TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - February 2008

Another month, another thread. January was actually a pretty good month but the thread was not as active as some previous months... funny how that works out. Some folks switched to DirecTV and lost 24/7 as well. Anyway, here's WWE.com's take on the month (and to steal a joke from last month's thread, there seems to be no special features on Randy Orton):

FEBRUARY 2008: HEADLOCKS AND WEDLOCK

All February on WWE 24/7 On Demand, celebrate the brutal and the beautiful during “Headlocks and Wedlock” month.

LEGENDS

WWE Hall of Fame: Don Muraco – We chronicle the career of one of WWE’s most despised Superstars of the ‘80s. Follow the “Magnificent” one from his early days in NWA’s Florida territory to his historic Intercontinental Title run in the WWE. Highlights include his 2004 Hall of Fame induction and all his classic battles against Jimmy Snuka, Pedro Morales, Bob Backlund, Hulk Hogan and others.

Brian Pillman: Loose Cannon – A detailed look at the life of one of sports-entertainment’s most courageous and controversial Superstars. Relive Pillman’s early days in professional football, his days in Stampede Wrestling, his WCW success as Flyin’ Brian and his “Hollywood Blondes” partnership with Stone Cold Steve Austin and later days as a member of the Four Horsemen and the “Loose Cannon.” Plus, other classic footage and revealing interviews.

THE BIG ONES

Clash of the Champions: 20th Anniversary – The very first Clash of the Champions is presented in honor of the 20th Anniversary of the historic debut event. See all the great action, which includes Sting challenging “Nature Boy” Ric Flair in a legendary battle for the NWA World Championship. Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard defend the NWA Tag Team title against Barry Windham and Lex Luger. The Road Warriors and Dusty Rhodes face the Powers of Pain and Ivan Koloff in a Barbed Wire Match. Plus, see interviews with various participants including Jim Ross, Dusty Rhodes and Mike Rotunda.

WWE St. Valentine’s Day Massacre – There’s no love lost between WWE Superstars at this Valentine’s Day slugfest. Stone Cold Steve Austin battles the boss, Mr. McMahon, in a brutal Steel Cage showdown. The Rock and Mankind face off in a Last Man Standing Match for the WWE Championship. Kane and Chyna face Triple H and X-Pac and much more.

TV CLASSICS

The Monday Night War – The battle between WWE and WCW rages on throughout the Summer of 1997. RAW highlights include Stone Cold Steve Austin and Shawn Michaels teaming up to challenge Hart Foundation members Owen Hart and the British Bulldog for the WWE Tag Team Championship. The Undertaker takes on Sycho Sid. On WCW Nitro, Hulk Hogan and the nWo target Sting and The “Nature Boy” Ric Flair battles Scott Hall.

The History of ECW – Hosts Tazz and Joey Styles continue to chronicle the Evolution of Extreme. “Hardcore TV” highlights action from February ’96, which includes Brian Pillman’s memorable ECW debut and a long-anticipated showdown between Shane Douglas and Cactus Jack.

World Class Championship Wrestling – Michael Hayes and “Gorgeous” Jimmy Garvin present classic WCCW action from February ’83. The Fabulous Freebirds and the Von Erichs face-off for the very first time in Six-Man Tag Team action. Plus, matches with “Iceman” King Parsons, King Kong Bundy and others.

SHORTIES

Celebrate “Headlocks and Wedlock” on WWE 24/7 with many of sports-entertainment’s most memorable nuptials. Classic wedding ceremonies include the marriages of “Macho Man” Randy Savage and Elizabeth, Uncle Elmer, Billy and Chuck and Edge and Lita. Plus, relive Stephanie McMahon’s trips down the aisle with lucky grooms like The Undertaker and Test.

And the Sunflower Rundown:

WEEK 1 - January 30th - February 5th:

Legends:

Hall of Fame Profile: Don "Magnificent" Muraco

Don Muraco vs. Hulk Hogan

Fuji Vice

Don Muraco vs. Bob Backlund

Big Ones:

Boston Gardens - September 6, 1986: Main evented by Big Machine and Super Machine vs. Big John Studd and King Kong Bundy.

