TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheSmarkzone

SummerSlam 2003 and beyond...

Guest TheSmarkzone

Since the WWE has brought back the tradition of holding WrestleMania in a domed stadium every year, I think that SummerSlam should always be held in an outdoor stadium. If it's the second-biggest show of the year, they should treat it that way. If attendance remains this abysmal it would take a lot of promotion and a lot of papering to fill an outdoor stadium, but I think that they could pull it off.

SummerSlam is at the Nassau Coliseum this year, but I can't help but dream about how damn cool it would have been to hold SummerSlam right down the road at Giants Stadium in New Jersey. 80,000 fans, the summer atmosphere...it would rock like '92.

Guest red_file
If attendance remains this abysmal it would take a lot of promotion and a lot of papering to fill an outdoor stadium, but I think that they could pull it off.

Not to slam, but that seems somewhat counter productive to me. What's the point of holding an event where you know you're going to have to paper it? A sell-out in a smaller venue looks better all around.

Though I do agree somewhat. There's just something about an outdoor event. Hard to describe.

Guest Jobber of the Week

For the record, I always assumed SSlam was the second most important PPV. The guy who introduced me to wrestling told me such, and I always believed it.

Anyway, outdoor events always seemed a bit too trashy for me. For some reason, a wrestling show in an arena seems like your average sports entertainment, but when WCW held shows in the open air, nothing more could make me think "Wow. Check out all the hicks."

Also, WrestleMania IX was an outdoor event, and.. Uh... Well, check that out. =b

Guest TheSmarkzone
when WCW held shows in the open air, nothing more could make me think "Wow. Check out all the hicks."

I assume you are referring to Hog/Road Wild.

First off...they didn't charge admission. It was a free show. So who do you THINK is gonna show up? That's just begging for trailer trash and hicks.

Secondly...the show was held in the Black Hills of South Dakota, at the STURGIS RALLY. Who did you expect to turn out?!

Come on, man, use your head. You can't base your opinion of outdoor shows on Road f'n Wild. Have you ever seen SummerSlam '92?

There is a big difference between putting on a free show in the middle of nowhere in a town where there is a BIKER RALLY going on and legitimately selling out a sports stadium. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Guest bob_barron

Since the WWE will probably not be around their record breaking heights of yrs previous it'd be retarded to book a huge ass arena

Guest TheSmarkzone

No offense, but neither you nor I have any idea where the business will be a year or two from now. It could be in the gutter or it could be another wrestling boom.

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

Im reminded of WCW Bash at the Beach 1995 - a crowd of well over 100,000 people packed on the beach for free(More like 10,000, WCW and their Enronesque attendance figures lol)

Guest TheSmarkzone

Yeah, I can't believe Bobby Heenan with his ABSURD claims that there were "hundreds of thousands" of people in attendance. He did the same thing at Hog Wild '96. The funny thing about BATB '95 is that there was a free wrestling show going on in the middle of the beach, and you could see people hanging out by the water, completely disinterested.

Guest bob_barron

I agree that we can't forecast the business but right now it is not doing well so Vince would be foolish to book a big arena.

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

Im hard pressed to believe they can sell out the Nassau Coliseum this year, and you know the crowd is going to be dead as usual for a show there.

Guest TheSmarkzone

They don't generally book arenas a year in advance. They've only done that for WrestleMania a few times. It's not like Vince is already looking for a venue for SummerSlam 2003.

Guest eiker_ir
The funny thing about BATB '95 is that there was a free wrestling show going on in the middle of the beach, and you could see people hanging out by the water, completely disinterested.

this is the one from Baywatch. right?

bye

:D