Jake O'Brien vs. Cain Velasquez

Kevin Burns vs. Anthony Johnson

C.B. Dollaway vs. Jesse Taylor

PRELIMINARY CARD

Brodie Farber vs. Rory Markham

Brad Blackburn vs. James Giboo

Nate Loughran vs. Johnny Rees

Shannon Gugherty vs. Dale Hartt

I think it turned out to be a pretty good free card, actually... with the addition of C.B. vs. Jesse. Obviously it's a rushed UFN but it's the perfect card to breeze through after the Affliction show.

My picks:

Silva via KO round 2

Vera via KO round 1

Edgar via UD

Velasquez via KO round 3 (try and lay on a high level college wrestler for three rounds Jake)

Rumble via KO round 1

C.B. via UD

Yes, sub of the night may very well come from the undercard here.

I'm rooting for Irvin. Not because I dislike Silva, but because I love anarchy. I want to see what the hell UFC does if Silva loses in the main event on a free show in a new weightclass against Affliction. It'll be a fun fight, however long it lasts. Silva should beat Irvin comfortably, but Irvin has some serious striking power. There's always that chance.

As for the rest of the show...eh. Jake O'Brien is no fucking buys though, that's for sure.

I personally hope this show bombs terribly in the ratings to teach UFC a lesson about trying to fuck-over competition by any means they can take. I don't think it's going to bomb in ratings but I don't see it doing all that well either. And if James fucking Irvin beats Anderson I'll shit a chicken.

Yeah, that's a pretty unknown undercard.

While I don't want this to bomb, it's a bitch move for trying to cut Affliciton's nuts off for their ppv, so it wouldn't bother me too badly if it didn't do great

Yeah, that's a pretty unknown undercard.

While I don't want this to bomb, it's a bitch move for trying to cut Affliciton's nuts off for their ppv, so it wouldn't bother me too badly if it didn't do great

This card is a fucking landmine of potential mishaps.

For one, it won't affect Affliction's Buyrate at all. There's a thing called DVR now, not to mention replays. People will see both regardless. And for a die hard, who the *fuck* would pass up Affliction for this? Catch the main, skip just about everything else. Stupid idea.

For two, there are too many possibilities. It is highly, highly unlikely that Irvin can beat Silva...but what if he can? What the HELL do you do if he can? It would have been much smarter to give Silva a more known opponent. Irvin has gotten 100% lucky one shot KO's before. Lets not forget that the guy broke into a dead run at the beginning of a round before and clocked the opponent with a flying knee. He's not good but he's potentially dangerous. Stupid and dangerous.

What if Brandon Vera loses? He just fought like two months ago. That's very high turn around for UFC. It's also his first fight at LHW, and their giving him someone who no one knows. Even if this Reese guy has no shot, it's still bad booking.

and finally, why the *HELL* would you put Jake O'Brien on the main card against a guy you want to groom for the top? If I'm not mistaken, Cain's a high level wrestler too, which means one of them is going to be negated. And given how O'Brien's strategy in all UFC fights thus far has been to shut down opponents and take the decision, I'd vote on him.

This is what happens when you plan an entire show around fucking someone over. Lazy booking, and illthought out matches result. I sincerely doubt any upsets will happen, but man they'd be fun to watch take place.

How about CB Dollaway? He just came off a loss to Amir and looked like a bitch for complaining about not tapping when it was clear he did. He was groomed all season on UF and now, two straight losses plus the fact that no one likes him because hes a dick, what will that do for him?

I'm never going to complain about having free cards. Though the idea of having this as competition to Affliction is laughable. There's no way they DON'T lose their shirt on this one, so Dana has nothing to worry about - they'll be out of money before the show is over.

I honestly think Jess can hold him down and get a snooze decision.

The whole Vera fight just seems stupid to me. The general idea of thinking is that if someone moves down in weight then it's to their advantage, so it would make perfect sense for Vera to start off with someone in the middle of the pack or someone near the top...and not some dude I've never heard of. For the co-headlining fight it's weak.