Clash of the Champions - 20th Anniversary showing of the first Clash featuring Sting vs. Ric Flair in the main event as well as a 6 man tag barbed wire match and the Midnight Express vs. The Fantastics and then from there Lex Luger and Barry Windham vs. Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson.

TV Classics:

ECW Hardcore TV - February 18, 1996

Monday Night Wars: WCW Nitro - May 26, 1997 - Nitro returns to 2 hours with main event action involving Jeff Jarrett and Mongo McMichael vs. Harlem Heat.

Monday Night Wars: Raw is War - May 26, 1997 - The King of the Ring continues and Austin & HBK challenge Bulldog and Owen Hart for the tag titles.

WCCW - February 6, 1983

Primetime Wrestling - August 31, 1987: Features Alfred Hayes subbing for Bobby Heenan (boo), feature bout is an elimination match between the teams of Bruno Sammartino, Jake The Snake Roberts, and Tito Santana vs. The Honky Tonk Man & The Hart Foundation.

Shorties:

Billy and Chuck Wedding

Paul Vachon Wedding

Stacy Keibler and David Flair Wedding

Uncle Elmer Wedding

Unholy Wedding (Stephanie / Undertaker).

WEEK 2 - February 6th - February 12th:

Legends:

Ladder Match DVD - Parts 5 & 6

TV Classics:

NWA Wrestling - March 1, 1986

TNT - March 28, 1986

Shorties:

Savage - Elizabeth Wedding (this is possibly a mistake on Sunflower's part)

WEEK 3 - February 13th - February 19th:

Legends:

Muraco vs. Hogan Tag Match

Muraco vs. Jack Brisco

Muaco vs. Snuka

Big Ones:

Valentine's Day Massacre: From 1999, Steve Austin takes on long time rival Vince McMahon in a steel cage match with WrestleMania ramifications on the line. The Rock defends the WWE title against Mankind in a Last Man Standing match and Al Snow and Hardcore Holly go all out in a Hardcore Title bout.

MSG - March 16, 1997: The first (and last) MSG house show broadcast on the MSG network in 5 years features The Undertaker and Vader having a casket match. Owen and Bulldog defend the tag titles against Furnas and Lafon while the IC title is on the line when Hunter Hearst Helmsley challenges Rocky Mavia. Jim Ross and Jim Cornette call the action.

Royal Rumble 2002: Jericho defends the Undisputed Championship against The Rock while 30 men - including a returning Mr. Perfect and Goldust and a gimmick reset return of Val Venis and Godfather - vie for the opportunity to headline WrestleMania 18. (Added on February 14th according to WWE.com).

TV Classics:

Championship Wrestling from Florida - July 28, 1982.

ECW Hardcore TV - February 25, 1996.

Monday Night War: Nitro - June 2, 1997: Ric Flair's war with the nWo continues as he challenges Scott Hall. Also features U.S. Champion Dean Malenko vs. Michael Wallstreet and Chono and Great Muta vs. The Steiner Brothers.

Monday Night War: Raw is War - June 2, 1997: The last Raw before the King of the Ring sees Shawn Michaels and Steve Austin face the Legion of Doom while Sycho Sid takes on The Undertaker. Also features the conclusion to the Mick Foley sit-down interview trilogy.

Primetime Wrestling - September 10, 1987: No details available.

Shorties:

Al Wilson / Dawn Marie wedding.

Edge / Lita wedding.

Savage / Elizabeth wedding (which is why I think the week 2 thing is a mistake... it's not the usual pattern).

Test / Stephanie wedding.

Sister Sherri wedding.

WEEK 4 - February 20th - February 26th:

Legends:

Brian Pillman DVD feature.

Big Ones:

Survivor Series 2007: A big 10 man mixed brand elimination match, Shawn Michaels vs. Randy Orton for the WWE title, and Undertaker vs. Batista for the Heavyweight Title in a Hell in a Cell match round out this big card. 24/7 will (apparently) be offering the show in both entire show format and 7 individual matches split up.

