andrade (I am enjoying watching the first few Ninja matches, he is always moving forward), and a Takayama match (I just mark out seeing the ugliest person in the world).

Guest ArchoanJB

I just got Pride 17 (with Silva vs. Sak rematch) and it was a awesome show, Heering vs. Nog was an AWESOME match, that just blew me away. From top the bottom it was a show that was never boring and had some amazing fights, Amazingly enough I got it for 10 at Best Buy (as well as the first ROH show).

Have any of you guys picked up Championship Choas (name of the DVD)?

Yeah, I got Championship Chaos. As you said great show top to bottom, save for the Gracie/Ohara abortion. I am surprised they did not include CroCop/Takada on the DVD since they included the unaired fights on the Cold Fury DVD.

Morning thoughts:

RRR- No prob about not getting the Yamamoto fight. The tournament was mostly for the Japanese fans, so no suprise.

Do not insult the HOTNESS~! of Takayama.

I'm a little upset that the Russians got stomped at the Russia vs. the World, but most of the guys are untested at that level and Semenov doesn't care much anymore.

Anybody have any ideas for my next highlight? Fighters? Music? Speaking music, anyone know how I could possibly rip music from a PS2 disc to my hard drive? A couple of the PRIDE FC themes would fit well.

After watching UFC 43 and KOTC 3/4 dvds I am a fan of Falaniko Vitale. In the UFC match vs Matt Lindland it started out with the standing stall tact by Matt who was going for knee strikes and went for the takedown but Vitale countered with trip takedown of his own causing Matt to fall on his head for the quick KO after one punch the ref stopped the fight.

In the King of the Cage match which are usually are not that good but for $5.50, but who cares right. It was Vitale vs Aaron Torres in a match that showed Vitale's ground game and his ability to get out of the choke with ease. Vitale was able to escape the guard of a ju jitsu fighter and float around to the mount for a cross armbar attempt then to triangle armbar for the finish.

This low card fighter has a future in MMA.

IMO, the only reasons to get the earlier PRIDEs is for Nostalgia and Novelty. The better stuff is clearly after the Grand Prix. If you're asking if you should get PRIDE 8, sure. It's a historically notable event (first Sakuraba/Gracie match), it has early Silva, Iha/Trigg was a really fun match, as was Gracie/Otsuka IIRC (I've only seen it once), and you've got your stinkers on it but there is some stuff on there worth getting. That is the infamous "timerbeeeer *punch punch punch*" which is all in good, clean fun.

PRIDE 6 and PRIDE 4 are also pretty decent shows IIRC. The reasons to get these 3 events would be more to fill out your collection than anything. But if you've got money to spend...

How are the newer PRIDE DVD's? I only have PRIDE 9 and it just has fighter bios and a history of PRIDE for extras.

Anybody have any ideas for my next highlight? Fighters? Music?

I would love to see highlights of more unknown fighters and promotions, myself. Something that could help introduce people like me to things beyond PRIDE and the UFC.

And an Akira Shoji highlight reel :)

"Adrenaline" by Gavin Rosdale (used for Unforgiven 2002 in the WWE), Staind's "So far away", hell, anything from AC/DC...

The only extras they have are highlights and a history of Pride segment. Around 16 or 17 they started to put in a fighter photo gallery, but nothing worth buying the DVD for if you didn't want the event.

I have all the Prides up to 18 on DVD and have rented most, if not all, of the pre-UFC 15 tapes from Blockbuster. After that, I haven't seen much UFC except for UFC Hits and such.

Should K-1 be included in this, cuz I really, really, dig it, even though it's no where near as good as it was in '96 - '99.

Guest HungryJack

WWE should just go the whole 9 and start calling 'Taker "Texas Crazy Horse"

UNDERHERRING!

He is the Texas Crazy Hoss :)

I was watching Fedor/Noguiera and Fedor/Fujita again tonight (You can DL it on Fedors website) and DAMN, he just TAGGED Noguiera around the 8 minute mark of their match. I must've watched that a dozen times in a row. You never quite prepare yourself for such a thing of beauty. The Fujita match is off-the-charts, though. It's a total Rocky story, but then in the end Apollo says "fuck this" and chokes Rocky out like a motherfucker.

Guest HungryJack

What is the URL for this website???

Fedor is a scary scary man.

Not quite Cro-Cop scary, but I'd wet myself before he hit me nonetheless.

Anyone see Carson Daly last night? A recap or video download would be nice.

For those who don't know, it featured Chuck Liddell AND Tito Ortiz. I'm assuming it was good, waiting to watch it myself though.

The late late late late late night show at 3:00 AM or TRL B-)

RECAP WITH LIDDELL AND ORTIZ ON NBC'S LAST CALL WITH CARSON DAILY

Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz appeared on national television on NBC's "Last Call with Carson Daily". Liddell came out and talked with Carson briefly saying he will defeat Tito Ortiz on April 2nd. After a brief interview, they introduced Tito Ortiz via satellite in Burbank, California.

Tito said he had been training with the guy who made "Chuck cry like a bit#$h" in Quinton Jackson. Tito would make some cracks in typical Tito fashion. Chuck didn't seem interested in getting into a verbal battle with Ortiz and Chuck said that he would let his talking happen on April 2nd.

Ortiz continued his verbal assault saying he went five rounds with Randy Couture while Chuck just went three. Ortiz said he will go full board for three rounds and that he would stand and "punch through" Chuck Liddell. Liddell said he looked forward to the challenge.

(www.mmaweekly.com)

RECAP WITH LIDDELL AND ORTIZ ON NBC'S LAST CALL WITH CARSON DAILY

Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz appeared on national television on NBC's "Last Call with Carson Daily". Liddell came out and talked with Carson briefly saying he will defeat Tito Ortiz on April 2nd. After a brief interview, they introduced Tito Ortiz via satellite in Burbank, California.

Tito said he had been training with the guy who made "Chuck cry like a bit#$h" in Quinton Jackson. Tito would make some cracks in typical Tito fashion. Chuck didn't seem interested in getting into a verbal battle with Ortiz and Chuck said that he would let his talking happen on April 2nd.

Ortiz continued his verbal assault saying he went five rounds with Randy Couture while Chuck just went three. Ortiz said he will go full board for three rounds and that he would stand and "punch through" Chuck Liddell. Liddell said he looked forward to the challenge.

(www.mmaweekly.com)

Yeah I read that, I'd have liked to seen their reactions though.

I loooooove watching unmarked tapes!

Yesterday I put one in and voila~! UFC 36: World Collide!

I've only watched the first two matches (Evan Tanner vs. Elvis Sinosic, Matt Lindland vs. Pat Miletech) and am up to Hughes vs. Sakurai. The other matches:

Couture vs. Barnett

Rizzo vs. Arlovski

Dullany vs. Serra

Mir vs. Williams

Sherk vs. Nakao*

(*the only one not shown on PPV, IIRC)

The GP is next month?!? Shit. I gotta start paying attention :)

UFC 47 is a definite buy, so I won't be getting Bushido 2. I can't watch a show with that much of a delay on it (at least, I won't _pay_ 30 bucks for one), I love the excitement of a live event where you get the "anything can happen" feel. It's like a drug.