TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JangoFett4Hire

How do you figure out your...

Guest JangoFett4Hire

Body Fat percentage? Is there an accurate way of doing so? Boo ya?

Guest JangoFett4Hire

Yikes, I hope that's a little off. I'd never seduce Theresa Strasser w/ those figures...

What is the ideal percentage? Under 10?

Guest oldschoolwrestling

Body Mass Index (BMI) calculates body fat according to the relationship of weight and height. A BMI less than 20 is considered to be a low BMI for most people. A low BMI may indicate underweight and may be associated with health problems for some people. A BMI of 20-25 is considered to be good. It may indicate a healthy weight for most people. A BMI of greater than 25 is considered to be high for most people. This may indicate overweight or obesity and may increase the risk of developing health problems.

credit some website

Guest CanadianChris
Body Mass Index (BMI) calculates body fat according to the relationship of weight and height. A BMI less than 20 is considered to be a low BMI for most people. A low BMI may indicate underweight and may be associated with health problems for some people. A BMI of 20-25 is considered to be good. It may indicate a healthy weight for most people. A BMI of greater than 25 is considered to be high for most people. This may indicate overweight or obesity and may increase the risk of developing health problems.

credit some website

Hoever, BMI is a less-than-ideal measurement, as it fails to take into account body type. Most pro athletes will score in the Obese range, just because of how their bodies are built. If you have a bone structure similar to an athlete's, this scale will be very misleading. For example, my ideal weight is somewhere between 160 and 180 lbs., according to the scale, but for my body structure (very broad shoulders, large bones), I consider 210-215 to be my target weight.

Ideally, you want to use this measurement in conjunction with an actual body fat measurement (using calipers, or underwater). Incidentally, 18-25% body fat is considered acceptable for males, 25-31% for females. Anything below that is considered at least moderately fit.