TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Super Pissed Smark

Rock's not a movie star yet

Guest Super Pissed Smark

The Friday estimate for Rundown is $6.2 million, which probably means around $17 million or so for what looks like a really weak weekend overall for films. Not bad, but not what was hoped for and only half Scorpion King's $36 million opening in April 2002.

On the other hand he's definitely a bigger star than Ben Stiller. Duplex probably won't do $17 mil in its entire run.

Uh, how can the weekend box office draws be judged when it's still Saturday?

It's not that hard. Most movies do almost double the business on Saturday-

So Rock's movie did 6 mil tonight, probably around 10 night and some extra change tomorrow

Yea I know.

But most movies follow the same pattern of business on the weekend- so unless something extroadinary happens- that prediction is most likely correct

Guest Super Pissed Smark

No, you can judge it now. These numbers aren't going to change by much. Unless the estimate is way off (unlikely) the widest range possible is between $15-19 million. You can estimate the weekend gross from opening night numbers. You can also estimate the total gross from the opening weekend. Unless the movie gets incredible word of mouth it's not going to break $100 million, and even eighty might be tough. :(

RottenTomatoes.com is a compendium of movie reviews.

Rundown is getting a 76% rating, meaning that its on the fresh and good side. Most every comment pulled has something good to say about the Rock

I'd say he hit it big

go read it yourself and disagree...RT is normally right on the money

Guest Super Pissed Smark

No, Hollywood could care less about reviews. It's all about money. This film isn't going to have an Oscar campaign. Rock is still looking for that big breakout hit.

Will this number encourage or discourage Triple-H's movie star dreams? Will Vince still be willing to put up the budget for a film that doesn't have a chance in hell of doing as well as Rundown? Or will Triple-H convince him that Rock dropped the ball and he can do better? Should be pretty funny either way.

I read that this film cost $97 million to produce. The opening box office figures are very important to producers and such in Hollywood as it tells them if the star is a box office draw.

I think $20-25 million will be decent but not great for this film. However, I've noticed in recent weeks that people have not been going to the movies in droves since July.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

The Rock will not be coming back to kiss anyone's asses...face it, wrestling needs him a whole helluva lot than he needs it.

No, Hollywood could care less about reviews. It's all about money. This film isn't going to have an Oscar campaign. Rock is still looking for that big breakout hit.

Will this number encourage or discourage Triple-H's movie star dreams? Will Vince still be willing to put up the budget for a film that doesn't have a chance in hell of doing as well as Rundown? Or will Triple-H convince him that Rock dropped the ball and he can do better? Should be pretty funny either way.

They care about money and reviews. Hollywood is always looking for a movie that can do well in the box office; along with having good reviews.

This pro-wrestler stigma is probably going to stick with Rock for a while. But the great reviews the movie has gotten and the complements Rock has received by most people that have seen the movie is a good first step. Even if the movie doesn't make quite as much as it should. If he continues to make more movies like Rundown I think more people will take him seriously as an actor.

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

I don't know much about the film - is Rock considered the lead actor in it?

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
I don't know much about the film - is Rock considered the lead actor in it?

Yes. Everyone is consdering it his coming out party.

If there is one true thing about Hollywood, it is that the bad films make money. Unless they are REALLY bad. Rundown, IMO, isn't good enough to generate a great deal of money, but it's not god awful so that it will bomb completely.

If there is one true thing about Hollywood, it is that the bad films make money.  Unless they are REALLY bad.  Rundown, IMO, isn't good enough to generate a great deal of money, but it's not god awful so that it will bomb completely.

Uh--that seems contradictory.

Buffy: $97 million to make? Where'd the hell you get that number?!

It may be contradictory, but it explains to me why Finding Nemo, Matrix 2, and X2 made millions while they were all major letdowns. I think most movies are just flat out meaningless. Then of course, there is the Titanic argument, one of the worst movies ever made.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
It may be contradictory, but it explains to me why Finding Nemo, Matrix 2, and X2 made millions while they were all major letdowns. I think most movies are just flat out meaningless. Then of course, there is the Titanic argument, one of the worst movies ever made.

1. Finding Nemo was not a disapointment, it made a assload of cash and was the top grossing movie this year.

2. X2 did within it's (high) expectations.

3. Despite a high drop off rate The Matrix Reloaded was a huge grosser as well.

4. Saying Titantic is one of the worst films of all time is hyperbole to a near hilarious degree.