TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vern Gagne

Screw ESPN

Guest Vern Gagne

Why the hell does ESPN have to have that damn countdown to medicority during Baseball Tonight. People watching Baseball Tonight are baseball fans and want to see scores, not some damn clock. ESPN is such a whore to for the NFL.

Guest Kotzenjunge

ESPN got the rights to show the first game of the season, so they want to milk it for all they can. As for me, it makes me excited that FOOTBALL~! is less than 24 hours away.

Fo sheez,

Kotzenjunge

Guest alkeiper

That clock is as annoying as all hell. They had it on during the basketball game too. People know when the first NFL game is. Leave the rest of us alone.

Guest bob_barron
Why the hell does ESPN have to have that damn countdown to medicority during Baseball Tonight. People watching Baseball Tonight are baseball fans and want to see scores, not some damn clock. ESPN is such a whore to for the NFL.

They just want to make sure people know when it's on so the real America's pastime can get the best possible rating

Guest nl5xsk1

If you think that's bad, try being a hockey fan ... almost no coverage on Sportscenter, NHL 2Night is on at 1:30 AM, and now they're stopping Wednesday Night Hockey in fear of "over-exposing" the sport (then why still play 10 baseball games, 10 college basketball games, and -next year- half a dozen NBA games a week?!?)

Fucking EXTREME SPORTS gets more coverage than the NHL ... for those of us that are too old to drink mountain dew and listen to Feminem, this makes no sense.

Guest Strike Force!

Well, we get NBA and MLB shoved down our throats all summer, and it is <GASP> the NFL season so.

I can't tell you how ironic it is to hear baseball fans complain that ESPN is a whore for another sport. So ironic...LOL

Guest Strike Force!
And YOU bitched about baseball coverage so YOU aren't any better.

No, see, that's where you're wrong...

I am better.

Guest El Hijo Del Lunatic

Are we really going to complain about which sports highlights that ESPN shows? I can't believe some of you people are whining about a certain sport being SHOVED down your throat by ESPN. It's bordering on insanity. The countdown clock was a little over-the-top, but geez, every show promotoes other shows on the network. ESPN is not an NFL whore, nor an MLB whore, and just because YOU don't want to watch NFL highlights doesn't mean that ESPN should ignore the 90% (actually, 89%, based on the last ESPN survey) of their core audience that gives a crap.

Drop the pro wrestling mentality here. Paul Tagliabue isn't sleeping with Michael Eisner's daughter or anything. ESN shows the highlights they show because that's what most of their audience wants.

LUNATIC

- Pimpin' ho's and clockin' a grip like my name was Dolemite.

Guest Strike Force!
Are we really going to complain about which sports highlights that ESPN shows? I can't believe some of you people are whining about a certain sport being SHOVED down your throat by ESPN. It's bordering on insanity. The countdown clock was a little over-the-top, but geez, every show promotoes other shows on the network. ESPN is not an NFL whore, nor an MLB whore, and just because YOU don't want to watch NFL highlights doesn't mean that ESPN should ignore the 90% (actually, 89%, based on the last ESPN survey) of their core audience that gives a crap.

Drop the pro wrestling mentality here. Paul Tagliabue isn't sleeping with Michael Eisner's daughter or anything. ESN shows the highlights they show because that's what most of their audience wants.

LUNATIC

- Pimpin' ho's and clockin' a grip like my name was Dolemite.

I don't disagree. But I'm going to defend my favorite sport. B)

Guest razazteca

Maybe some people still thinks that the NFL season starts on Sunday?

T - 5:30 till countdown

and yes football is everywhere as the Deuce has NFL Yearbook of every team on right now......Damn this feels like Superbowl Sunday as there is nothing but all day fooball talk.

Well its alot better than watching Sports Center repeats for 4 hours straight

Guest Strike Force!

I love NFL Films. I can watch NFL Yearbook all day. Well, no I couldn't. But still......

Guest razazteca

and the official pregame starts right now, 2 hours before the kickoff

the Jersey Giants vs San Fran 49ers

anybody drunk yet?

Guest Leena

I find the whole bottom line thing annoying. ESPNEWS is there to give you scores 24/7, you don't need to clutter up the screen during sporting events just to show mostly insignificant baseball scores on the bottom of the screen.

I do understand why ESPN is pimping tonight's game. It's not ingrained in people's heads that the season starts on a Thursday. I still hate the idea though, as it is taking away from the stuff they are showing now.

Guest Vern Gagne

This has nothing to do with highlights. What I'm mad about is ESPN having that clock instead of the baseball scores.

Guest alkeiper

The whole bottom line concept bugs me. Its all well and good on ESPN news, but can it elsewhere. Most people have internet access anyways, where its much easier to get scores.

Guest dreamer420

at least you aren't stuck watching sportcentral on sportsnet here in canada. the show is so lame and the hosts actually try to do little gimmicks and angles on some shows. it is the stupidest thing you have ever seen.

Guest treble charged

While I prefer TSN's SportsCentre over SportsNet's SportsCentral, I have to say that Mike Toth has improved so much since his days on TSN.

