TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

Thread Nog

Egg Nog has to be one of the worst holiday drinks next to the Jones packs

I havent been able to find the Jones Soda this year unfortunately. Usually the Target here has them and then I wait til after Thanksgiving when they're still sitting there and get em for at least 50% off.

I dont know that Id pay full price for em though, its not like they are the greatest thing ever..its just..weird flavored soda.

I was thinking of making my own eggnog. I even found a Good Eats episode featuring it. Unfortunately, after watching it, it made me remember that I am truly a lazy bastard and that Alton Brown is apparently not. Store bought it is.

Guest Vitamin X

As much as I love Good Eats, there are so many things I don't agree with Alton Brown on in terms of taking the money, time and effort to do. I love making his version of Mac and Cheese, but find it ridiculous to have to buy and grate nearly a pound of cheddar every time I want to make it.

Guest Czecherbear
Im going to assume that when people mention egg nog its that shit that comes in cartons at the grocery store and not the real stuff made with Bourbon?

I thought you use brandy, and don't call it shit.

I've never understood that. I mean a thing of eggnog is at most $4. Why drink something you obviously didn't like just because you paid for it?

I've never understood either. If you don't like something, how is consuming it less of a waste than dumping it out? Either way, it's gone - One way you didn't put yourself through hell, the other way you did. The only way to not waste it would be to give it to somebody who can enjoy it.

Im going to assume that when people mention egg nog its that shit that comes in cartons at the grocery store and not the real stuff made with Bourbon?

I thought you use brandy, and don't call it shit.

As mentioned above, my favorite Egg Nog is Alton Brown's version from the Good Eats episode School of Hard Nogs, where he uses Bourbon. You can use brandy or even rum as well..but..its better with Bourbon. I almost actually prefer his cooked version to the regular because its thicker like a really thick milkshake, but its more trouble to go to for that as you have to cook the egg yolks like a custard which a bitch sometimes. Ive never tried turning the custard base into ice cream either.

And the prepackaged flavored milk Egg Nogs you get at the store are horrible. Nothing like real egg nog at all.