TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 84 - Ill Will

* Champ B.J. Penn vs. Sean Sherk (for lightweight title)

* Keith Jardine vs. Wanderlei Silva

* Lyoto Machida vs. Tito Ortiz

* Rashad Evans vs. Thiago Silva

* Terry Etim vs. Jeremy Stephens

* John Koppenhaver vs. TBA

* Wilson Gouveia vs. Goran Reljic

* Rousimar Palhares vs. Ivan Salaverry

* Dong-Hyun Kim vs. Jason Tan

That's a pretty damn good TV portion of the card. First of all - I'm looking forward to B.J./Sherk more than most fights in the works right now. I'd buy it for that itself.

Wandy/Jardine is official as of today. If we're using MMAmath that's an easy win for Jardine, but since MMAmath doesn't really exist... well, I'm still going to go with Jardine. Wandy isn't superman anymore and I can definitely see Jardine grinding out a decision like he did against Chuck.

Tito's last UFC fight and I guarantee we're going to see fireworks between Tito and Dana both leading up to the fight and at the card itself. In fact, a little bit of it has already started. FWIW, I can see this backfiring on the UFC as Tito might be able to overmatch Lyoto's counter style and grind out a win. Either way, this will be a spectacle.

And Silva/Rashad will be a test for both men and a big step up for the winner. Hell, if Rashad wins he probably will be in line for a no. 1 contender match.

I'm pretty psyched up for this one. Three damn good PPVs and an unreal UFN coming up.

Ok, so 205 has a few legit title contenders.

Forrest first.

I'd say if Forrest beats Rampage and Jardine beats Wandy then Keith gets the first crack at Forrest with Chuck, Rashad, and Rampage all having a legit shot at the title (assuming wins in their next matches).

If Rampage retains then Chuck probably gets a rematch with Rashad and Jardine somewhere below while Forrest disappears for awhile.

Now, if Wanderlei beats Jardine then Jardine is out of the title picture. Wanderlei also can't get a title shot before Chuck, for obvious reasons.

And let's not forget Machida, who honestly, if he beats Tito has got to be pretty damn close.

It's not an easy time to be Joe Silva right now...although there probably never is.

Well - they can slot in Okami if he gets past Tanner. And if not they can always just give a title match to Tanner.

Hopefully someone else emerges in the time it takes for that to happen.

I feel worse for him in the 185 division. Especially if Silva wins. They have no contenders.

As Mik already stated... Okami/Tanner winner should be the #1 contender... If Lutter gets past Franklin(which I don't think he will) he will be instant contender as well.

Beating Franklin would put Lutter in a great position to get another title shot... I don't think it should be 2 fights after Franklin, maybe just won. Kampmann could be another valid contender.

Kampmann has been inactive for too long to be considered a contender right now though he's definetly a prospect. I'd say it's almost a gimme that the winner of Tanner/Okami gets the next shot and then after that it's a toss-up between Cote, Leities and maybe even Marquardt again.

Kampmann should be making his return sometime in the summer, hopefully against another contender... I think Cote/Kampmann would be a really good fight.

There is no UFC 85 thread yet, so I will just mention it here, Shogun Rua has injured his knee again and is out of UFC 85 vs. Liddell.....

Lutter would have at least two fights after Franklin to build himself back up. We tend to forget that he never really was a contender in the first place.

Which is related to why I have a hard time considering Cote as a viable contender at this juncture.

Tito's talking about going elsewhere. I wouldn't miss him

I have that pic as my desktop background. It's a huge pic and I shrunk a version of it down to use here. If you wanna give me your e-mail addy I can give you the full sized one

This card has Shane Carwin's much awaited UFC debut. He's only fighting Christian Wellisch, so it should be an easy win. I can't wait to see him in action.

This card has Shane Carwin's much awaited UFC debut. He's only fighting Christian Wellisch, so it should be an easy win. I can't wait to see him in action.

What exactly are you basing your 'easy win' comments on?

1) Wellisch never really being impressive and not having fought in 8 months

2) Video clips I've seen of Carwin on the internets. He appears to be quite a beast.

3) Everyone who knows more than I do calling him a future heavyweight champion.

Now - granted, they could all be wrong about him but I feel like Wellisch is kind of a "feed to the wolves" move here. I wouldn't even call him a gatekeeper, unless he's gotten a lot better in the past 8 months.

Didn't War Machine get signed to a ridiculously long contract recently? Apparently, Joe Silva hasn't seen much of Yoshida either if he expects anything except War Machine to get elbowed into pieces.

Also, Wellisch has lost to the likes of Soa Palalei & MOTHERFUCKIN' POWER WARRIOR, so Carwin should win. That being said, Carwin hasn't shown me that he's much beyond a slightly more evolved Waterman at this point.

Pretty standard generic promo video but it hypes me up. I can't wait for BJ/Sherk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjkfJKSZoiQ

We can't imbed videos anymore?

Watching that video just makes me wish UFC still had the huge main entrance / ramp walk way to the Octagon. I'm getting a bit miffed on this whole "fighter walks from the back thru crowd" shit.