BUTT

Candy Manufacturer 3-Way Dance

Which is your favorite  

36 members have voted

1. 1. There can be only one

• Hershey
    • Nestle
    • Mars

The time is right to decide this. The three titans of chocolate do battle in an epic triple threat match.

Hershey: Hershey bar, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and/or Pieces, Kisses, 5th Avenue, Mr. Goodbar, Krackel, Heath Bar, Kit Kat

Nestle: Crunch, Butterfinger, 100 Grand, Baby Ruth

Mars: Mars bar, Snickers, M&Ms, Milky Way, Twix, 3 Musketeers

Oh man, this is impossible. One the one hand, you have Hershey, who also makes Oh Henry!, Glosettes, and Cookies 'n' Creme bars up here. On the other you have Nestle, which also makes Coffee Crisp and Aero.

I have to go Hershey by a hair. Although really, Cadbury (Caramilk, Dairy Milk, Fruit & Nut, Mr. Big and the Easter Creme Eggs) should be the true winner.

Guest Vitamin X

No competition for me- I go Hershey's all the way here. Nestle comes close with Crunch and Mars with Twix, but Hershey has the stronger product line. And Mars/Milky Way seems to be way too into that chewy caramel toffee crap that permeates every crevice of your teeth.

Hershey is the best American-owned company here, although sadly they've been moving jobs out of the states recently to Mexico and Canada- something that they didn't do in the 90's and were praised for.

Guest Czech please!

Hershey sucks. Most of that is just plain old chocolate. Kisses. Who gives a fuck. I'll eat a Mr. Goodbar if you give one to me, but I've never actively sought them. I'll eat the hell out of a Heath bar, though.

Nestle has some heavy hitters, and the Butterfinger is my favorite candy bar of all, but Nestle Crunch underwhelms me, and renaming Nestle Quik "NesQuik" never made any sense to me.

But Mars! Praised be the god of war and the confections that bear his name! The 3 Musketeers/Milky Way/Snickers pyramid has never let me down. Skittles and Starburst are never disappointing. I hate M&Ms, but that's like begrudging a crappy song on the white album: there are so many other good ones that you can allow for a misfire or two. There are so many great varieties of Starburst, Skittles, and Twix. All great. Mars gets my vote.

Am I correct to believe that the sequel to this thread is Kellogg's/Post/General Mills?

Guest Vitamin X

Czech and I are complete polar opposites on the candy bar spectrum. Who cares if it's just plain old chocolate? That's the beauty of it. Same with M&m's, Hershey's kisses (especially the white chocolate swirl ones- they still make em? Best chocolate ever!).

And I've had a lot of disappointing Starbursts. Sticky, sugary substance with synthesized fruit "flavor" added for variety. Blech. Ditto Skittles.

Dagoba is actually my favorite chocolate bar company. (edit: Except I just looked up some information on them and found that in 2006 they were acquired by Hershey, although they're still based out of Oregon. Further cementing my vote there!)

Hershey is the best American-owned company here, although sadly they've been moving jobs out of the states recently to Mexico and Canada- something that they didn't do in the 90's and were praised for.

Don't be lumping us in there. Our Hershey plant in Smiths Falls is closing down. All those jobs are going to Mexico.

But Mars! Praised be the god of war and the confections that bear his name! The 3 Musketeers/Milky Way/Snickers pyramid has never let me down. Skittles and Starburst are never disappointing. I hate M&Ms, but that's like begrudging a crappy song on the white album: there are so many other good ones that you can allow for a misfire or two. There are so many great varieties of Starburst, Skittles, and Twix. All great. Mars gets my vote.

I agree with pretty much all of this, except I dislike Snickers. I don't mind the peanuts, but the whole thing just seems off.

Guest Czech please!

The swirly Kisses were called Hugs. I haven't seen them lately.

I like straight chocolate, preferably dark chocolate, but if I'm in the market for that, I'll go to Fannie May or a little hole-in-the-wall candy store, or just a bag of Ghirardelli, which I like. A block of plain old mediocre Hershey's milk chocolate, who gives a shit. I need gimmicks to my candy.

Guest Vitamin X

That's what I'm saying. Sure Butterfingers are great and all, but you can't disparage the good name of a Reese's peanut butter cup.

Although I do love some Ghirardelli too. Never heard of Fannie May chocolate- is that how they got that sweet, sweet government money?

I have joined Czech as an acolyte of the red planet, mostly due to Mars & Milky Way bars. I do like Heath Bars (especially Heath Bar Blizzards from DQ!). And Nestle has a couple of studs in Butterfinger and 100 Grand. But ultimately, I think I have to go Mars.

