TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Epic Reine

Benoit DVD Discussion Thread

Sony, the distributors of WWE's DVDs, sent word to their retailers today that they are 3-5 business days behind schedule on printing the new Hard Knocks - The Chris Benoit Story.

The highly anticipated Benoit DVD, which was scheduled to hit retail outlets this coming Tuesday, will be delayed in most stores. If you see the DVD at your local retail outlet in Tuesday, you will be in the minority. The DVD should hopefully hit the remaining outlets by the following week.

http://www.pwinsider.com

Guest Askewniverse

If this is true, it sucks. I'll still check my local stores on Tuesday.

Josh Matthews and Dr. Tom Prichard were just talking about the DVD on Byte This, but they didn't mention anything about a delay (not that I'd expect them to). They even gave away two copies of the DVD. They also showed a preview of (what I assume to be) the main feature, which included footage of Benoit's tryout match against Bob Holly.

You mean the tryouts he had in '95 when he was being courted by both WWF and WCW? Too bad they couldn't stick the one he had with Adam Bomb on there. That was when DiBiase came out with him and he was rumored to debut as Ted's "Corporate Crippler" or somthing similar.

Guest FrigidSoul
That was when DiBiase came out with him and he was rumored to debut as Ted's "Corporate Crippler" or somthing similar.

I never heard of that. Rather than go with Benoit did they just choose to go with Austin and give him the spot, making him the 'Ring Master'?

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Maybe there are so many preorders they have to make a lot more just to meet the pre-order sales? :P

Emoticon aside, you're probobly not too far off there. The WWE's been having a string of good luck with their DVDs, and they probobly got more copies requested then usual.

Guest wildpegasus
If this is true, it sucks. I'll still check my local stores on Tuesday.

Josh Matthews and Dr. Tom Prichard were just talking about the DVD on Byte This, but they didn't mention anything about a delay (not that I'd expect them to). They even gave away two copies of the DVD. They also showed a preview of (what I assume to be) the main feature, which included footage of Benoit's tryout match against Bob Holly.

That means the footage mostl likely exists of the Benoit vs Owen Hart match.

Spare a thought for us Brits. I don't know how long we'll be waiting to get this bad boy, but it ain't gonna make me happy.

Guest Askewniverse
They also showed a preview of (what I assume to be) the main feature, which included footage of Benoit's tryout match against Bob Holly.

That's a good possibility. To the best of my knowledge, all three of Benoit's tryout matches took place at TV tapings. If you're interested, the Benoit footage from Byte This starts near the 48:35 mark.

Thats weird. I've had my copy for like a week now.

Don't know why Australia gets it first but I'm not complaining.

Some DVD Notes:

- There's an easter egg on how Benoit lost his tooth

- Todd Grisham's commentary on the Japanese matches is hilariously misinformed. At one point he observes that the Japanese wrestling style is very similar to lucha libre. Benoit and Malenko go 'no....not really'.

- Commentary on the Regal match is interesting as Prichard says its the match he shows students who want to learn about wrestling.

Guest wildpegasus
Thats weird. I've had my copy for like a week now.

Don't know why Australia gets it first but I'm not complaining.

Some DVD Notes:

- There's an easter egg on how Benoit lost his tooth

- Todd Grisham's commentary on the Japanese matches is hilariously misinformed. At one point he observes that the Japanese wrestling style is very similar to lucha libre. Benoit and Malenko go 'no....not really'.

- Commentary on the Regal match is interesting as Prichard says its the match he shows students who want to learn about wrestling.

I've seen the awesome Benoit vs Regal match before but I was wondering how it came off on the DVD with the commentary and the crowd.

I didn't remember people chanting "Boring" at the beginning of the match, but maybe that's because my brain cells were boiling inside that god-forsaken Schmidt Center.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

How is Pritchard on commentary, he seems pretty intelligent on Byte This!

He's actually not too bad. He talks mostly throughout the match about how Benoit and Regal work the crowd and dictate the pace of match rather than letting the fans dictate.

He talks in a vague sort of way about the match's "psychology" but rather than pointing out anything specific he says things like 'there is no wasted movement'.

The rest of the match they talk about Regal returning from injury, a bit about the Pillman memorial and that sort of thing.

Guest wildpegasus
They also showed a preview of (what I assume to be) the main feature, which included footage of Benoit's tryout match against Bob Holly.

That's a good possibility. To the best of my knowledge, all three of Benoit's tryout matches took place at TV tapings. If you're interested, the Benoit footage from Byte This starts near the 48:35 mark.

I caught the episode and I just realised I've never seen the NWA tournament match of Benoit vs Scorpio from 8/27/94. I'm happy now though I don't like smark like commentary on anything especially Benoit vs Regal.

The clips of the career retrospective look great and from the sound of it it was Benoit himself who picked out the matches from 3 pages worth. Interesting.

Does anyone know if they have the Benoit/Eddie looker room bit meeting on the DVD?

Guest combat_rock

I hope so. That was awesome. If they actually gave Benoit that assasin, stalker type gimmick, he'd probably be even more over than he already is.

Guest DeathBecomesYou

That's weird if you guys can't get it yet, while it's been available here in Australia a few days, especially since we're usually about a month behind the US when it comes to DVD releases. Pritchard's commentary on the Pillman memorial match is pretty good, so is Cole's for that matter, although they don't really call the match, they more or less put Benoit and Regal over as the consumate workers while ignoring the play by play.

Guest wildpegasus
That's weird if you guys can't get it yet, while it's been available here in Australia a few days, especially since we're usually about a month behind the US when it comes to DVD releases. Pritchard's commentary on the Pillman memorial match is pretty good, so is Cole's for that matter, although they don't really call the match, they more or less put Benoit and Regal over as the consumate workers while ignoring the play by play.

I'm not sure about this DVD but in Canada we get WWE DVDs signifigantly later than in the States.

Does anyone know if they have the Benoit/Eddie looker room bit meeting on the DVD?

Locker room bit? Can you be more specific? Do you mean the one at WMXX? In that case...no.

The Benoit/Eddie match from Nitro was great minus Eddie's hilariously botched 619 at the start.

Guest combat_rock

I think WP meant the segment where Benoit was waiting in the dark for Guerrero.

Guest wildpegasus

Locker room bit? Can you be more specific? Do you mean the one at WMXX? In that case...no.

The Benoit/Eddie match from Nitro was great minus Eddie's hilariously botched 619 at the start.

Yeah, the Mania bit. Thanks for the reply. I'm very tired so some of the things I'm tying might not make too much sense.

I don't remember Eddie botching anything in this. The 619 wasn't around than (Or at least well known) so Eddie would've been up to something else.

Well it wasn't the 619 per se. Benoit was on the floor and he was faking diving through the ropes and was attempting to swing his way back in to the ring. Instead he gets caught in the ropes and wedgies himself.

Of course, straight afterwards he makes amends by diving off the top turnbuckle to the outside in spectacular fashion.