TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MrRant

Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Kahn

Guest MrRant

This grows out of the Top 10 Sci Fi movie thread. I had put Star Trek 2 as one of my top 10 and I was suprised (and happy) to see that so many people also put it in their lists. This is what brings me to my question:

Is Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Kahn an underrated sci-fi film?

I would say yes because there is great emotion conveyed throughout the movie. You can feel the hate between Kirk and Kahn and the space battle at the end is full of tension. Ricardo does a great job in his role as do others. The end with Spock to me is very touching as well. Could the fact that the movie is underated be because of Star Trek bias?

Your opinons please.

Guest Kagato Otaku

Not at all.

I've seen plenty of lists that name Wrath of Khan as the best Trek film and one of the very best sequels made. I'd expect a "Most Overrated" post than this one.

Guest MrRant

I don't deny the Best Trek film as I think Kahn and First Contact were the best two so far as Nemesis looks very, very good.

I however have never seen very many lists that would like Wrath Of Kahn as one of the top sci-fi flicks ever made.

I am just curious but do you find Kahn to be over-rated?

Guest Kagato Otaku

No. I'm just surprised you haven't found too many places giving Trek 2 proper credit for likely being the best thing to come out of the franchise. I'd of expected to see a backlash post before one worried that Khan was underappreciated.

Guest MrRant

My point was of it being under-rated as a sci-fi film not so much as a Star Trek one. I've found plenty giving it credit as the best out of the franchise but I meant in sci-fi as a whole.

Guest Kotzenjunge

I dunno, I think it being part of the Star Trek series hurts it in the eyes of the people who make these lists, as when you think of Star Trek films you tend to think of all of them at once. Same with the Star Wars movies, but there are much fewer of those in the minds of these critics, who aren't considering the prequel trilogy for any kind of great honors until they produce anything close to Empire.

But to answer your question, it is the best Star Trek movie(with The Voyage Home and Generations actually being my favorites), and it is underrated as a great Sci-Fi movie.

Fo sheez,

Kotzenjunge

Guest Smark Hammill

It's not underrated, as it is generally viewed as the best Trek movie. As a Sci-Fi movie overall, I can't even say it's underrated because I've seen a lot of critics put it as a top 10-15 sci fi flick of all time.

Guest DrTom

I've seen it show up in a lot of discussions about good sci-fi films. The Star Trek franchise probably has a certain stigma attached to it, but if it does, The Wrath of Khan has been able to escape from that.

First Contact is also quite good, but I think the most underrated movie in the franchise is The Undiscovered Country.

Guest C.H.U.D.

I agree that The Wrath of Khan is a great Star Trek & sci-fi film, but being a "Star Trek sequel" hurts it's ability to be seen only as a sci-fi film.

Either way, it's a great film and most people agree, no matter what context they view it in.