TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CheesalaIsGood

Bill Bennett:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050929/D8CU70KO4.html

Senator Demands Bennett Apology for Remark

Sep 29, 6:52 PM (ET)

(AP) Senate Minority Leader Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., pauses during a press conference on Thursday, Sept....

Full Image

WASHINGTON (AP) - Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid and other Democrats on Thursday demanded that former Education Secretary William Bennett apologize for remarks on his radio program linking the crime rate and the abortion of black babies.

Bennett responded that the comments, made Wednesday on his "Morning in America" show, had been mischaracterized and that his point was that the idea of supporting abortion to reduce crime was "morally reprehensible."

The author of "The Book of Virtues," answering a caller's question, took issue with the hypothesis put forth in a recent book that one reason crime is down is that abortion is up.

"But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could, if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down," Bennett said.

He went on to call that "an impossible, ridiculous and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. So these far-out, these far-reaching, extensive extrapolations are, I think, tricky."

On his show Thursday, the anti-abortion Bennett said he was "pointing out that abortion should not be opposed for economic reasons any more than racism ... should be supported or opposed for economic reasons. Immoral policies are wrong because they are wrong, not because of an economic calculation."

Reid, D-Nev., said he was "appalled by Mr. Bennett's remarks" and called on him "to issue an immediate apology not only to African Americans but to the nation."

Rep. Raum Emanuel, D-Ill., said in a statement, "At the very time our country yearns for national unity in the wake of hurricane Katrina, these comments reflect a spirit of hate and division."

-----------------------------------------------------

Oh wow. You just gotta love the candid mind of a right-wing buffoon. I'm sure I'm wrong on being offended by this cuz I'm probably taking this ALL OUT OF CONTEXT!

Or it reveals that he's a racist.... Why blacks? If you kill any large group of people the crime rate will go down due to less people being around and thus less people to spread the money around to, which leads to fewer poor people and non poor people tend to not steal unless they're scumbags, which anyone can become

Oh brother. This is PC-ism out of control, plain and simple. Try understanding things in the context of the broader coversation. Bill does not support social engineering through abortion. He was repudiating the caller's idea that millions of taxpayers weren't here because of abortion. Bill was just showing that you can't argue abortion on the basis of a supposed social benefit.

Oh please. This has nothing to do with "PC" ism.

If the caller pointed at taxpayers, it once again comes back to why single out blacks and say if all of the black babies were aborted then crime rates would go down. He is essentially implying that blacks are responsible for the crime rate. If he wanted to demostrate his point, he could have easily not singled out a racial group. Instead, he stupidly did, and he should be chastised for it. It was stupid wording, and a pointless comparison.

What a non-story. Simple question: Who actually supports killing unborn black babies? Bill was just illustrating the absurdly of abortion rationalization.

where exactly did "black babies" come from as an example?

doesnt that strike you as a little strange, that someone singles out black babies.

next week will be Rush's turn to say something outrageous. He cant be out-shocked-right-wing for long.

If you abort all the Jew babies, the world will be less greedy.

That sentence reminded me of David Cross's bit where he impersonates Bush eating a Jewish baby.

That sentence reminded me of David Cross's bit where he impersonates Bush eating a Jewish baby.

Way to take him out of context, Mr. PC!

Cross impersonated Bush eatting Jewish babies' HEARTS.

"Mmmmmm. That's good Jew baby heart."

Oh wow. You just gotta love the candid mind of a right-wing buffoon

Perhaps if we aborted all of the liberal babies, there'd be less gross (and erroneous) generalizations of conservatives.

Way to take him out of context, Mr. PC!

Cross impersonated Bush eatting Jewish babies' HEARTS.

"Mmmmmm. That's good Jew baby heart."

It dealt with Jewish babies. That's all that matters.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/30/D8CUKRH04.html

Bennett: Black Abortions Would Lower Crime

Sep 30 10:37 AM US/Eastern

WASHINGTON

The White House on Friday criticized former Education Secretary William Bennett for remarks linking the crime rate and the abortion of black babies.

