TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest starvenger

Return of the bob

Guest starvenger

The Bob is back, apparently as a 'freelance editor'.  Well, if you can have freelance writers, artists, letterers and colourists, why not, eh?

What's he gonna edit?  Well, according to Newsarama's Jim Lee interview, he's gonna edit the all new, all different Gen13 that Chris Claremont is gonna be writing.  And of course, it's not gonna be like the old Gen13 or X-Men, so it'll be like Sovereign Seven...

This might be old hat to some of you guys, but it's definitely new to me.

Guest Judas14
The Bob is back, apparently as a 'freelance editor'.  Well, if you can have freelance writers, artists, letterers and colourists, why not, eh?

What's he gonna edit?  Well, according to Newsarama's Jim Lee interview, he's gonna edit the all new, all different Gen13 that Chris Claremont is gonna be writing.  And of course, it's not gonna be like the old Gen13 or X-Men, so it'll be like Sovereign Seven...

This might be old hat to some of you guys, but it's definitely new to me.

This has been in the rumor mills for several months, but no one's really taken them seriously because Bob Harras and Chris Claremont basically hate each other, especially after after Claremont's second X-Men run (which was fucked up from day one by Harras)...

As for Claremont writing Gen13, expect the book to turn into an X-Men rip-off book minus the T&A, lesbians, and one-dimensional stereotypical male characters that gave Gen13 it's identity....

Guest Vyce

Does anyone consider Claremont to be good anymore?

It seems to me that he's just riding on his name value.

Guest starvenger

>Does anyone consider Claremont to be good anymore?

I think that he's still good, but not as good as his first X-Men run.  Considering that that ran basically from Giant-Size #1 (I believe he "contributed" to the story although Len Wein wrote it) to about Uncanny #275, it's doubtful he could do better (and at times, worse).  His style of writing (typically long, intertwined story arcs) doesn't really work in today's big-market comics.

>It seems to me that he's just riding on his name value.

I'm not entirely convinced that he can ride on name value alone.  There are probably a lot of comic fans who simply assume that the best and/or most popular writers are British.

And if you think about it, it seems like Claremont's writing Gen13 because Jim Lee feels that he owes him.

Does anyone consider Claremont to be good anymore?

It seems to me that he's just riding on his name value.

Claremont has the potential to be really good. He is an extremely talented writer, and the late 70's/ early 80's X-Men hold up remarkably well. The only problem is that he needs an editor/ co-writer to rein him in. He and Byrne worked together because they kept the other from going overboard. The first few issues of his last X-Men run were okay, but then he fell back into old habits.

Guest areacode212

Could someone explain the hate for The Bob? I didn't really read any Marvels during his tenure (aside from Thunderbolts when it started, and a bit of the Waid Captain America and some of that Onslaught stuff), so I wasn't paying attention. I had a friend who tried to explain it to me, but he would usually end up going off on an X-Men rant, so I tended to tune him out.

Guest WarMachine
Could someone explain the hate for The Bob? I didn't really read any Marvels during his tenure (aside from Thunderbolts when it started, and a bit of the Waid Captain America and some of that Onslaught stuff), so I wasn't paying attention. I had a friend who tried to explain it to me, but he would usually end up going off on an X-Men rant, so I tended to tune him out.

Well, it's been a while since I was into comics, two years at least, and until now I didn't even know Harras left Marvel. Back then, I never worried about the editors, upper-managment guys and in-business fueds either.

But from my standpoint, Harras was simply extremely over-bearing, and never let his writers have any creative upper hand, when dealing with the titles he was in-charge of. It's thought that he brought down the quality of the XMen-books single handedly with non-consistent story arcs stemming from a revolving door of writers and artists; Those same writers and artists leaving because of a poor relationship with Harras.

I'm sure the above is only one reason of why he's hated. But if I'm wrong, someone else can elaborate.

Guest Judas14

<But from my standpoint, Harras was simply extremely over-bearing, and never let his writers have any creative upper hand, when dealing with the titles he was in-charge of. It's thought that he brought down the quality of the XMen-books single handedly with non-consistent story arcs stemming from a revolving door of writers and artists; Those same writers and artists leaving because of a poor relationship with Harras.

I'm sure the above is only one reason of why he's hated. But if I'm wrong, someone else can elaborate>

Besides being an overbearing, micromanaging editor Harras is also out of touch with his readership to the point of him ordering things done in books that are the exact opposite of what the readership wants (like killing off Mary Jane in order to create a "Single and miserable Spiderman" and giving Rob Liefeld high profile book after high profile book even though no one gives a dam about him anymore) sales and reader morale be damned.....

He's also a big supporter of "The Good Old Boys Network", mainly giving high profile writing gigs to his former editor friends at Marvel reguardless of the fact that they are horrible writers as well as making the asskissing of any flavor of the week artists a regular part of how Marvel ran things in the 1990s.....