Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Energy Drinks
TSM Forums > Pop Culture > Food Folder
Pages: 1, 2
Nighthawk
I drink them, but the market is too saturated, I can't pick one. Give me input on which you think is best.
FromBeyondTheGrave
RedBull is my favorite. RockStarr and Monster are also good.
Dangerous A
All the carbonated ones suck. I end up growing immune to them.

Go with espresso. Get a shot of espresso with a regular cup of coffee to back it and you'll be flying. It's my drug of choice.
Nighthawk
Hm... you may have something there.
Precious Roy
red bull is good, so is the mt. dew one, but they all have pretty much the same ingredients so just go for the cheapest one that tastes good to you and mixes well with vodka

I like a shot of espresso in my coffee, but starbucks also markets energy drink style cold espresso shit which is decent, it's pretty expensive though
Nighthawk
I don't like Red Bull, myself. They give it away free all the time at school, so I'll drink them, but they taste like thinned out cough syrup.
Fartsauce
Sobe Red Rave.
Matt Young
Red Bull is gross.

Rockstar energy drinks are pretty decent.
Hank Kingsley
Yeah, the Starbucks espresso & cream Doubleshot is where it's at.
The Amazing Rando
Mt. Dew Amp. That stuff is wonderful.
Edwin MacPhisto
I had a sip of Budweiser's idiot beer/energy drink hybrid, B to the E (seriously) this weekend. You probably shouldn't pick that one.

I've had a Doubleshot here and there, once during a rare all-nighter. They work, but if you're not going to be asleep three hours after taking one, your stomach is going to feel like you just had a back-alley abortion in there.
Zack Malibu
Arizona Energy. Non-carbonated, citrusy...you'd think you were drinking OJ. I live on the stuff.
tekcop
Man, I'm all about Amps. I've tried everything I can get my hands on, and they've all mostly sucked. Full Throttle is good, YJ Stinger is bad, Red Bull is good, Pimpjuice is bad, Monster is bad, No Fear is okish, so... yeah. Amp and Full Throttle is what I normally drink.
MrRant
They all hurt my teeth. Well, the ones like Full Throttle anyways.
Matt Young
Are there any energy drinks with no calories or low calories? If not, I'll stick with Splenda sweetened coffee and diet soda.
tekcop
How many calories do those sugar free Rud Bulls and No Fears and stuff have?
Styles
At the grocery store they sell Rockstar and Full Throttle (by Coke) which are 16 oz drinks for the same price (2 bucks) as the 8 ounce Red Bull or Mountain Due. So I usually go with one of those. But, I recently bought a case of Red Bull at Costco since that was the only one they had, so I'm stocked with those.
Nighthawk
Sugar Free Red Bull is low calorie. I'm also, by the way, high on 180, which is very orange sodaish.

I would drink Crunk Juice, for the image alone, but I can't find it anywhere.
Vitamin X
I personally love 180, the Mt. Dew one, Red Bull, and *corporate shill* the Starbucks Doubleshot. What Dangerous A described up there is typically called a "blackeye" or "redeye" at Starbucks, depending on how many espresso shots you get in a cup of coffee. Since a shot of espresso is pretty sweet as is, if you really want meth-style coffee, best way to go is to get a double-shot of espresso with about 6 brown sugars or so (or splenda if you prefer to go low-cal) in a tall or grande cup. Obviously, the larger the coffee you go, the less energy it'll have.

Cubans have these super-sugar espresso variations called coladas and cortaditos, also. More info here.
MarvinisaLunatic
MDX

Theres a sugar free version too.
Dangerous A
Not sure if they stopped making the Ginseng Sobe or not. I remember flying after taking down some of those. They didn't taste too bad either.
MarvinisaLunatic
QUOTE(MarvinisaLunatic @ Oct 20 2005, 10:05 PM) *
MDX

Theres a sugar free version too.

I tried some of the Sugar Free MDX today at work (looking for an energy boost towards the end of a 13 1/2 hour shift) and I couldn't honestly say I felt any extra energy. $1.49 for 14.1 oz, Id rather buy a Powerbar for that (they've always worked for me at work).

It wasn't bad tasting, I just dont think its much of an energy drink..
snuffbox
Six inches of yay-o and a bottle of water.
Mole
Amp is the best. Red Bull makes me feel all tweaked out.
Robert
The regular Mt. Dew MDX stuff is what I drink, with some No Fear while working regular days. It works for a guy who gets around six hours of sleep.

When I'm working very long days like this week (6:00 AM to 8:PM, 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM, and 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM.) If there's any chance of working late, I'll take it. I'll be running off a large 64 oz. gimmicked mug from my local Speed Way. Most of the time, It'll mostly be Mt. Dew or coffee.
The Czech Republic
The time I drank two Mountain Dew Amps and washed them down with a Code Red is as close as I've ever been to an altered state of consciousness. I just remember running. A LOT. Around my neighborhood and my house. Then I watched the Sklars do stand-up and it was at the time the funniest thing I had ever seen in my life. I passed out for like twelve hours at the conclusion of it all. I've never touched one since.
haws bah gawd
Vault Zero, Diet Rockstar, Diet Red Bull, and Diet No Fear work pretty well on me.
Nighthawk
QUOTE(The Czech Republic @ Jan 23 2006, 02:01 AM) *
The time I drank two Mountain Dew Amps and washed them down with a Code Red is as close as I've ever been to an altered state of consciousness. I just remember running. A LOT. Around my neighborhood and my house. Then I watched the Sklars do stand-up and it was at the time the funniest thing I had ever seen in my life. I passed out for like twelve hours at the conclusion of it all. I've never touched one since.

