TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

Mr. Coffee/Mr. Tea

Just a curiosity of mine.

I'm an espresso guy. Starbucks' inparticular. Can't really get into actual coffee, though.

I never used to be a Starbucks guy (I'd goto Second Cup or Timothy's - Canadian shops) but someone bought be a giftcard about two years ago and I've been hooked ever since. I'm all over the latte with no foam. Sometimes with a double shot of espresso (especially on Mondays) and always with soy milk - unless I feel like intense lactose intolerance pains in my gut. ;)

Usually coffee with half/half and two or three sugars, depending on the size of the cup. If flavored creamers are available though, I'm all up in that. I love me some cinnamon vanilla and hazelnut especially.

Guest Vitamin X

I worked at Starbucks for about a year and a half. Ironically, I drank everything there but regular coffee, which I could only drink straight black, considering its diet value (only 5 calories, speeds up metabolism, etc.). Now, it's about all I drink, but I do make a pretty killer chai latte and probably the best cappuccino in town (I'm good with steaming milk).

If you want to piss off a barista, go and order multiple venti dry soy cappuccinos. It's quite difficult to make soy foam, particularly for an inexperienced barista, so making a large capp. that's damn near all foam with soy, kinda sucks.

Dunkin Donuts also makes pretty decent coffee, but I don't like artificial flavorings in my coffee, just the flavors of the coffee itself.

I worked at Starbucks for about a year and a half. Ironically, I drank everything there but regular coffee, which I could only drink straight black, considering its diet value (only 5 calories, speeds up metabolism, etc.). Now, it's about all I drink, but I do make a pretty killer chai latte and probably the best cappuccino in town (I'm good with steaming milk).

If you want to piss off a barista, go and order multiple venti dry soy cappuccinos. It's quite difficult to make soy foam, particularly for an inexperienced barista, so making a large capp. that's damn near all foam with soy, kinda sucks.

Dunkin Donuts also makes pretty decent coffee, but I don't like artificial flavorings in my coffee, just the flavors of the coffee itself.

Heh, good thing I ask for no foam then. It tastes kinda... burnt.

French Vanilla.

Ahh Timmy Ho's, right? Sometimes when I'm up north (of Toronto) I'll get one of those half-half with coffee. That's about the only way you'll get 'regular' coffee into me.

French Vanilla.

Ahh Timmy Ho's, right? Sometimes when I'm up north (of Toronto) I'll get one of those half-half with coffee. That's about the only way you'll get 'regular' coffee into me.

Indeed, and since in the Niagara Region, there's about 50 Timmy's, and two Starbucks.

I'm also a fan of a Café Mocha as well.

Guest East.Coast.J

I have a pretty good espresso maker that my ex-girlfriend got me back in the day. I get the Starbucks Espresso pods and start the morning every day with a double espresso. If I am going to Starbucks, I just like a straight black Sumatra or something. I'll occassionally get a white chocolate mocha, but it usually kills my stomach.

Honestly I don't really care for Starbucks all that much, I only go because it is right next door and strong. I don't know how big the franchise is nationwide, but The Badass Coffe Co is way better to me.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah Starbucks coffee is really not all that good, especially if it's not particularly fresh. There's a loooot of coffee that goes bad in a worse way than others.

Meh, working for Starbucks the past four years, I usually just drink either the Sumatra or Komodo Dragon blend. Mainly black.. hate adding cream and sugar to the drinks.

Venti Soy Dry Capp's are pretty easy to make.

Starbucks lil' Double Shot cans are a fuckin god-send.

Um.. I forget the brand, but whatever they usually sell in Wal-Mart, they've got a Hazlenut bean that's delicious.

Back when I was a Starbucks regular, I was a Venti Soy Latte guy.

Dunkin' Donuts is the Bud or Miller of the coffee world. Not especially good, but since it's EVERYWHERE people drink it.

Lately I've been going to the mom-n-pop coffee place around the corner from my apartment. I only get a plain ol' coffee there - black, or just cream, depending on my mood.

And things like espresso or cappacino (sp?) ... I'll only get them at a real restaurant. They just don't taste as good at a Starbucks or a <shudder> Dunkin' Donuts.

black coffee or a red eye if i'm extra sluggish. Cream and sugar are unmanly.

And things like espresso or cappacino (sp?) ... I'll only get them at a real restaurant. They just don't taste as good at a Starbucks or a <shudder> Dunkin' Donuts.

Heh, you know a latte is just a cappaucino with less foam and more milk right?

Guest Vitamin X

Heh, you know a latte is just a cappaucino with less foam and more milk right?

I can see where niskie is coming from. While a latte is half-milk, half-foam and a cappuccino is mostly foam and only part milk (let's say 3/4ths foam), it takes a bit more artistry and skill to make a really good capp as opposed to a really good latte. All a latte needs is the milk to be at the right temperature. A cappuccino takes extra effort in the process and timing of the steaming of milk, which your average barista will take a lot of time to learn and eventually master. In many cases like in Starbucks or DD, they'll never be really good at it because they'll just learn to do it as fast as possible, because those places go for quantity not quality. This is why I hated working the bar at Starbucks, because all they wanted was to get the drink out as decent but more importantly as fast as possible.

But anyways cream and sugar isn't necessarily for sissies, but it is for novices. You'll get to enjoy coffee a lot more when you start drinking it black, even if it is an acquired taste. I don't even like drinking it right away either as I feel that most coffee is served way too fucking hot, so it takes 10 minutes for me to start sipping at it, and it does kind of suck in a way because when you get a bad cup of coffee it's so much worse straight black than when you mask the flavor with milk and sugar. But it tastes so much better when you get excellent coffee.

Also, it helps digestion, sometimes a bit too much actually. If I ever feel too full, I can usually just get a cup of coffee and I'll feel fine right afterwards.

So do you guys prefer tea or coffee? I used to drink coffee, but then I realized it really doesn't taste as good as tea. Except at certain diners. Diners are inexplicably the best coffee makers in the world.

So do you guys prefer tea or coffee? I used to drink coffee, but then I realized it really doesn't taste as good as tea. Except at certain diners. Diners are inexplicably the best coffee makers in the world.

I don't do caffeine. And that's the only reason to drink coffee.

So tea.

Raspberry tea.

Guest Vitamin X

I don't do caffeine. And that's the only reason to drink coffee.

So tea.

... But tea has caffeine. Fuck, Darjeeling has as much caffeine in it as a couple shots of espresso. I'm guessing you drink a lot of herbals or something, then.

I prefer coffee in the morning, or pretty much in general considering where I live (great, great coffee roasters up here) but I love tea any other time of day. I actually gave up soda for the most part, even the diet stuff, and I just roll with having tea, water, and juices in the fridge and I like it a lot better that way. I just have a couple lemons in my fridge, or at least I try to at all times, to give the tea and water a little more flavor (I don't sweeten tea with sugar) and also because I can use their juice for other things that I cook.

But anyways yeah, coffee's great, but it all depends. Iced tea is better than iced coffee (but I still drink the latter if I just woke up and it's hot out), but hot coffee is way better than hot tea. And yeah, I drink it straight too, unless I haven't had anything to eat or something, then I'll put in some soy or, on some rare occasions, half and half. Fuck a bunch of regular milk and sugar. That shit's for tea.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I'm one of those Arnold Palmer fiends. God damn that's a refreshing motherfucker.

Tea...I can't live without it. I'll go through 3 or 4 gallons a week.