TV Classics:

TNT - April 2, 1986

NWA Wrestling - March 8, 1986

Monday Night War: Raw is War - June 9, 1997: If this is accurate, it looks like 24/7 may begin alternating Raw and Nitro every week. Matches include Sid vs. Owen Hart and RVD vs. Flash Funk.

Just like last February, kind of a weak theme, but I'm happy that Raw and Nitro will be broken up to make picking and choosing a bit easier (and increase the video quality). Not sure if I like the alternating idea that appears to begin at the end of the month though. Looking forward to the Clash.

I wish DirecTV had this channel. I switched from Comcast in October and they didn't have it in my area with Comcast, either. I have been missing out.

I wish DirecTV had this channel. I switched from Comcast in October and they didn't have it in my area with COmcast, either. I have been missing out.

I wish I had this channel, too. Then again, maybe it's a blessing.

Re-watching the Billy and Chuck wedding, it was amusing to see the cast of characters involved when SmackDown became united against Raw's invasion and compare them to today. You have Edge and Rey teaming up to chase away Jamal (now Umaga), Kurt Angle checking on Stephanie with Eddie Guerrero, and ECW, and of course Chuck is an angry biker now. Still amazes me the bang up disguise job they did for Bischoff.

I started watching Clash over my lunch hour at home, caught the first 15 minutes or so. I'm thinking the 3 round/1 count pinfall match with Rotunda/Garvin sounded a lot better on paper than it looked on TV.

and thank god it didn't take them too long to realize Steve Williams does a lot better as a non-talking enforcer-type brute...that promo he cuts was up there in the Kerry Von Erich levels.

The Flair / Keibler wedding is as much of a train wreck as I hoped WCW 2000 would have produced. I also blocked out any memory of Jeremy Borash being part of WCW's announce team, but some wikipedia research says he was even a writer for Nitro (and on the subject of announcers, I did laugh a bit at the graphic "Television's Sexiest Man" for Mark Madden). So, we get Stacy getting a mystery letter, the wedding ceremony happening TWICE, some great "man to man" advice from Arn Anderson that everyone can hear (I did laugh at "it's easier to get permission than forgiveness" though), Ric Flair being treated like crap in the Carolinas, and a Russo swerve ending. Classic bad WCW.

Stacy's dress was great, though.

Yikes, sorry to hear that. I do enjoy Hayes w/ Monsoon and Heenan calling matches but Hayes as a studio pitchman is brutal.

I really hope 24/7 Online doesn't resort to 14 videos out of 20 having to do w/ weddings and rasslin romance.

Lawler's asshole antics are once again awesome on Raw. I got a big laugh out of his promo against Goldust and loved how pro-Lawler the Evansville, Indiana crowd was. McMahon even brings up the Lawler lawsuit for some reason while JR mentions Marlena being a make-up artist at CNN previously. Good stuff.

"I talked to your old man Dusty Rhodes - he doesn't like you because you married the biggest golddiger in all of Georgia, then put on a woman's wig and prance around the ring kissing men like a flaming fag".

Lawler's asshole antics are once again awesome on Raw. I got a big laugh out of his promo against Goldust and loved how pro-Lawler the Evansville, Indiana crowd was. McMahon even brings up the Lawler lawsuit for some reason while JR mentions Marlena being a make-up artist at CNN previously. Good stuff.

"I talked to your old man Dusty Rhodes - he doesn't like you because you married the biggest golddiger in all of Georgia, then put on a woman's wig and prance around the ring kissing men like a flaming fag".

Evansville used to be a USWA/Memphis Territory stronghold, which is why Lawler would always be over in that city.

Guest bp2007

$10 says 24/7 Online recycles that Val Venis special they had on the web 3 years ago for V-Day.

Very excited for their videos actually. If I'm correct the HBK/Marty IC Title match airs on Raw that month.

We also better get a new IC title episode and JR's Pick.

