TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC "major" announcement thread

Original quote:

There’s something no one else has heard. You have no idea some of the stuff that we have planned. I’m going to make an announcement next week that is going to blow people’s minds. That deal is done, but my employees don’t even know yet. I’m renting out a place next Thursday and I’m going to tell them. Then we’ll make the announcement later that day. It’s an indicator of where this business is going over the next five years.

Of course, FozOP is running wild with speculation. We might as well guess too.

I guess a TV deal is the obvious choice but does anyone want to throw any oddball ideas in to the mix?

I'm guessing that the announcement will be big enough to keep this a thread and rename it afterward and if it's not then I'll just delete this.

Chuck vs Anderson

As cool as that would be, I doubt that would shape the next 5 years of the sport.

Possibly a deal with 2 or 3 of the smaller promotions, or maybe some of the international ones where the UFC will go international (outside of england).

Or who knows, maybe he'll pull a Vince and go public and announce he's fixing the fights.

Things the announcement is NOT about so far....

- Not about Mayweather joining UFC

- Not any kind of a TV deal

- Very good chance it's not Chuck/Silva as that's not something that would fit into a 5 year plan

I wonder if they said it's not a TV deal just as smoke and mirrors.

I mean, if it's not...what else could shape the next 5 years? Maybe a buy-out... new ownership? New partners?

Legalization in NY? That would be weak though... and I live in NY.

Prepare to be disapointed

Hey, I'm a Leafs fan. Like Bills, Indians and Cubs fans (to name a few others), I'm used to being disappointed.

UFC president Dana White and UFC heavyweight Brock Lesnar's appearance on today's CNBC "Power Lunch" program was to announce a deal with toy maker Jakks Pacific Inc.

The UFC and Jakks signed a four-year license agreement to develop a line of collector-focused UFC action figures and accessories.

Still SUPPOSED to be a big Thursday deal

Here's the lineup.

The new UFC product line from JAKKS will be collector-focused, and the license covers UFC legend Chuck “The Iceman” Liddell, Brock Lesnar, Antonio “Minotauro” Nogueira, Michael “The Count” Bisping and UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson “The Spider” Silva, among others. The license also includes the famed UFC Octagon, and role-play items based on the UFC brand and its classic and current roster of star fighters.

I have been looking for figures to put on my DVD rack next to Charlie, Locke, and Mr. Eko for awhile now and this might be the trick. However... those aren't exactly the UFC figurines I want.

I'd buy:

Lesnar

B.J. Penn

GSP

Anderson Silva

Rampage

Wanderlei

Huerta (obviously) :wub:

I may be forgetting some but I wouldn't spend a dime on any other fighter right now. I wouldn't buy any at all if I didn't think they looked cool filling up some space on a giant DVD case.

From MMAJunkie....

"Debunked rumors included the possibility of boxer Floyd Mayweather joining the organization; World Wrestling Entertainment partnering with the UFC in any capacity (including ownership and merchandising); the UFC appearing on FOX, ABC or another network; and the UFC possibly going public. White said none of them were true."

So no confirmation/denial of Chuck vs Anderson but that's nothing that he'd gather everybody together for. Gotta say I'm semi-intrigued on this one simply because of what's been shot down so far.

YNA- In regards to your comment on soccer kicks/stomps/knees there's going to be a conference for boxing/MMA judges in Montreal coming up and Big John is going to be making a presentation to the athletic commissions in attendance about why knees on the ground should allowed in MMA.

The hottest of the rumors, and those that were posed to the UFC president on CNBC, include speculation that the promotion has signed recently retired boxing superstar Floyd Mayweather, Jr.; that they will enter into a partnership with World Wrestling Entertainment and Vince McMahon; that a new television deal with either FOX, ABC, or ESPN is on the table; or that the company will announce it is going public. All of which White responded to with a definite, and at times chuckling, “No.”

They need a James Irvin figure with "One Punch! One Punch!" action. Also, Chris Leben with a jaw that, when hit, causes him to hit back, a Nate Quarry running man figure, and, of course, a GSP figure that backflips but never quite hits it.

... (Mike) Goldberg turns heel?

Getting legalized in NY sounds about right for Dana. He has always wanted have MSG host.

at the risk of being greedy, I could care less about MMA in NY. Wouldn't enhance my MMA viewing pleasure any

PRIDE relaunch? If that's even possible at this point...

Otherwise, all I could figure into it is some supercard deal with UFC guys taking on different stars from EliteXC, DREAM, Affliction, etc. Best of the Best dream card or something.

UFC's big announcement doesn't have to do with their new action figure deal with Jakks Pacific that Dana White talked about on CNBC today.

The announcement has also apparently been delayed, and will now be made next Tuesday.

Credit: WrestlingObserver.com

Pshaw

When the UFC pops a buyrate of 2,000,000 or over, we'll talk about that one.

You know what I mean. MSG and boxing have always been synonymous with each other and for UFC to step into their backyard would be big news.

Sure would. I wonder if they'd open the Theater up for mass viewing on big screens as well.

UFC in New York would be huge, media capital of the world and all. I think it's worthy of being called a major announcement.