TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest HopeSpot

Taxi Driver

Guest HopeSpot

I don't know if any of you have seen this movie but nothing can touch it for character devolpment and depth twenty years later. Travis (my avatar) is this normal guy but the monontony of life slowly snaps the grey matter until he just loses his fucking mind.

The scenes in his aprtment were amazing ("you talking to me, you talking to me muther fucker!") I actually feel like there's a little bit of him in all of us.Travis Bickle is the sad insecure side of my personality that's never fealt accepted. Watch the movie you'll feel the same way.

"One day a real rain will come and wash all of this scum away." Travis Bickle

Guest dilk bathoon

not even the likes of cybal shephard could bring that movie down. the greatest Robert DeNiro movie ever.

Guest Frank Zappa Mask

This is the film that made me want to become a filmmaker.  To say Travis Bickle is normal is kinda missing the point of his character; this was a man who reflected what he saw and what he knew of this world, and this view was far from normal.  Bickle isn't some schlepp living in the suburbs with the silver spoon still in his mouth.  This was a man who had seen hell in a very personal sense.  What he saw was the horrors of Vietnam along with the horrors of New York City; he was a man whose natural desire to purge all the unclean around him rose to the surface like a geyser.  Some may call him psychotic, but that word comes with such a negative connotation, and the real reason our reality is so limited is because we add positive and negative connotations to everything we see.  In any case, Bickle is one of the great anti-heroes of all time, a man who cannot stop his will.  It is as much a statement on ourselves and how we treat our desires and how our desires treat us that makes this film so appalling and thought-provoking.  You can't just think about Bickle.  You have to think why he is the way he is, and why society has pushed him to a literal edge.....

Guest Ravenbomb

Yeah! Taxi Driver is, by far, the Greatest movie of All Time! How a piece of crap like Rocky won over Taxi Driver is beyond me (cough*POLITICS*cough)

Guest imajackoff?
Yeah! Taxi Driver is, by far, the Greatest movie of All Time! How a piece of crap like Rocky won over Taxi Driver is beyond me (cough*POLITICS*cough)

The first Rocky is a pretty good piece of work.  I would probably give TD the nod, but Rocky is no crapola.