TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Czech please!

"The Abandoned Hospital Ship"

Guest Czech please!

is my favorite Flaming Lips song. It makes me feel like I'm floating away on a cloud while watching home movies.

What's yours?

Given all the times in the past I've gone on about how much I can't stand the cartoon characters they've become, which, in turn, makes me a little sad because they were one of the first bands I felt passionately about back when I was getting into "good" music, my absolute favorite Flaming Lips song, "Waitin' for a Superman," is one that, much like a lot of The Soft Bulletin, points in the direction they've gone over the last decade. The current incarnation of the Lips has done a lot to turn me off that album, being that everything they've done since has been a shinier and more polished reworking of that particular record. I mean, fucking "Do You Realize" is Air Supply.

Guest Czech please!

I think the order I got into the Lips was Clouds Taste Metallic and Soft Bulletin before doubling back for Hit to Death.. and Transmissions..., so I don't really have any sentimental attachment to the earlier style like you do, but I share your disdain for the more recent stuff. I thought I liked Yoshimi but I got sick of everything but the title track and "All We Have Is Now" about a month in.

Say, "Placebo Headwound" is really awesome too. I'm glad I demothballed this album today.

I wish they'd done a few more albums that sounded more like In A Priest Driven Ambulance. I like the way that album is skewed just enough towards listenability that it avoids being annoying and becomes awesome and transcendent. Thin line.

It might be time to try The Soft Bulletin again. I'd have to find it, though; it's not on my computer nor my iPod. I still have the CD, but most of my CDs are in boxes. Maybe a project for tonight.

This thread did inspire me to listen to Clouds Taste Metallic, which is on my iPod. First Lips album I ever bought (I was around when "She Don't Use Jelly" was a hit, but I was still a little too wrapped up in grunge for it to connect) so it has some nostalgia value. Even without it, CTM is just a really fun record.

I'm only familiar with Yoshimi, the opening track as my favorite of that album. I should hear another album by the Lips. Which one do you gents suggest that album should be?

One time I was walking home and it started to rain, so I sat under a tree, and it was by this like, pond, but I live in Florida so it was still sunny out, and as such a rainbow appeared. "Yoshimii Battles the Pink Robots" came on my iPod as I watched this rainbow arc over a pond. It was pretty cool.

Anyway, my favorite is She Don't Use Jelly. Is that cliche? I'm not sure I really care, that's definitely my fave.

Has anyone seen Christmas On Mars yet? My copy just recently came in the mail, but I've yet to watch.

I got a copy from Netflix, which I ripped, but I made a pact with at least one good friend a half a decade ago (no exaggeration whatsover) that we would see it together, so I am going to sit on it until the next time I go back home.

i think yoshimi might be in my top 5 albums of this decade. who cares if do you realize sounds like fucking air supply. its a great song. if a little over-sentimental and corny.