Jake vs Cain and the main event are two dangerous matches for the UFC. If Anderson does suffer some freak knockout loss then I don't think he loses any credit at 185. They'll sell him as "undefeated at 185" instead of undefeated in the UFC. BUT what they really missed was selling Anderson moving up in weight to fight a real 205 conteder. Ando vs Chuck or Rampage would have made monster money for the UFC. Instead they're giving away his (temporary) move to 205 and it's against who cares

What's to keep Dana from doing this to combat every single Affliction card? If this shit works then it'll happen every time. Which let's face it is a bitch move. Completely his right to do so, but as a fan I think healthy competition would be the best thing for the UFC. Otherwise it'll get stale

I don't think direct competition is all that healthy for the UFC. They've shown that they tend to listen to criticism about their product - for example, they haven't shown entrances when they air prelims for the past few shows after there was a stink after that one show (whatever it was). Also, showing prelims for free on their website is another great move. In terms of production, their countdown shows have improved after people were saying they were getting stale. For the most part, they are still listening to fan response. They also see other sports as being competition, so it's not like they have a false sense of security.

My main issue is their PPV charges, if other shows had frequent PPV's at a lower price that attracted higher demand, it would force the UFC to respond in-kind. But that's not going to happen, because there isn't a company out there that can do that. Especially ones that have huge payrolls and feed into fighters' ridiculous pay demands.

So, I take it Jesse Taylor has cleaned up his act, which is why he's getting this second chance?

The Dolloway/Taylor fight should be about as entertaining as a high school jock fight: Fun for a bit, boring later. I will admit, I was a slight fan of CB, but after he lost to Amir twice to the exact same thing, and then bitched about it afterward, I kinda lost respect for him. I really hope Jesse proves to him, Dana, and UFC fans that he should be there.

And I've only seen Silva fight once, so I'm excited to see this upcoming fight. He's up to Light Heavyweight now? Does anyone think this will affect his game at all?

The highlight reel is not complete if it didn't have him in Michael Jackson garb dancing and yelling after he caved in Carlos Newton's skull with a flying knee.

andersonnewtonpb9.gif

That picture is great.

I had a terrible dream that Silva blew out his knee in this fight and nobody but me saw it. I was watching it and I saw something pop out in his knee and then he hit the ground just as Irvin swung. Then Irvin pounced on him and none of my friends I was watching it with could see the knee blowout in the replay. And Rogan and Goldberg didn't see it either and they were hailing Irvin as some sort of giant killer and just generally going crazy over it.

Now I'm nervous. Better not be an omen.

Tough to say. The only chance Serra had against GSP was a punchers chance and that's basically what Irvin has here. I'd say if he wins it still wouldn't be as bad as Cro-Cop/Gonzaga.

Tough to say. The only chance Serra had against GSP was a punchers chance and that's basically what Irvin has here. I'd say if he wins it still wouldn't be as bad as Cro-Cop/Gonzaga.

For the record, I thought Gonzaga had a very legit chance at beating Cro Cop... Where as I thought Serra had no chance in hell against GSP.

A lot of people are not counting out Irvin although predicting Anderson to win, a lot of people don't know how Anderson is going to handle being 205.

History since Mirko/Gonzaga hasn't exactly been too kind on that in terms of stature. It was huge at the time, but since then we've seen that:

- Mirko is/was slumping incredibly badly. Multiple factors here, and he still probably is. We can't tell because he won't FIGHT.

- Gonzaga has failed against other top ten heavyweights. Couture beat him, and Werdum pretty much mauled him. It's questionable if Gonzaga is legit or not. His win over Eilers (...or was it McCully?) looked good, but his opponent wasn't in the same ballpark skill wise.

- And finally. If Gonzaga had displayed that high kick before, would Mirko have gotten caught by it? I've always wondered that one, since Mirko obviously tries to block a low/middle kick. Then whack. A what if, if you will.

As far as upsets go, Serra/GSP is still the biggest. That came out of nowhere, and stature wise, it's not hurt because Serra hasn't fought anyone but GSP as of late. And even if he did, that win had a weird, comet like feeling. Like it HAPPENED, and it'll NEVER happen again. With Gonzaga, it just made you think the guy was a monster. Hasn't panned out that well.

- Gonzaga has failed against other top ten heavyweights. Couture beat him, and Werdum pretty much mauled him. It's questionable if Gonzaga is legit or not. His win over Eilers (...or was it McCully?) looked good, but his opponent wasn't in the same ballpark skill wise.

Werdum mauled him? What fight were you watching? Gonzaga was clearly winning that fight until Gonzaga gassed out... If Gonzaga had a gas tank he would've took that fight. Werdum pretty much won with the Homer Simpson tatic...

Gassing then being beaten on until the fight stops = Mauling.

Either way, it doesn't matter. Gonzaga's stock has fallen drastically even within the UFC. He was in the prelims, in a fight that if he lost, he was likely going to be released.

That's why the KO doesn't much matter in the grand scheme of things.