Pretty low tolerance you've got there. I'd guess you don't drink coffee either. I mean, actual speed doesn't freak me out as much as that.
The Czech Republic
No, I don't drink coffee. I'm a tea drinker, which only has a fraction of the caffeine. I imagine I have a low tolerance for EVERYTHING
Vitamin X
Black tea has just as much, if not more, caffeine than any kind of coffee. Green Tea is comparable in caffeine amount to coke as well.
Agent of Oblivion
I remember one finals week when I was in college where I ended up sleeping about 10 hours the entire week. To retain sentience, I scoured my floor for a pick me up, and the resident musclehead gave me a couple of these GNC Ripped Fuel caplets. I woke up my deep-sleeping roommate with pencil drumming.
The Czech Republic
Double espresso (2oz) 45-100 mg
Brewed coffee (8 oz) 60-120 mg
Instant coffee (8 oz) 70 mg
Decaf coffee (8 oz) 1-5 mg
Tea - black (8 oz) 45 mg
Tea - green (8 oz) 20 mg
Tea - white (8 oz) 15 mg
Coca Cola (12 oz can) 34 mg
Vitamin X
Depends on what kind of tea. Chai tea has as much caffeine as an espresso.
MarvinisaLunatic
Someone has to tell me what the point is of Vault btw.

Its pretty much just..Mountain Dew. I dont see anything on the ingredients list besides Caffiene that would make it an energy drink.

I got more out of the MDX although Vault is selling for 60 cents a bottle around here..
FromBeyondTheGrave
QUOTE(MarvinisaLunatic @ Feb 13 2006, 04:31 AM) *

Coke making a Mountain Dew-like product, to make money.
Darthtiki
I still want to try YJ Stinger, which being a load of the usual energy stuff also gives you the power to control bees.
FromBeyondTheGrave
I tried Vault Zero, the diet version...I like it more than regular Mountain Dew.
gWIL
I'm not picky. Over the summer I was drinking 6 16oz Monster Energy drinks a day and when I had the cash around 10 Red Bull a day. I worded that badly not together, sometimes I would drink Monster, sometimes Red Bull. I also found sleep to be overrated. Pricey habit.
Red Bull is good for taste, but when I'm low on funds I go with Monster. MDX is good, Vault tastes good. I've pretty much tried them all and the only ones I dislike are the No Fear ones. Red Bull is my favorite.

Edit: FromBeyondtheGrave, That has so got to be against the rules.
ChikoDemono
Has anyone here tried the Von Dutch energy drink? 'Tis my favorite and accessible, considering it is sold in the Subway across from my dorm for $1.99 a can. A tad expensive, but that's usually the price for an energy drink, right?

I usually get one every night to help me fall asleep, as most, if not all energy drinks tend to do to me.
MarvinisaLunatic
QUOTE(FromBeyondTheGrave @ Feb 12 2006, 11:48 PM) *

But, its just caffiene. If they wanna call that an energy drink then Pepsi should be considered an Energy drink..
King Kamala
Vault is literally Surge put into a snazzy new bottle. I bet Coke had a whole warehouse filled with Surge and decided they had to find a way to sell it off. But they couldn't trick me. YOU HEAR ME COKE? YOU CAN'T TRICK ME! I'M UP ON YOUR SCHEMES!
Vitamin X
Wait a minute, it is? Does it taste nearly as good?
Star Ocean 3
Vault has managed to fill the empty void caused by the absence of Surge.
FromBeyondTheGrave
QUOTE(MarvinisaLunatic @ Feb 19 2006, 06:57 AM) *
QUOTE(FromBeyondTheGrave @ Feb 12 2006, 11:48 PM) *
But, its just caffiene. If they wanna call that an energy drink then Pepsi should be considered an Energy drink..

I don't know, I drank a liter of it and woke up twelve hours later with no pants on. It's good stuff.
King Kamala
QUOTE(Vitamin X @ Feb 21 2006, 01:29 AM) *
Wait a minute, it is? Does it taste nearly as good?

Yeah, it's pretty much the same exact drink. I say after trying it a few time, it's a bit more sour, but I've heard from a few people that it's the same exact drink.
Man Who Sold The World
Stay... the fuck... away from SoBe Superman. Shit is gross man. Gross.
vivalaultra
Vault is quite possibly the greatest soda to come along in many years. It is, essentially, Surge V.2, which is great. All they need now is a commercial with a bunch of kids walking around and one guy in the middle yelling out "VAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!". God, how I missed Surge. When I was in 7th grade, when it was first coming out, they had a whole presentation where they gave away free samples of Surge. A whole gymnasium full of 13 year olds hopped up on sugar...those were the days.

As far as other energy drinks, the only one I really enjoy is Monster. And Coke Blaq.
Molotov The Bear
The one time I've ever drank an energy drink (Full Throttle) was when i was stocking for fry's for a summer thing one day. I wanted to die a few hours later. So I havent touched one since.
Vitamin X
You know, in retrospect, I tried drinking Vault and it really isn't all that Surge-y. Vault has a much more noticeable lime taste, while Surge had more of an orange citrus taste.

Maybe it's because I'm drinking them from the plastic bottles though, instead of at the fountain like I was used to drinking Surge.
Smartly Pretty
Are there any energy drinks with no calories or low calories? If not, I'll stick with Splenda sweetened coffee and diet soda.

Calories = energy. Let's hope not.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.