TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

WEC 36: Faber vs. Brown

MAIN CARD

* Champ Urijah Faber vs. Mike Brown (for featherweight title)

* Champ Paulo Filho vs. Chael Sonnen (for middleweight title)

* Leonard Garcia vs. Jens Pulver

* Jake Rosholt vs. Danillo Villefort

* Donald Cerrone vs. Rob McCullough

PRELIMINARY CARD

* David Avellan vs. TBA

* Danny Castillo vs. Ed Ratcliff

* Johny Hendricks vs. Alex Serdyukov

* Yoshiro Maeda vs. Rani Yayha

* Steve Steinbeiss vs. Alex Schoenauer

* Jose Aldo vs. Jonathan Brookins

This card is so fucking dope... I don't even know where to start. Look at those top three bouts... just awesome. If Garcia beats Jens, he fights Urijah and that's probably going to be a great fight. Garcia hung w/ Huerta despite being completely outsized and we all know Jens brings 100% every time...also The Cowboy vs. Razor Rob for a shot at Jamie Varner and the prime-time debut of Jake Rosholt, who is an absolute stud.

Maeda vs. Yayha! Fuck yea..if there's any luck that will make the broadcast, but it may not because if at all possible they are also going to want to get Rosholt's teammate and also highly touted Johnny Hendricks on the air. Those are two star-quality guys they have there.

Those of you with HDNet might remember the two of them for being guests on Inside MMA within a few weeks of each other and also for the card they co-headlined that they broadcast.

This is next week! Fuck yes!

It's a good thing for WEC that Faber is a huge star because it's a bit weak that he's defending against a guy who's been given zero North American exposure. Hopefully they've been able to air Curran/Brown so that people at least know who he is.

I think in an effort to prove that he's truly beaten his depression - Paulo Filho should wear the most magnificent cutoff flannel he can find. I'm talking the type that would make a honest to god lumber jack say, "Wow, what an excellent flannel. That man truly has his head on straight."

According to Fightopinion and a link to CBS Sports, the WEC show is off.

Their postponing it until 11/5 due to the Hurricane about to hit.

Shitty day for MMA what with Karo/Yoshida being off, Lyoto/Silva being off, and now this.

Okay, it's next week and the show still kicks ass despite the momentum being severely derailed. Main card was announced today...

Faber vs Brown

Pulver vs Garcia

Sonnen vs Filho

Osterneck vs Rosholt

Cerrone vs McCullough

I really like this show even though I think Yayaha vs Maeda should be on the main card instead of Rosholt vs Osterneck. Faber has been on a streak of awesome lately, Pulver vs Garcia has fireworks written all over it, hopefully I see my man Cowboy school Razor Rob and we'll see if Sonnen can dominate Filho like last time without screaming like a bitch.

Fuck that noise. I love WEC but my PPV buying budget is already pretty stretched as it is... I even skip some UFCs nowadays.

I can't see this working out for Dana and co.

For a second I was thinking that this card has Tamura/Fabiano and was mildly disappointed when I saw that it didn't but then I looked at the card again and my disappointment went away.

Couple Tamura/Fabiano w/ Tapia/Torres and that's two homerun cards in a row.

The two month delay, if nothing else, gave Filho time to pick out the perfect cutoff flannel.

Or come in 7 pounds over.

Featherweight (145 lbs.): Urijah Faber (144.5) vs. *Mike Brown (145.5)

Middleweight (185 lbs.): *Paulo Filho (192) vs. Chael Sonnen (184.5)

Featherweight (145 lbs.): Jens Pulver (146) vs Leonard Garcia (145.5)

Middleweight (185 lbs.): Nissen Osterneck (184.5) vs. Jake Rosholt (185.5)

Lightweight (155 lbs.): Rob McCullough (155.5) vs. Donald Cerrone (156)

Middleweight (185 lbs.): David Avellan (185) vs. Aaron Simpson (184.5)

Featherweight (145 lbs.): Jose Aldo (146) vs. Jonathan Brookins (146)

Light Heavyweight (205 lbs.): Carmelo Marrero (206) vs. Steve Steinbeiss (202)

Lightweight (155 lbs.): Rafael Dias (155) vs. Danny Castillo (156)

Bantamweight (135 lbs.): Yoshiro Maeda (135) vs. **Rani Yahya (137)

I don't think enough people are hardcore MMA fans enough to be buying WEC ppvs. Besides Uriah Faber they have no name recognition.

Maybe they could do a version TUF for WEC because I think that really brought in a new crowd for UFC.

I think that Champ Paulo Filho vs. Chael Sonnen should still be a title fight. However the champ should be stripped and only the challenger is fighting for the title. Should Chael lose then it's vacant. No excuse for not making weight

7 pounds over is inexcusable for the 2nd best middleweight in the world... no doubt about it.

After depression and rehab and what not you have to wonder how much Filho's head is still in the game at this point.

Well... maybe not now but before the first Sonnen fight yes. I'd say so.

The irony is that Sonnen is probably the second best guy he's betaen outside of Misaki. It could be argued that had something to do with the way he looked, along with Sonnen being the first above average (nevermind good) wrestler he had to fight.

Update on Filho; middleweight title

By Dave Meltzer

After two hours of attempting to cut weight, Paulo Filho came in at 189.5 pounds, missing weight by 4.5 pounds in his scheduled WEC middleweight title defense against Chael Sonnen tomorrow in Hollywood, FL on a live Versus special.

The match has been changed to a non-title match at 189.5 pounds, with Filho forfeiting 25% of his purse in the deal to get Sonnen to agree to the match. Due to the championship not being at stake, the match will be three rounds instead of five.

The title situation was something of a moot point to begin with. This was the final WEC middleweight title match as the division is being dropped, with the champion and top contenders being moved to UFC in 2009.

Filho, the champion, who has been out of action after a stint at a drug rehabilitation center, first weighed in at 192.5 pounds for a title fight with a 185-pound limit.