"The president believes the comments were not appropriate," White House press secretary Scott McClellan said.

Bennett, on his radio show, "Morning in America," was answering a caller's question when he took issue with the hypothesis put forth in a recent book that one reason crime is down is that abortion is up.

"But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could, if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down," said Bennett, author of "The Book of Virtues."

He went on to call that "an impossible, ridiculous and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. So these far-out, these far-reaching, extensive extrapolations are, I think, tricky."

Responding later to criticism, Bennett said his comments had been mischaracterized and that his point was that the idea of supporting abortion to reduce crime was "morally reprehensible."

Bennett was education secretary under President Reagan and director of drug control policy when Bush's father was president.

-------------------------------------------------------------

See? We all just got the wrong idea. So everything is just fine now. Resume your normally scheduled crime rate.

blah blah blah gross (and erroneous) generalizations of conservatives.

Yet that seems to be the level of political discourse that the American people can handle nowadays.

How to argue politics, or even have your own radio show in this day and age:

-Pick a side. Doesn't matter which. Also, don't even try to think that there are more than two sides. That's too compuhcated.

-Wait for someone associated with the other side to say something absolutely retarded. Don't worry, it doesn't take long. They don't have to be politicians, the association can be pretty loose.

-Hold up previous retarded statement as representative of the other side as a whole. Extrapolate on the statement and come up with wild conjectures. These will also apply to the other side. Don't consider that you're calling A WHOLE HALF OF THE COUNTRY fascist idiots.

-Speaking of: fascist, Hitler, pro-death, anti-American, hateful, Stalinist, traitor, are all good words to throw out there, to REALLY win that argument. Never forget you live in a country where fully 50% of people are fucking evil to the depths of their filthy fucking souls. But it's such a great country!

That being said, all the conservative talk shows today were defending what Bennett said all today. Now I know he likely wasn't advocating aborting black babies, but that's one of the stupidest comments I've ever heard. Of course those who objected to the statement were anti-free-speech and, say it with me, fascist. Like calling someone on something ridiculous they say is the same as putting them in jail. I also think people would have let it go if Bennett had immediately apologized. He didn't.

You can't even Devil's advocate this.

I'm pretty sure being poor and single parenthood are far more strongly linked to criminal behaviour.

Statistically speaking, African-Americans do make up a disproportionately high number of poor single parents. That is not saying that all African-Americans are poor and single parents, but that the 2 related problems are especially prevalent in that particular part of the population.

If he had just said something about poor people, but not JUST "black babies" he might have got SOME flack but it wouldn't have gone as far as this has. Considering who Bennett is, and who he used to run with, don't you think the right-wing would be doing something more along the lines of distancing themselves from this? Instead they defend him! Which just paints the right with an even wider brush that they are all rich white bigots. Which not all of them are. But hey, defend away.

Why don't we just abort everyone?

...and I don't mean just fetuses either. I'm up for some hundredth-trimester abortions

[devil's advocate] Statistically, he's right in singling out black babies[/devil's advocate]

No he's not. Statistically, white people make up such a disportionate amount of the population, that aborting all white babies would make the largest difference in crime rate. While blacks do represent a disportionate percentage of the crimes, whites represent a larger percentage, thus that is the race that should have been singled out.

Statistically.

Statistically, white people make up such a disportionate amount of the population, that aborting all white babies would make the largest difference in crime rate.  While blacks do represent a disportionate percentage of the crimes, whites represent a larger percentage, thus that is the race that should have been singled out.

Statistically.

Statistically, aborting EITHER population would curb the crime rate.

Why are we even debating the merits of his argument? If we curbed the population of Native Americans it would go down too, and they're how tiny a part of the population? Or all the Welshmen. Or all the left-handed people. Or fatties.

The fact of the entire matter is that his argument could have just as easily been "Well, abortion drops the crime rate" to illustrate his point to the caller. By singling out a race, he turned what could have been considered a good point into quite the racist comment and he knew the implications of what he was saying.