TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Princess Leena

Drinking alcoholic beverages during work hours.

Guest Princess Leena

I don't want to get into the entire story here...

But, shouldn't a person be like automatically fired for doing this.

Thanks.

I drink all the time at work. So no!

I work at a tech company. We once had an employee that was a hefty guy and would have 3 beers at lunch or a few beers throughout the day. When I get to work every day the first thing I do is make myself an Irish Coffee. (Coffee + Whiskey)

If someone is drunk at work then yes, they should probably be fired. If they have a drinking problem they should probably be fired. If they just drink a drink and it doesn't effect their performance at all then at some places it isn't a problem.

Maybe you should get into the entire story a bit.

It depends a lot on the job. Customer service? (Or anything customer facing) Probably shouldn't be drinking. Engineer that sits in his office cranking out code all day? Maybe not the worst thing in the world.

I think my co-workers *prefer* that I drink because I am in a noticeably better mood after my morning ritual.

Guest wildpegasus
I don't want to get into the entire story here...

But, shouldn't a person be like automatically fired for doing this.

Thanks.

Yes, they should especially if they're doing a physical labour job.

Guest wildpegasus

I work at a tech company. We once had an employee that was a hefty guy and would have 3 beers at lunch or a few beers throughout the day. When I get to work every day the first thing I do is make myself an Irish Coffee. (Coffee + Whiskey)

If someone is drunk at work then yes, they should probably be fired. If they have a drinking problem they should probably be fired. If they just drink a drink and it doesn't effect their performance at all then at some places it isn't a problem.

Maybe you should get into the entire story a bit.

It depends a lot on the job. Customer service? (Or anything customer facing) Probably shouldn't be drinking. Engineer that sits in his office cranking out code all day? Maybe not the worst thing in the world.

I think my co-workers *prefer* that I drink because I am in a noticeably better mood after my morning ritual.

So let me get this straight? You have a ritual of drinking in the MORNING which puts you in a better mood. So whenever you don't drink you're in a more sour type of mood. Most people would say that's a sign of someone having a problem.

Edit --

That's a scary, scary line. Do you drink outside of work too?

Guest Vitamin X

Which means, by his definition he should be fired.

Which I don't agree with, as a person with a problem should be helped, not booted out on the street. Especially if they're a perfectly fine and capable person/employee otherwise.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I used to smoke a couple bowls on the way to work and nothing bad came of it. My job could've been done by gifted apes, though. Even some people dumber than gifted apes were capable of doing it.

It all depends on the workplace, and the specific situation. The last job I had, we couldn't drink "on the job" except for the Sales People when they are on lunch trying to woo clients.

Which means, by his definition he should be fired.

Which I don't agree with, as a person with a problem should be helped, not booted out on the street. Especially if they're a perfectly fine and capable person/employee otherwise.

If I'm not mistaken, alcoholism is protected by the ADA. Although they can still be fired for drinking on the job.

I used to smoke a couple bowls on the way to work and nothing bad came of it. My job could've been done by gifted apes, though. Even some people dumber than gifted apes were capable of doing it.

But alcohol makes you freakin' useless. Weed just messes with your head. You're still physically capable of doing things.

Guest Princess Leena

K, condensed story.

There's this fat bitch at work who's sweet as sugar to me, yet always talks shit about me behind my back, and talks shit to my boss. I even caught an e-mail she sent reporting flat out lies about me.

Friday night, she went out on break to some music thing a few blocks away. She and a few other younger workers had a few beers there, and stayed there way far longer than her 30 minutes of break time allowed. It was during night hours when the main bosses aren't there, and generally nobody cares what you do.

I reported it to the bigger boss who likes me lots, and I hope she goes far away since she's nothing but trouble, and seriously worries me about getting fired in the future.

I work at a worldwide electronics company, and she does mostly marketing, and managing people and shit. This isn't like some lame part-time kiddy job. So, I think punishment should be rendered.

As sad as it may be, the regular corporate assholes who run this economy/society will endorse that kind of behavior. High school never ends for these people, see.

I go to the factory bathrooms every 20 minutes due to my life-consuming cocaine habit...should I be fired?

As sad as it may be, the regular corporate assholes who run this economy/society will endorse that kind of behavior. High school never ends for these people, see.

blu fluh you hate corpration!

So let me get this straight? You have a ritual of drinking in the MORNING which puts you in a better mood. So whenever you don't drink you're in a more sour type of mood. Most people would say that's a sign of someone having a problem.

Yes. The problem is I am a grump, I don't like to wake up in the morning and I take the bus to work.

That's a scary, scary line. Do you drink outside of work too?

