TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest rawmvp

Smackdown rating for Friday Oct. 14

Gee, maybe the Junior Division will save it.

What is WWE gonna do if it gets canceled? I SO hopes it happens so I can just laugh away.

Guest MikeSC

Cancellation of the best wrestling show on TV is something to be happy about?

Oh well.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Meltz said 2 weeks ago SD! got a huge initial rating cause the people who tabulated the ratings didn't take the NY and other baseball markets out of the figure

This shouldn't come as a surprise given the horrible timeslot.

Does anyone know a ballpark figure on what ECW got ratings wise back in the days on TNN?

A 2.4 isn't too bad for UPN, but when you consider that UPN wants to get rid of Smackdown, things aren't looking good.

Ironically enough, UPN's Thursday night line-up this week scored an average rating of... You guessed it, a 2.4.

Guest MikeSC

Why they never tried "Everybody Loves Chris" and SD on the same night is a little baffling. At least have ONE night with a good overall rating.

Do they have a backup plan incase Smackdown gets canceled? Like with USA offering a time slot for it? Maybe that will mean the end of the brand split....

But I can only dream.

Guest MikeSC

What is with this desire to end the brand split? So the number of underutilized guys you never see on TV doubles?

Why not just split RAW into two one-hour shows, one for RAW, one for SD?

Guest *KNK*
Why they never tried "Everybody Loves Chris" and SD on the same night is a little baffling. At least have ONE night with a good overall rating.

Chris Rock would've thrown a fit being paired with Wrestling. UPN execs would assume that they have completely different markets that don't mesh together.

Guest MikeSC

Better 2 different markets than only one. It's clear that the shows around his show don't do shit ratings-wise.

Once they announced this Friday move I knew the nails were in the coffin and next year will be the dirt being shovelled. I can't say I really want Smackdown to be cancelled since it's actually been better than Raw if you compare the moves (SD to Friday, Raw to USA). Smackdown is a nice oasis of McMahon free WWE TV and it has a credible world champion (Batista), some great veterans like Eddie, Benoit, Booker, and some promising up and comers (Kennedy, Lashley).

The show's only serious weakness is a lack of decent heels.

But a 2.4 average on a night filled with non-wrestling programming is about 1,000,000,000,000,000 times more valuable to a network. As wrestling fans are all inbred hicks who have little disposable income, either that or they are shut-ins, cast off from society, vagrants of the societal gene pool.

Guest Brian

Someone who knows more about marketing needs to explain this for me:

Does the reason wrestling draws bad ad-rates based on the audience, or is it based on the fact that like USA found out with their after-show programming, that it is hard to get a hold of wrestling fans for anything other than wrestling?

Guest TroughOfMantaur

Starting next September, a brand consolidated RAW going up against a two hour Impact woud do my heart good. I wouldn't be surprised if the former happens, but I'm not betting on the latter.

But a 2.4 average on a night filled with non-wrestling programming is about 1,000,000,000,000,000 times more valuable to a network.  As wrestling fans are all inbred hicks who have little disposable income, either that or they are shut-ins, cast off from society, vagrants of the societal gene pool.

Black sitcoms come right before Smackdown in regards to lowest ad rates

This is Smackdowns last year on UPN regardless, that was basically announced well before the friday move was, the contract is up after this year, and UPN has stated that there's not much interest in renewing it, and even fi they DID renew it, it would be for considerably less then what WWE would be willing to take. I don't think WWE will have much of a problem finding another network to run Smackdown, they've had on and off negotiations with FOX for years regarding various projects, and even if that doesn't work, I'm sure they'd get something from USA.

What is with this desire to end the brand split? So the number of underutilized guys you never see on TV doubles?

Why not just split RAW into two one-hour shows, one for RAW, one for SD?

The only hope I would hold out for is it would slow down the bringing up of green machines who have no business in the ring like Masters, Carlito, Snitsky, Heidenreich, Boogeyman, etc, etc, etc.

Then again, their gonna put whoever they want on TV, regardless of of how much TV time is available.

You are probrably onto something to where they would just do one hour Raw, one hour SD if SD were to get canned. I'd like to think Vince and Co. have a contingency plan in place if this was to occur.

Guest MikeSC

You remove RAW and *poof* you don't see Christian on TV.

Rey? Not too often.

MNM? Nope.

Benoit? Yeah, right. Hold on to that one.

The harm this will cause far outweighs any perceived positives.

There are just too many things that screw up SD!'s mommentum...Teddy Long, Michael Cole and who ever thought of the "Dominic" angle need to fucking go...end of story....SD! has just as good of a roster(even better in terms of workrate IMO) so it remains a mystery why it can't do better...but I've a feeling that if you switched the two shows(SD! to Monday, RAW to Friday) and left them exactly as they are now they would still pull the same ratings for those respective nights(maybe Friday gets a little better)....but mark mt words the Juniors division is gong to kill that show dead....

Chris Rock would've thrown a fit being paired with Wrestling. UPN execs would assume that they have completely different markets that don't mesh together.

And you know this "fit throwing" how??

has Rock spoken out against wrestling in the past?

or has he been on TNA and actually used their Nashville set and talent while filming Head of State??

so why would he "throw a fit"? he's a comedian not a shakespearean actor who'd be "insulted"