TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Papacita

Unpredictable Main Events...

When was the last time that, based on the booking/storylines leading into the match, you had no clue who would win a WWF/WWE PPV main event? When was the last time you honestly felt that either participant had a good chance of winning the match?

I think the last time for me was probably Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart from Survivor Series 97. Just about everything since then has been predictable...for me anyway.

Armageddon:

HHH Vs. HBK - Had a feeling HHH was going to get the title back, but I didn't want to see it happen since Shawn had just won a month prior in "oh so emotional" Survivor Series ending after HHH didn't let HBK celebrate his SS victory.

Kurt Angle Vs. The Big Show - I seriously though Kurt wasn't going to win (although I was going for him) because of his knee surgery.

Bad Blood:

HHH Vs. Nash - Figured HHH was going to job the title to his other Klique buddy. I was shocked (and glad) when Nash got buried too.

Guest KJ Brackish

I'm gonna say Elimination Chamber 2002. I honestly thought that Kane, Jericho, or HHH were gonna win. I didn't think there was a angel's chance in hell that Michaels would actually win that match let-alone another world title.

DFA

Guest Choken One

You have to back to Royal Rumble 1992 for a true UNCERTANITY.

HBK/HART? I wasn't really on the IWC scene at the time so i knew NOTHING of the whole deal...

WM2000 was little shakey with the Whole Foley deal and rock...and I even slightly thought TBS would win but oddly NEVER banked HHH would do the one thing no one ever did...Walk out the champion as a heel

Elimination Chamber-

You truly didn't know who was going to win.

I have to admit that Benoit v. Angle at the RR completely sucked me in to the point that I thought Benoit may pull it out

Guest Choken One

well...The topic was which matches GOING into...was unpredictable...

Hell...The way they did the Taka match...I thought for SURE Taka was going to triumph over the Game.

Austin vs. Angle, Summerslam 2001

Because i believed that it was the right time to put the belt on Angle but I also knew they were building towards Rock vs. Austin, so I felt that either man had a good chance of walking out as champ.

Armageddon 2000.

I had been expecting a Undertaker title reign all summer, and it was a Hell In A Cell match. At that point I didn't know whether it was going to be Austin-Rocky or Austin-Triple H at Wrestlemania, so all three of those were in contention. Angle had a chance of retaining and only Rikishi was the lame duck entrant.

Guest Wildbomb 4:20

The last time I was truly surprised?

I think the Michaels-Jericho from Wrestlemania surprised me...I thought for sure Jericho would go over.

On the SmackDown side...This year's Royal Rumble. Benoit and Angle told such a story with their match I thought that Benoit would be able to pull out the victory. Hell, I still think that the promo of the year went to the SmackDown where Benoit and Angle gave the "belt is my life" backstage one.

You have to back to Royal Rumble 1992 for a true UNCERTANITY.

HBK/HART? I wasn't really on the IWC scene at the time so i knew NOTHING of the whole deal...

WM2000 was little shakey with the Whole Foley deal and rock...and I even slightly thought TBS would win but oddly NEVER banked HHH would do the one thing no one ever did...Walk out the champion as a heel

I was convinced Foley would win at WM2000 because on March 23's edition of SmackDown!, Linda McMahon explained what would happen in the event of a Foley victory:

"Triple H, let me give you this bit of information - I think that in all

likelihood, Mick Foley WILL win the match at WrestleMania. And he, then, would go out on top - the way he should go out - retire as the World Wrestling Federation champion. However, that night the title would be declared vacant, and the very next night a tournament would begin that would last for the next few weeks, all the way to Backlash in Washington, DC, where a new World Wrestling Federation champion WILL be crowned."

(Courtesy of CRZ.)

Vengeance. I predicted Kurt would win, but by no means was it a shoe-in. Brock could have easily taken it. This month's Summerslam is also hard to predict, but I am going with Kurt again.

If they take the title from Angle already, it'll be a bad move. His other title reigns weren't legendary at an understatement...unless this is leading to a huge Angle/Lesnar match some time very soon, they can't put the belt on Lesnar.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Well, No Mercy 2000 could've gone either way. I was sure HHH was taking the strap at KOTR 2002. Booker/HHH at Mania too. I thought Booker had that. I guess you'd better add Vince/Hogan to that, as well.

Armageddon 2000.

I had been expecting a Undertaker title reign all summer, and it was a Hell In A Cell match. At that point I didn't know whether it was going to be Austin-Rocky or Austin-Triple H at Wrestlemania, so all three of those were in contention. Angle had a chance of retaining and only Rikishi was the lame duck entrant.

Good call. I was sure either Austin, Rock, HHH, and even Undertaker were going to walk away with the strap. I think Angle shocked everybody by pulling the big upset.

Angle vs Brock vs Big Show suprised me when Angle won the title

I was even more shocked that TBS wasn't the job boy, I thought that was the reason why he got stuck in the match in the first place?

Guest Salacious Crumb

I was really surprised that Angle came out of Vengance with the title.

I thought for sure they were saving the big title change for Summerslam.

I even had a conversation that night with a friend and we both agreed it would be awesome if Angle got the belt but thought he wasn't going to get it for another month.

Before that probably Big Show getting the belt. But that was more of a what the hell are they smoking kind of thing.