TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

Hurricane Katrina

Well New Orleans is expected to take a near direct hit from this Category 5 hurricane. Storm surge is expected to be 28 ft.

The thing to remember is that much of New Orleans is actually below sea-level. This storm is going to beat the hell of that city. Only 3 cat 5 hurricanes have hit the US the last being Andew in the 90's.

If you are in New Orleans and reading this what is your problem? Get the hell out of there!

What I don't understand is that the main shelter for people is the Superdome. Didn't the Saints want to move out of there because the building was old and falling apart? That wouldn't be the first place I would stick people if that was the case.

A friend of mine is a disaster director for the american red cross. They called him last night while he was on vacation and told him to keep his bag packed when he got home today because he was leaving for NO early this week.

What I don't understand is that the main shelter for people is the Superdome.  Didn't the Saints want to move out of there because the building was old and falling apart?  That wouldn't be the first place I would stick people if that was the case.

I would just decide to get the heck out of Dodge and head for Oklahoma or Kansas. The Superdome is going to get rocked and no longer be so super.

It it times like this that I enjoy living in North Dakota. Never have to worry about Hurricanes and crap. Sure we get some cold weather every once in a while but it beats having your possessions destroyed every couple of years.

Guest *KNK*
It it times like this that I enjoy living in North Dakota.  Never have to worry about Hurricanes and crap.  Sure we get some cold weather every once in a while but it beats having your possessions destroyed every couple of years.

It's North Datoka...

I would surf in a hurricane before I live in North Datoka.

God has his way of fucking with every part of the country.

In California, its earthquakes.

In the northwest, its constant rain.

In the north, its blankets of snow.

In the midwest, its tornados.

What I don't understand is that the main shelter for people is the Superdome.  Didn't the Saints want to move out of there because the building was old and falling apart?  That wouldn't be the first place I would stick people if that was the case.

They're only accepting people with medical problems who need assistance. If you're just a guy in town they'll turn you away and you're fucked.

I wasn't aware that God controlled weather...

God is the Ultimate Terrorist.

Anyway..

This whole thing is pretty freaky, considering that FX fake documentry Oil Storm had a Category 5 Hurricane hitting New Orleans the weekend after labor day 2005, knocking out several oil refineries and the offshore pipeline. Oil prices ended up going over $70 a barrel, leading to gas prices over $4 a gallon just about overnight. Eventually, a bunch of other stuff happened (terrorists take US citizens hostage in Saudi Arabia, they blow up several oil plants over in the middle east, a Tanker explodes in Houston, etc..)..

Well...

Crude oil futures (CLc1) on the New York Mercantile Exchange (NYMEX) surged as high as $70.80 a barrel, up $4.67 a barrel, as traders feared lasting damage could further strain an industry that has struggled to keep up with demand for two years.

I think whoever was behind Oil Storm should be wondering if they have ESP or something..

Watch for gas prices to go up again too. They said of the 5000 oil rigs in the Gulf, Katrina's going to go over about half of them. Many of them weren't reinforced apparently they had just enough time to get the men and the beer off and get the hell out of there.

I wasn't aware that God controlled weather...

God is the Ultimate Terrorist.

Anyway..

This whole thing is pretty freaky, considering that FX fake documentry Oil Storm had a Category 5 Hurricane hitting New Orleans the weekend after labor day 2005, knocking out several oil refineries and the offshore pipeline. Oil prices ended up going over $70 a barrel, leading to gas prices over $4 a gallon just about overnight. Eventually, a bunch of other stuff happened (terrorists take US citizens hostage in Saudi Arabia, they blow up several oil plants over in the middle east, a Tanker explodes in Houston, etc..)..

Well...

Crude oil futures (CLc1) on the New York Mercantile Exchange (NYMEX) surged as high as $70.80 a barrel, up $4.67 a barrel, as traders feared lasting damage could further strain an industry that has struggled to keep up with demand for two years.

I think whoever was behind Oil Storm should be wondering if they have ESP or something..

Frankly, a lot of the events in Oil Storm aren't exactly unlikely... The *timing* of all those events, though, is.

(For example, a *LOT* of Category 3 and 4 storms have been heading straight for New Orleans since 1998 only to take a last-second turn and/or lose a lot of power right at landfall)

hurricane01.jpg

And there is the most unpopular wrestler in the south right now...

This thing looks to be quite the storm. We have a tropical storm watch where I live... I LIVE IN WEST TENNESSEE FOR GOD SAKES.

And this thing doesn't look like it's gonna lose a lot of power fast. This looks to be the Andrew or Camile of our generation.

hurricane01.jpg

And there is the most unpopular wrestler in the south right now...

