TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

2006 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Okay I have one coming out of Boston. Rumor has it that Atlanta and Boston have discussed a Coco Crisp, Craig Hansen, +, + deal for Andruw Jones. It was apparently discussed earlier in the year but fell through because Hansen was not eligible to be traded until July 24th. A second amended deal also included Smoltz, but I won't even discuss that one because it sounds completely implausible for both sides.

Apparently Atlanta's current ownership would like to move Jones before he gets 10/5 rights, but only in a deal that would bring back cheap players who can contribute today. Boston, despite its record, has an abysmal offense outside of Manny and Papi. So it makes sense for both sides, but I doubt it happens.

Andruw's not getting traded. Neither is Smoltz

Yea, this is why we didn't need a trade deadline thread.

It's speculation, Bob, not a sure thing. Smoltz and Jones HAVE been discussed in potential trades.

Sure they are just rumors, but at least they have sources. Some people like the trade deadline and want to talk about potential deals. If you aren't interested, don't come in the thread.

What sources do you have for the Smoltz and Jones stuff? They're not getting traded.

I just think it's pointless to speculate on unfounded rumours-at least Frigid isn't around for this thread

There's more talk about the Astros making moves in the next week than at any point I can remember in the last few seasons. There's the Miguel Tejada thing, which I really could see happening-except for Fernando Nieve, Adam Everett, and Hunter Pence. According to the Houston Chronicle, Jason Hirsh is off the table. If it were only for those three, I'd go for it, presuming Tejada signs some type of an extension, otherwise that's just pillaging the farm system needlessly.

The Astros also have interest in strengthening the bullpen. Names being looked at include Damaso Marte and Scott Linebrink. I'm not sure who the Pirates would want for Marte, but the assumed deal with the Padres would include Ensberg. However, there's no set time for Ensberg to return from the DL, so that deal might not happen.

The Florida Marlins and the Chicago Cubs have interest in Willy Taveras. I assume the Astros would be looking for bullpen help in exchange. Scott Eyre for Willy would be serviceable. However, I'm hesitant to give up on Willy just yet, as he's our best option in CF and will be when Biggio retires and Burke moves to 2B next season.

Also, the Nationals and the White Sox apparently have interest in Chris Burke, but that ain't happening. Chris Burke's gonna be an Astro for life; at least he should be.

In the wackiest Astros trade news I've read yet, the Astros apparently were trying to shop Preston Wilson to the Yankees. I have no idea who they were trying to trade him for, but if it was an E-Rod for Preston deal with both the Rangers and the Yankees eating most of 'Rod's salary, that would be sweet.

What sources do you have for the Smoltz and Jones stuff? They're not getting traded.

I just think it's pointless to speculate on unfounded rumours-at least Frigid isn't around for this thread

Peter Gammons, before his aneurysm, reported on WEEI the weekend of the Braves-Red Sox series that the two sides had talked about a possible deal for Andruw Jones, for the reasons I mentioned above. The rumor has picked back up this week due to Hansen now being eligible for trades, but I don't have any sources regarding the deal being re-discussed. It was just reporting a RUMOR, which I would think would be acceptable in this thread.

Not really sure what the White Sox want with Soriano

As for the Soriano deal, I'm not sure what the White Sox are thinking. I guess they are thinking they can just try to outslug everyone down the stretch. That team needs pitching help bad, but I guess every team does. Still, why trade McCarthy, who could slip into the rotation now, for a rental in the OF that's just going to hurt their defense and add a few more runs to what is already the best offense in baseball? I guess it theoretically keeps the Yankees and Tigers from acquiring him, which would maybe be the difference in those two playoff races.

Just a thought that crossed my mind this afternoon. Does anyone think that Kenny Williams acquired Soriano with the intent to flip him for pitching help? Perhaps I give him too much credit as a GM, but I have hard time trying to figure this deal out from the perspective of the White Sox.

By the way, MacDougal to the White Sox is now official, with two minor leaguers going back to the Royals. Trade info can be found on the ESPN main page.

Guest Felonies!

Speaking of mediocre pitchers, I hear Brad Radke is retiring already.

Why the fuck would the Cubs give up Scott Eyre for Willy Taveras.

They're the type of team stupid enough to tack value to the guy because he brings speed to the table.

the sox are cock blocking the tigers in the soriano talks. i could care less if the sox get soriano. especially if they overpay. i don't want any of the tigers minor leager pitchers (tata & sanchez) to go. especially not minor or zumaya; the latter who was once reportedly on the move for smoltz.

Speaking of mediocre pitchers, I hear Brad Radke is retiring already.

That has been the rumor all year. Radke has been battling a bad neck the last couple of seasons and it was really bugging him at the beginning of the season. However, the last month and a half he has pitched pretty well so it seems up in the air as of now.

Just a thought that crossed my mind this afternoon. Does anyone think that Kenny Williams acquired Soriano with the intent to flip him for pitching help? Perhaps I give him too much credit as a GM, but I have hard time trying to figure this deal out from the perspective of the White Sox.

The White Sox' current center fielder is hitting somewhere around .205. Acquiring Soriano would allow the Sox to move Podsednik to center field.

Why the fuck would the Cubs give up Scott Eyre for Willy Taveras.

They're the type of team stupid enough to tack value to the guy because he brings speed to the table.

He gets on base more consistently than Neifi Perez or Juan Pierre...and he could probably learn to play 2nd base...

The White Sox' current center fielder is hitting somewhere around .205. Acquiring Soriano would allow the Sox to move Podsednik to center field.

That's a decent point, but the White Sox as a team lead the entire majors in runs scored, HR, RBI, and SLG, and are third in AVG and sixth in OBP. Offense is not the problem, despite Anderson being a black hole of suck in that lineup.

Putting Soriano in left and Pods in Center is a defensive downgrade, and trading McCarthy weakens the pitching staff considerably. Considering they are in the bottom half of baseball in runs allowed and ERA, I would consider that a poor use of resources.

That's a decent point, but the White Sox as a team lead the entire majors in runs scored, HR, RBI, and SLG, and are third in AVG and sixth in OBP. Offense is not the problem, despite Anderson being a black hole of suck in that lineup.

Putting Soriano in left and Pods in Center is a defensive downgrade, and trading McCarthy weakens the pitching staff considerably. Considering they are in the bottom half of baseball in runs allowed and ERA, I would consider that a poor use of resources.

Bottom half? The White Sox are 6th in the A.L. and 10th in the Majors in runs allowed. They're not where they were last year, but it's hardly a problem that's infesting their existence. What's more is that only three teams in the AL are really significantly better than the Sox in terms of preventing runs. There's not much available for pitching. The White Sox have internal options, and if the best way to improve the club is to add hitting, so be it.

No link yet, but ESPN Radio is reporting Gil Meche to the Mets for Aaron Heilman.

Also, the beat writer for the Nationals says that Soriano to the White Sox is far from a done deal, and that it may actually be the Angels who have the inside track to acquire him.

EDIT: Haven't found real confirmation anywhere else, so take it with a grain of salt until something official comes out.