At work I drink often but only maybe 1/2 a shot of Whiskey in my coffee. Outside of work I do drink but not often, maybe once every week or two. So no, I don't have a drinking problem.

Edit: I manage people and have a "real" job.

Leena about this woman, it sounds like the drinking is not the issue. It happened once? What you should be concerned about is this woman sabotaging you and denigrating your job performance. I would take the high road here, rather than tattle schedule a meeting with your boss and explain that some people seem to be talking shit about you behind your back, and you want to emphasize that you are doing a good job. You don't even have to name names. Just tell your boss you think you are doing a good job and if your boss thinks you aren't can they please let you know as well as what you can do to do better.

Most bosses are pretty decent in that they know everyone has some bias. Just because this woman is talking shit about you doesn't mean anyone is listening, and the people she is talking to may be rolling their eyes.

You don't want to make it look like some petty squabble or some tit-for-tat, she said she said thing. Just explain that you are concerned because you feel certain people are trying to make you look bad. Don't turn it into a fight of trying to make each other look bad, you'll both lose.

I manage a team of people (when I'm not rip-roaring drunk) so I do have some idea of what I am talking about.

Edit: We had a person who complained about basically everyone and every thing to our mutual boss, and in the end it just made our boss dislike him because he was such a pain in the ass.

My principal gets mad at me when I come in drunk. (Just kidding, one time though, he told me I needed some mints for the smell)

Leena I think what the chick did was irresponsible, but not fireable.

Dude, I say that because that's how it is. Disagreeing doesn't make it not exist.

Guest Princess Leena
Leena about this woman, it sounds like the drinking is not the issue. It happened once? What you should be concerned about is this woman sabotaging you and denigrating your job performance. I would take the high road here, rather than tattle schedule a meeting with your boss and explain that some people seem to be talking shit about you behind your back, and you want to emphasize that you are doing a good job. You don't even have to name names. Just tell your boss you think you are doing a good job and if your boss thinks you aren't can they please let you know as well as what you can do to do better.

It is a re-occuring problem... because she and a few others usually disappear for more than an hour every night. It gets quite disconcerting for some of us who like to work and remain employed.

I already did exactly what you said... I went to the big boss about this, didn't mention fat bitch's name, and before I even finished, he knew I was referring to her and some certain other. He just told me to tell him if any more problems arose.

Most bosses are pretty decent in that they know everyone has some bias. Just because this woman is talking shit about you doesn't mean anyone is listening, and the people she is talking to may be rolling their eyes.

Not true in this case, however.

The big boss I mentioned before, who hired me and likes me, is probably retiring by the end of the year. And I assume being replaced by the other female boss who fat bitch whines to about me. Fat bitch is a HUGE ass kisser to this boss, and this boss LOVES it, to the point where she'll ignore everyone else just to please fat bitch. Other female boss isn't a bad person... but, she's the type who's a control freak, and wants everyone to adore and respect her. Which I can understand.

And when she has the power to fire me, I'll be worried.

You don't want to make it look like some petty squabble or some tit-for-tat, she said she said thing. Just explain that you are concerned because you feel certain people are trying to make you look bad. Don't turn it into a fight of trying to make each other look bad, you'll both lose.

I don't want that at all. I normally don't care what happens at work. I've learned over time that do just do your work, don't get involved in shit, and collect your pay. But, I felt this was a serious enough infraction that I had to attempt some damage control.

Dude, I say that because that's how it is. Disagreeing doesn't make it not exist.

Dude, that was aimed for someone else....the poster here who thinks a dislike for Big Govt is the same as hatred for 'evil corporations'.

Guest The Satanic Angel

I've done it a couple times. Just sips of beer (when working concessions). I think it was well known that the guys did it, so no problems. No one got drunk (except the fans).

if we suspect someone has been drinking, we monitor them. They do anything to confirm the suspicions (stumble around, nod off, etc.), we have on-site breathalyzers to use on them. If they have been drinking, they have the option of going to counseling that our insurance company offers or they can lose their job. If anyone is hurt at work or if one of the power equipment operators causes an accident, they immediately have to go and get piss tested for drugs and alcohol. The same stips apply if those tests come back positive.

A few years ago I was working at a supermarket. One of my co-workers was stopped by a boss, who when asked to empty his pokets presented a 200ml bottle of vodka and a bottle of mouthwash (taken from the store). He got fired on site and was a bit of a fuck up (late, not giving a shit etc). I don't blame them for firing him though. Just thought I'd share my drinking story.

Oh and Leena: Find out what she's scared of and then put it in her desk drawer.