This thing looks to be quite the storm.  We have a tropical storm watch where I live... I LIVE IN WEST TENNESSEE FOR GOD SAKES.

And this thing doesn't look like it's gonna lose a lot of power fast.  This looks to be the Andrew or Camile of our generation.

Sat through Andrew, cleaned up afterwards, got the T-shirt.

This motherfucker, barring a major change soon, is going to make the Louisiana damage done by Andrew look like a nice Summer shower.

The big question is going to be whether the Worst Case Scenario everyone had been thinking of for New Orleans over the past 40 years comes to pass and, if so, how long it takes for them to recover.

Guest *KNK*

I still hate how Hurricane's have names like Andrew and Katrina.

Hurricane's are supposed to be scary, who fears Katrina?

My high school sweetheart's name was Katrina (almost got married, but she cheated on me), so all of this can't help but make me think of her. They also seem to have a lot in common, seeing how they both continue to gain mass.

Reminds me of an old joke...

"Why are storms named after women?

Because, once they're gone, they've taken your house, your money, your car, and your dog."

Guest Vitamin X
I hate to sound assholish, but it's about time one of these storms missed us.

Good luck New Orleans people.

I could've sworn that Katrina passed right over Ft. Myers as well, but then I remembered that it went south after it made landfall in Ft. Lauderdale.. and the eye actually went RIGHT over my neighborhood, so I already felt Katrina's wrath here in West Miami (most of the pictures and video of people cleaning up after the storm in South Florida are around my neighborhood- which is a bit freaky since we made it through last year's hurricane barrage completely unscatched, maybe a few snapped branches here and there).

Weird is how it actually got STRONGER after making landfall, Katrina was just barely a hurricane when it made landfall and only got stronger and stronger.. by the time the eye came through my neighborhood, it was kicking up to 90+MPH, almost a Category 2, I never could have imagined it would have grown so big and powerful...

spec_trop7_277x187.jpg

Our little Katrina's all grown up!

If, God forbid IF, something was to happen to the Super Dome, not only would it be horrible just because of how many people could be killed, but it could also hurt other aspects of our country. While watching TV today, I saw mostly white athorities getting all of the people to go in there, and the vast majority of them were African American. I'm sure there are people out there who would take issue with that, and try to make something of it which most certainly isn't the case.

I found it amusing that they kept saying that winds could be 160+ in the area, then went on to make the point that people shouldn't worry because the dome was tested to be able to take 130 winds.

I was listening to some radio show on AM last night, and they said that there was a movie on Sci-Fi that aired in July, or somewhere back then fairly recently, and the first part of it was about a hurricane that hit the same area as this one, causing the price of oil to hit $70+...and then went on to show other horrible things happening.

Did any of you catch that?

New Orleans is gonna be DEVASTATED by this storm. I guess after ALL THE SINNING there, this is God's revenge.

But seriously, enough jokes about this. The flooding is gonna DESTROY everything in sight. Also, those gas prices are gonna go UP even further. Remember Hurricane Ivan's effects on gas prices? Those effects haven't worn off. Here in NJ, gas is around the 2.70-2.90 a gallon, and I heard on a random news segment on MSNBC that gas prices could go up to 4.00 a gallon....

I watched that video report on the Worse Case Scenario...wow...it really was a downer...

If the floodwaters are high, it would take up to 6 months to fully drain New Orleans. Then, they would have to re-evaluate the buildings structures, since they would have been sitting in water so long....

New Orleans is gonna be DEVASTATED by this storm. I guess after ALL THE SINNING there, this is God's revenge.

But seriously, enough jokes about this. The flooding is gonna DESTROY everything in sight. Also, those gas prices are gonna go UP even further. Remember Hurricane Ivan's effects on gas prices? Those effects haven't worn off. Here in NJ, gas is around the 2.70-2.90 a gallon, and I heard on a random news segment on MSNBC that gas prices could go up to 4.00 a gallon....

It depends what plants are shut down and for how long, and how many wells are wiped out.

http://www.lmoga.com/reflist.htm

Most of the refinery capacity is in Baton Rouge / Port Allen (in West Baton Rouge Parish) and Lake Charles.

The only directly affected refineries are in Meraux and Chalmette, both in St. Bernard Parish, which is southeast of New Orleans and will probably get hit hard.

I'm not positive but I think that Garyville, Convent, and Norco are in the corridor between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, towards La Place, and are not going to be hit as hard as New Orleans will.

The bigger damage will be the loss of domestic oil from the platforms in the Gulf that couldn't be dismantled in time.

Considering that New Orleans would be the logical jump-off point for any operations to fix those platforms, that might be a major concern for any operation to get them up and running again.