TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

Lesnar/Mir II postponed to July

Per Sam Caplan @ 5OuncesofPain

A planned rematch between Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir for UFC 98 on May 23 that would have unified Lesnar’s UFC heavyweight title and Mir’s interim UFC heavyweight has been canceled.

Multiple sources have confirmed to FiveOuncesOfPain.com that the UFC was recently informed by Mir’s camp that he has been unable to train recently due to a back injury that could require surgery.

There is no word as to whether Lesnar will remain on the card against a new opponent or if he will be taken off the card entirely.

Well if nothing else the Gonzaga/Carwin fight tomorrow night just took on quite a bit more importance. They could scrap Kongo/Hardonk in Montreal and give us Kongo/Brock.

Meh. I think Mir was riding in on the fact that he beat a shopworn fighter, so the idea of him in a title fight didn't thrill me. I'm not really sure who they could immediately shoot into a title match, except maybe Dos Santos.

It all depends on timing now. If Kongo can drop Hardonk and be able to fight by then, it'll probably be him.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the same scenario for Carwin if he wins and Kongo loses/And or won't be ready by then.

They can't just wait to use Brock. They want Brock to fight at least two/three times per year since he's such a buyrate draw. Waiting for Mir to get ready would probably end up killing one of Brock's fights for the year.

I'd agree, but if you want Brock to fight sooner rather than later, Dos Santos is about the only credible guy you could throw in there right now. The Werdum win alone is worth more than anything any other contender has done of late.

Oh well, I just bought tickets for this show too. I'm not to upset because I damn sure didn't buy the tickets for Frank Mir. As long as there still is a title fight I will be good. I might just vomit if the main event is going to be Matt Hughes vs Matt Sera.

Kongo probably wouldn't, but I wouldn't rule it out either. Dana White is VERY particular when it comes to that type of thing. He'd consider it, as he would put it, "Being a real fucking fighter" to step up to fight Brock. Fighters HAVE to be aware by now that if Dana comes to you in desperation, it's probably best for your career long term to agree.

That's if he's capable. If he's got an injury coming off the fight, or he uses too much to take down Hardonk, it's out of the question. But if he destroys Hardonk, then turns around and says he's not feeling it for Brock? That won't make Dana very happy with him. Given the star power, and the guys coming up, if such a scenario happened Kongo would probably never touch a title shot again.

Brock has to fight relatively soon, and it has to be against someone who might mean something. I don't know who else they could do besides the three mentioned so far.

I doubt Dana wants to enter a situation where desperation gives Fedor increased bargaining leverage and only 2 months to promote the fight.

One idea being floated around on some places is GSP vs. Alves to fill the gap.

What marketable HW is out there to fill the gap? Strictly from a sports logic standpoint, you can point to Kongo or dos Santos, but none of them versus Lesnar are much business at this point.

Brock has so much power that you don't overly NEED anyone. He'll probably spike a 500,000+ buyrate on his own. The problem is, they felt internally that Brock/Mir II would reach 1 million which it probably would have came near given both man's abilities to bullshit. Brock versus anyone else won't.

It's a tough situation for UFC. Lei may be right. Dos Santos might be the best option. I'd be a little afraid that Santos wins though, and given that he has no power to his name that'd be a kinda bad situation...but if he beats Brock, it should make him somewhat of a star almost by default.

I don't think JdS is a super dangerous fight for Lesnar, as his wrestling isn't up the level of a Velasquez or Carwin, and he doesn't have the BJJ of guys like Mir, Minotauro, Gonzaga, etc. So while he could easily smash Lesnar in a stand-up battle, Lesnar could just take him down and grind him out.

Update on Mir vs. Lesnar

As of about an hour ago the fight had not been officially canceled. Mir's injury requires arthroscopic surgery and it will be touch and go. He may be able to do the May show or it may be moved to UFC 99 or 100. More later tonight.

F4W