By the way, I didn't add last month how awesome it was they put all those G-TV videos together. That was something I always looked forward to on Raw. I got a kick out of the fact they said "to this date we don't know who was behind them" despite the fact everyone knew it was Goldust!

Eh, there were a couple of other theories that it was someone besides Goldust but I forget now who those others were.

Tom Green was a candidate at one point.

On another topic, I like how they are showing the first Clash of Champions with interview segments in between the matches to touch on the historical significance. I was watching part of it last night, and the MX/Fantastics match is highly entertaining (As usual with these two teams), and the crowd is going nuts throughout it.

Guest Phineas4

Just normally read, but after reading about the Evansville Raw thought I'd say a few things. I had front frow behind the Fink for that show. One of my favorite Raw's ever, but I guess I'm biased. I had been watching Jerry Lawler since 1989 on TV here and people from this area never got Lawler as the heel in the WWF. The pop does not come across well on TV. Lawler was just a shade behind Austin/Shawn winning the tag belts, but watching it again doesn't come across that way like I said. They knew what they were doing because Lawler gave a speech just for us during a break on the Titantron talking in his normal voice about how much he enjoyed being home again.

Hawk and Animal must've had a bet going on who could blow more spots in that opener. Wow.

Interesting to see D-Lo in action. I must've missed this match the first time around, because I wasn't even aware he was a wrestler until the Nation underwent the personal change. I remember wondering why he'd be kept around when almost everyone else got fired, since I didn't think he was anything more than a bodyguard.

March...

MARCH 2008: WRESTLEMANIA

All March on WWE 24/7 On Demand, relive the biggest events, stories and Superstars in WrestleMania history in preparation for this year’s Showcase of the Immortals.

Legends

WWE Hall of Fame: Bret Hart – There can be no denying Bret Hart’s place in sports entertainment history. Relive the career of the “Hitman” from early tag team success with the Hart Foundation to championship reigns and rivalries with Mr. Perfect, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Shawn Michaels, the Dynamite Kid, Ric Flair, The British Bulldog and others. Relive Hart’s emotional return and induction at the 2006 WWE Hall of Fame Ceremony.

The Legends of Wrestling: WrestleMania – WWE 24/7 brings a cast of ring Legends together to discuss the history and controversy surrounding sports entertainment’s marquis event. The no-holds-barred round table discussion focuses on WrestleMania’s origins, highlights and behind-the-scenes battles.

The Big Ones

WrestleMania – Relive the excitement of three (3) great WrestleMania spectaculars:

WrestleMania 2: Jump around the country as the action emanates from three (3) different venues. Huge matches include Hulk Hogan defending the WWE Championship in a Steel Cage showdown with King Kong Bundy.

WrestleMania IX: The first WrestleMania to be held outdoors features Yokozuna challenging “Hitman” Bret Hart for the WWE Championship.

WrestleMania X8: WrestleMania heads to SkyDome in Toronto for an unforgettable Icon versus Icon clash between The Rock and Hollywood Hogan. Plus, Triple H battles Chris Jericho for the Undisputed Championship and Stone Cold Steve Austin faces Scott Hall of the nWo.

Old School – Three (3) rarely-seen cards with each featuring Championship action. Highlights include a Houston, Texas showdown with Hulk Hogan defending the WWE Championship against “Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase. From Madison Square Garden 1986, “Macho Man” Randy Savage defends the Intercontinental title against former champion Tito Santana. And we go back to NYC, 1977, to see Bruno Sammartino battle Superstar Billy Graham for the WWE Championship.

TV Classics

Raw – March 11, 2002 – Less than a week before WrestleMania X8, the excitement and action builds on Raw. It’s a dream pairing as Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock team up to battle the threesome of Hollywood Hogan, Kevin Nash and Scott Hall, better known as the nWo. Plus, the rivalry between Triple H and Chris Jericho reaches its boiling point as they head towards their WrestleMania clash.