Don't be lumping us in there. Our Hershey plant in Smiths Falls is closing down. All those jobs are going to Mexico.

It hasn't closed yet? I remember hearing about probably 18 months ago.

I can't decide. Give me a few days - my Dad and I had a discussion about our five fave chocolate bars, and it took, like, a week of decision.

It hasn't closed yet? I remember hearing about probably 18 months ago.

I think it's just closing up now. If that town weren't a big enough shithole as it is, rampant unemployment will sure help!

Although I will miss trips to the Hershey store there.

and renaming Nestle Quik "NesQuik" never made any sense to me.

That's what it was always called all around the world. Worldwide branding NO LOGO and all that .

I hate M&Ms,

Unacceptable.

Am I correct to believe that the sequel to this thread is Kellogg's/Post/General Mills?

I'll consider it.

The time is right to decide this. The three titans of chocolate do battle in an epic triple threat match.

Hershey: Hershey bar, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and/or Pieces, Kisses, 5th Avenue, Mr. Goodbar, Krackel, Heath Bar, Kit Kat

How dare you leave out the greatest candy bar known to mankind!!

2277906833_dd288c6554_m.jpg

I cant in good conscience vote for Hershey however since they've begun removing the cocoa butter from their candies and replacing it with vegetable oil which is cheaper and also makes it illegal to call the them "milk chocolate" (they are instead "chocolately' or "chocolate candy" or whatever) They havent done it to their flagship stuff yet, but take a look at a Krackle or Mr. Goodbar and you'll see what they're doing. They even did it to my favorite candy bar, which is why Im pissed off.

Ive gotta go M&M Mars.

Put me in the "I have no idea what Marvin posted a picture of" club.

The list of Nestle products sure undersells them - they seem to have a bigger name in Canada. Perhaps it's the Aero and Coffee Crisp we enjoy up here. I once had a job - well to be more accurate, my mom had the job and I helped since it was the summer and school was out - working for some group called "Actmedia" where they sent you on point of sale checks / re-arrangements to all the Mac's convenience marts. I only did this twice - once for Pepsi (which was checking "Pepsi Stuff" standees and signs, and also standing in a very cold freezer seeing what flavours were in stock) and other was for Nestle, peeling off stickers for their nickel candy, putting up new ones, and moving the boxes around. I didn't really like that one.

Hershey's makes good chocolate but there is nothing spectacular about it. I also despise the fact that bags of miniatures come with dark chocolate, and a lot of it (ONE piece is too many). I did enjoy getting a Nutrageous whenever I was in the US as those don't exist here, just the very similar but not similar enough "Fast Break".

Mars wins though - M&M's are great while Snickers and Mars bars are terrific. That's really all they need to win.

Oh man, this is impossible. One the one hand, you have Hershey, who also makes Oh Henry!, Glosettes, and Cookies 'n' Creme bars up here. On the other you have Nestle, which also makes Coffee Crisp and Aero.

I have to go Hershey by a hair. Although really, Cadbury (Caramilk, Dairy Milk, Fruit & Nut, Mr. Big and the Easter Creme Eggs) should be the true winner.

Yeah, Cadbury is easily the best major chocolate company so I don't know why it isn't on this poll.

On the poll though, the answer is Hershey. Cookies N Creme is probably my favourite single chocolate bar out there.

hersheyscc_wr.jpg

Yeah, what is that? Is that a Whatchamacalit? I haven't seen those for sale since I was eight years old - 1992.

Indeed it is.

I loved them when I was a kid and then I didnt see them much after about 1996ish, then when I went to SC for College they had them down there and I went nuts. When I came back to MD they were still not sold here, but about 2 or 3 years ago they made a comeback at least here anyway.

Hershey - Reese's Peanut Butter Cups & York Peppermint Patties are just too strong. Hershey's Chocolate Syrup, too! I'm also from eastern Pennsylvania, so I think I'm contractually bound to vote for Hershey. Mars is a close 2nd with 3 Musketeers & Milky Way.

Mars. They have the peanut butter M&M's, therefore, they have my vote.

I'm going with Mars as well but with the ever elusive Almond M&Ms (I can only seem to be find them in the big bags) as the deciding factory in my vote.. Plus they got Twix, Milky Way, and Snickers, which while not the greatest candy bars in the world, are remarkably consistent. Plus I love me some Starburst. Skittles I can take or leave but that's the only one of their heavy hitters that I don't like.