Guest MaxPower27
you don't need to clutter up the screen during sporting events just to show mostly insignificant baseball scores on the bottom of the screen.

Yeah, to you, they're insignificant. But when I'm watching a game on ESPN, like the A's v. Royals Wednesday Night, I want to know if the SOX beat the Yankees, I want to know other scores that I don't get. I'm too cheap to shell out the 75 bones for a Time Warner cable box, so I don't have ESPNEWS. The Bottomline is a good thing. If I don't want to see the scores, I put videos on the entertainment center, so as to block the bottom of the screen.

At least hockey's starting soon, so I won't have to deal with stupid ass football for long. And the baseball playoffs! Go everyone but the Yankees and Braves!!!!

Guest Vern Gagne
at least you aren't stuck watching sportcentral on sportsnet here in canada. the show is so lame and the hosts actually try to do little gimmicks and angles on some shows. it is the stupidest thing you have ever seen.

You obviously missed the unfunny American Idol skit SportsCenter did last night. Rich Eisen sucks.

Guest Vern Gagne

You obviously missed the unfunny American Idol skit SportsCenter did last night.

Guest MaxPower27

The only SC that I'll watch entirely is the 6PM. No Eisen, Patrick, Scott, or Kenny. Only Kenny Mayne and Trey Wingo on my TV, thank you.

Rich Eisen = :throwup:

Guest Strike Force!

I think ESPN's reasoning behind the NFL countdown clock is that they figured no one would really miss the scores of, say, an Indians/ Tigers game or Padres/Rockies game....and they'd be right.

Guest danielisthor

The only thing i am going to bitch about ESPN for is as soon as Sports Center came on last night, what was the first thing they showed? The freaking highlights from the game they just broadcasted. The players were still in their freaking gear, when the first highlights were running.

Guest Leena
you don't need to clutter up the screen during sporting events just to show mostly insignificant baseball scores on the bottom of the screen.

Yeah, to you, they're insignificant. But when I'm watching a game on ESPN, like the A's v. Royals Wednesday Night, I want to know if the SOX beat the Yankees, I want to know other scores that I don't get. I'm too cheap to shell out the 75 bones for a Time Warner cable box, so I don't have ESPNEWS. The Bottomline is a good thing. If I don't want to see the scores, I put videos on the entertainment center, so as to block the bottom of the screen.

At least hockey's starting soon, so I won't have to deal with stupid ass football for long. And the baseball playoffs! Go everyone but the Yankees and Braves!!!!

I'm not saying every game is insignificant. I mean that more with games like Brewers-Pirates, and they show Joe Blow with a 5-16 record. Except for the handful of people in their hometowns, nobody cares.

Either way, I think it's overkill. If you're watching the bottom line for constant updates to your games, well you're kinda sad. The way they used to have it with updates every half-hour, was more than enough. With ESPNEWS (which more and more people are getting, I'm sorry that you don't :(), and the Internet, which you do have. Bottom line is completely unnecessary.

Like, for example, every year during the Australian Open which is on in the early morning, the bottom line is constantly on, even during the final. I find it very annoying, and it takes away from the current action.

Guest MaxPower27

I'm not saying every game is insignificant. I mean that more with games like Brewers-Pirates, and they show Joe Blow with a 5-16 record. Except for the handful of people in their hometowns, nobody cares.

I care. I'd rather watch the Devil Rays v. the Royals than watch one second of football or basketball. Just becuase they have a losing record doesn't mean that the scores shouldn't be shown.

Either way, I think it's overkill. If you're watching the bottom line for constant updates to your games, well you're kinda sad. The way they used to have it with updates every half-hour, was more than enough. With ESPNEWS (which more and more people are getting, I'm sorry that you don't ), and the Internet, which you do have. Bottom line is completely unnecessary.

Why am I sad? I don't live in Massachusetts anymore, so Red Sox games are extremely hard to come by. It's not like I sit there and just watch the bottomline, but I do stop and check every once in a while. I stay up on my teams. Sometimes, though I'm on the phone, and can't go on the 'net, as I have a dial up, so then I watch the bottomline to see the scores of the SOX games.

Like, for example, every year during the Australian Open which is on in the early morning, the bottom line is constantly on, even during the final. I find it very annoying, and it takes away from the current action.

That's a good point, I can't stand watching highlights, and then seeing the final on the bottom of the screen.

It gets even worse during hockey season, with all the football, college football, and basketball scores, they never show who scored a goal for what team, they make me sit through 55 mins of football, college football, and basketball highlights to see no highlights, just hockey scores. Bullshit.

Guest Vern Gagne

Unless it's on a particular show like Baseball Tonight, or NFL2Night, the bottom line should only have the scores. All the Stats aren't necessary.

Guest Redhawk

I don't like the Bottom Line in general, and I was actually glad that it showed the clock as opposed to scores. I hate watching the highlights of, say, a Mariners-Red Sox game, and just as the highlights are getting suspenseful...my eyes wander to the bottom of the screen and it shows that the Red Sox won.