TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Your Paragon of Virtue

Fantasy Matchups

I don't know about you, but I generally see these over at Sherdog and the like and they are almost always lame, actually not almost they are always lame. Fortunately here we can hopefully avoid some of the usual crap over there and try to actually get some meaningful discussion out of this.

Frank Trigg vs. BJ Penn (at 170)

This is a fight that I've always wanted to see, and with the rumours of the ROTR WW Tourney winner facing BJ at 170 it might become a reality. Many things can happen in this fight, and unless Trigg has been figuring out how to work off of his back at least to escape and get up, it should end up in BJ's favour. Odds are that scenario will be played off at least once, since it's inevitable that a fighter the calibre of BJ Penn will find a way to put Frank on his back. HOWEVER, Frank Trigg on top of anyone is deadly, and BJ Penn is not really that great off his back either. So this is very interesting for those reasons. I would have to pick BJ since he is better in more positions than Frank, however if Trigg actually shows something different in winning this tournament, than I can definitely see him finding a way to survive bad positions and proceed to put BJ through hell once he starts to beat on him.

BJ's lack of a guard game is none too important, as few guys are going to successfully utilize and offensive guard game against Trigg, and BJ is smart enough to utilize a more defensive guard.

The most important equation in this bout is:

a) Trigg is, and probably always will be horrible defensively on the bottom and...

b) ...Penn is one of the best ground scramblers in MMA, and has found a way to put absolutely everyone he's ever faced beneath him at some point.

a + b = c (BJ via RNC, Rd.1)

I agree with that assessment. If BJ was able to over-power Hughes and, as LT said, put him on his back. I think he can do it to Trigg as well. If GSP was able to make it look like playschool and took Triggs back easily, then I don't see BJ having much trouble either.

RRR Dream Match:

Arlovski vs. Couture

- I almost want Couture to lose to Chuck so this fight can happen. It was originally scheduled for, I believe, UFC 42 but it fell through and they put Randy against Chuck instead. Hell, if Randy *does* win, have Champion vs. Champion and draw billions :)

Fedor vs. Arlovski - Cage or ring, I don't think it would matter, both could adapt to either one. The cage has never been a big part of Arlovski's game plan like it is for Hughes, Lindland, and other fighters.

Silva vs. Liddell - I don't see this one going to the ground. Both like to stand and slug it out, would be a very entertaining bout.

Sakuraba vs. Frank Shamrock - Sakuraba will probably never beat another top 10 middleweight, but at least he's been fighting recently. This might make up for the advantages Frank has over him in strength and strikes. I always thought Frank was one of the better MW strikers.

Penn vs. St. Pierre - If Penn can cut some fat off his ass, this would be a great matchup. I don't think GSP would let himself get caught in a choke like Hughes did.

Gomi vs. Sakurai - Wait, that's already happening!

Kawajiri vs. Hansen - That's happening too!

br4l stole most of my dream fights...

I'm an evil bastard and I'd like to see Shamrock and Severn go at it *one* more time. Just one more time. Then again, I wouldn't mind seeing Severn face Arlovski.

Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie would be fun to watch. I'd love it if Royce became a regular fighter on UFC shows. Pushing him and Couture as the "Old but badass" group of old men in MMA would be entertaining if both guys could continue to be competitive in their respective matches.

Frank Shamrock vs. anyone worth a damn in the UFC. I'd pay to see Frank fight again in the octagon.