Saturday Night’s Main Event (3/1/86) – WWE’s ‘80s network phenomenon features matches and action with enormous WrestleMania 2 implications. Hulk Hogan defends the WWE Championship against Don Muraco, Mr. T faces Cowboy Bob Orton in a Boxing Match and much more.

History of ECW – Tazz and Joey Styles chronicle the Evolution of Extreme with two (2) episodes of “Hardcore TV”. Highlights include Chris Jericho’s ECW ring debut against Cactus Jack and 2 Cold Scorpio battles Sabu for the ECW TV title.

Shorties

CM Punk presents WrestleMania’s Lost Classics as the Straightedge Superstar brings you memorable WrestleMania battles that are often overshadowed by the main events. Matches featuring The Undertaker, Triple H, John Cena, Shawn Michaels, “Macho Man” Randy Savage, Edge, Jeff Hardy, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Randy Orton and more of the WWE’s top Superstars.

Sounds good to me. I've seen all the WrestleMania's on there and have two of them, but I'm still interested in what's there. The PYBO choices are WM IV, WM VIII, and WM 13. I picked WM 8, but as long as WM 13 doesn't win, it's good. The PYBO winner from Rumbles 90, 97, and 02 will be up tomorrow.

WM2 and 9 are just awful, but that goes without saying.

Is that SNME the one where Bundy splashes the shit out of Hogan numerous times? I remember being all worried and shit when I was a kid.

X8 > 11, so I can't totally agree with the lackluster comment (plus Hogan vs. Rock!) but as I said last year, I'm not a fan of the Shorties ans Big Ones in March because it's too much Mania for someone who owns them all anyway.

That said, I was at that Raw from 2002 so hooray! I seem to recall it not being well reviewed at the time (and now I'm remembering why - multiple boardroom scenes) but I had a blast at the time and enjoyed the Rock/Austin vs nWo match (it was fun going nuts for Hogan live).

Hawk and Animal must've had a bet going on who could blow more spots in that opener. Wow.

Interesting to see D-Lo in action. I must've missed this match the first time around, because I wasn't even aware he was a wrestler until the Nation underwent the personal change. I remember wondering why he'd be kept around when almost everyone else got fired, since I didn't think he was anything more than a bodyguard.

I'm also thinking I somehow only saw half of this Raw (or perhaps none of it) on TSN back in the day - maybe it was edited down to 90 minutes because of a curling tournament? - because things like the Foley interviews I remember well (especially part 3 on the next episode) but things like LOD vs HBK/Austin I don't remember at all. It was also a bit curious to me that they never mentioned that the D-Lo match was his in ring debut, let alone his in ring debut on Raw, so I wonder if he was doing Shotgun's around this time.

I like WM IV as well, but it was really the first WM that I remember as a fan so I am fond of it. And WM VIII has some really good stuff on it. WM XIII though? Bleh. Check out Bret/Austin somewhere else and don't worry about it.

I think WM VIII will win the voting in a runaway.

I'm guessing they're doing WM IX since it's the only other outdoor Wrestlemania. Still, I think it's kind of funny that they're doing a Bret Hart section in the "Hall of Fame" category, yet they're showing the Wrestlemania where Bret basically got crapped on at the end.

Wrestlemania II and IX aren't so much awful as they are just uneventful. There aren't any standout matches on either card. The pair of universally praised tag matches on WM II are good, but are only worth noting in relation to the mediocrity that was the rest of the show.

As for WM X8, I watched it on PPV and honestly have trouble remembering much more than the crowd being DEAD for the main, Hogan and Rock's overpraised match, and WWF thinking it was a good idea to tell the story of its biggest angles set to Drowning Pool songs.

I'm disappointed in the three Wrestlemanias they'll show. 2 (uh-oh) and 9 are bad and 18 is average at best. The only thing they could have done worse is adding 15 instead of 18 for completing the trifecta of suck. I think the Raw from 2002 is the only time Austin and Hogan have been in the ring together, so there a bit of historical footage.

The Savage wedding will be in the next update I guess....no huge pink hat with feathers this week. :(