TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Daredevil21

Thrift Stores

Guest Daredevil21

Alrighty, how many of you go to thrift stores once in a while, if not on a regular basis? Dunno bout all of you, but as a younger kid, even admitting that you went into a thrift store would get you made fun of, so I made it a priority to never go into one during my younger years.

Anyway, when I went to High School, I noticed that a lot of kids wore thrift store shirts just because. I still didn't think much of it, till last summer, when I went in there with some friends for some reason that escapes me at the moment. Anyway, I loved it, for no other reason than you could find some really unique shirts at a great price. Some people are under the impression that there is only dirty crap in there, but you can find some real good stuff depending on where you go.

I find most of the shirts I get from there to be great for the summer time, since I don't really like to "dress up" (aka polo shirts, button down shirts, etc.) this time of year. Probably my favorite shirt that I've gotten is a little league baseball shirt from a 9-10 year old division, and it has the name "Hoffman" on the back. Cool stuff and it cost me a buck.

You can find some other cool stuff in there. While at the checkout counter one day while I was suppose to be in Lit class, I was paying for my shirts when I saw a Staypuft Marshmellow man figure in the display case. 2 bucks later and it was mine. Anyway, how many of you frequent these places?

Guest Choken One

There are two types of people that frequent these stores...Poor people whom can only afford Thrift store prices...and Upper Class White Females who love a bargain (This would be my Wife, Mother and Mother in law).

I was like you, I always thought it was nasty clothes and were only welfare users who went there. My wife finally convinced me to go, and I must have found about 10 shirts that ran me up a total of 12 bucks.

If you can find a clean and respecatble thrift store, you're likely to find a good bargain.

Guest jimmy no nose

I've been there, but not that many times. It seems that they charge the same price for just about anything, whether it's beaten up and dirty or in great condition. If you look through I'm sure you could find some great prices.

Guest razazteca

I like going to stores like those to look at the old computers they have like Apple IIe, Commador 128, and other reliqs for the 80s.

Guest areacode212

Yes, thrift stores are still great secret places to find bargains on quality stuff. A lot of stores will end up giving/selling new clothes to thrift stores because of slight defects (that most people won't even notice) or when they're overstocked or whatever.

Also, if you live in a place like Manhattan, where people are relatively well-off, yet live in cramped apartments with little closet space, they'll have a tendency to give away their (barely used and nice) clothes when they buy new stuff. You can also find fun books for low prices. I first started reading Sandman when my mom brought home a copy of the Sandman: Preludes & Nocturnes TPB which she got from a Salvation Army about 7 years ago. I had always meant to start reading that comic, but never got around to getting the first TPB. Now I owned it, and it only cost my mom about a buck!

Pawn shops can also be a good place for cheap swag, but I think you may all be tired of hearing me brag about that... :)

Guest Kinetic

Roughly 75% of my wardrobe comes from thrift stores. A creative and extremely cheap person can really make something out of that stuff. I almost got a record player from one the other day, but alas...the needle was dull and I have no clue where to get a new one.

Guest El Satanico

I love thrift stores. They have great shirts.

There's nothing better then work shirts with names, old softball or baseball jerseys and tshirts with vintage looking designs. But it's harder to find good vintage stuff now that wearing vintage looking shirts is "cool".

Thrift Stores near the rich part of town are good one's to go to if you're looking for good or name brand stuff.

Manhatten would have to be a thrift store gold mine.

Guest Zack Malibu

I've never been in one, though there is one called Savers right next to a Best Buy that I frequent. Funny story though...I'm at work one day, and one of the kids who works next door comes into my office to talk to one of the other guys. I do a double take, and notice that he's wearing a shirt from my old boxing/karate school/gym. I thought maybe he knew someone who went to classes with me, but it turns out he bought it for a few bucks at Savers.

I'm into the whole "vintage jersey-cool T shirts" style, so maybe I should stop being so damn preppy and hit one of these places up ;) .

Guest Daredevil21

Yeah, I had a similar experience like that on the 4th of July this year. We were at the fireworks, and we were in the area near the railroad. Anyway, I was taking a much needed piss in the bushes, when someone said the number of the old shirt I was wearing. Of course, I thought, "Oh shit, I'm busted," but as it turned out the kid just wondered where I got the shirt, since he had played for that soccer team and had even had the same number. He thought I played on the team, but I then let him know that I had gotten the shirt from my younger brother, who had borrowed it from a friend, who had actually been on the team. Small world.

Guest Shaved Bear

hell i bought my house at a thrift store...not really but its good if you are getting work shirts or something

Guest Mad the Swine

I go looking for books or records. I don't go for the clothes.

Then again, the stores near my hometown are pretty nasty.