Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oasis: clutching to relevance till their knuckles turn white
TSM Forums > Pop Culture > Music
Pages: 1, 2
Lil' Bitch

Noel Gallagher is attacked during Oasis concert.
QUOTE (Rocky @ Sep 8 2008, 10:45 PM) *

Noel Gallagher is attacked during Oasis concert.

Which raises the question:

People still go to Oasis concerts?
PUT THAT DICK IN MY MOUTH!
QUOTE (Captain of Outer Space @ Sep 9 2008, 09:56 PM) *
People still go to Oasis concerts?

For some utterly inexplicable reason British people still totally lurve Oasis. It's baffling.
Slayer
It seems like every other year since 1997 I'm surprised to hear that Oasis still exists
King Kamala
Canadians also still like Oasis (IIRC- that's where the dude tackled Noel). Maybe they feel obligated to like them since they have The Queen on their currency?
Ravenbomb
I like Oasis.
QUOTE (Ravenbomb @ Sep 10 2008, 01:49 AM) *
I like Oasis.

Why?
Copper Feel
Oasis are benefactors of constantly being compared to Blur, whose musical output ranges from mildly catchy to wholly unassuming. (What's the Story?) Morning Glory aside, they're really not anything special.
QUOTE (No Homo @ Sep 10 2008, 03:10 PM) *
Oasis are benefactors of constantly being compared to Blur, whose musical output ranges from mildly catchy to wholly unassuming.

Uhhhhhhhh Blur is about a thousand times better than Oasis and if you honestly think otherwise you have truly terrible taste. hth
Copper Feel
You would appear to care about Blur to the extent that 'British people' care about Oasis. I really don't see the appeal.

'hth'?
QUOTE (No Homo @ Sep 10 2008, 05:39 PM) *
I really don't see the appeal.

Uhm, how about the fact that they boast a catalog filled with supersmart pop songs spanning a fairly wide variety of genres/styles? Or perhaps the fact they they're one of the few bands who's just as good at ironic social commentary as they are at real pathos? Or maybe the fact that they own??? Really a lot of reasons here bro.
King Kamala
I'm with Chilly Willy, Blur was really the standout group of the Britpop explosion in the early to mid '90s. Though I have a huge soft spot for three or four Oasis songs.
Nighthawk
I like both. Blur is better, but that's really not a Britpop "explosion". By those standards, Blur was a one hit wonder. You had to go out of your way to seek out their other stuff. Oasis had several stateside hits.
It's rancid and righteous schaedenfreude at work. The Gallaghers have created these monstrous personae for themselves that they started to live their gimmick. If you roll with "I hope [the guy from Blur] gets AIDS," then be a fucking man and accept that a drunken yob from Canada is going to push your overweening ass over and break a rib or two. They've positioned themselves so that not only are they targets for ridicule, abuse and scorn, but hey, the rest of us can enjoy without guilt Liam or Noel or whichever one that was getting tackled and Noel or Liam being such a priss that he won't get his fists up until half-a-dozen security dorks take him down. It's Glenn Danzig getting knocked out: the next generation.
Corey_Lazarus
Nah, I'd say Danzig getting knocked out is a bit more enjoyable than a Gallagher, given it took MUCH longer for him to run his mouth before anything happened.
re Britpop: Blur's really good (duh) but Pulp was clearly the best thing to come out of that whole mess. Different Class is like the best album of the whole 1990s probably. And Jarvis Cocker is def. the best/hottest wry British waif guy.

wub.gif

PLAGIARISM!
Yeah, Pulp were the best of the lot. Anyone who disagrees will be branded 'young'.
godthedog
funny enough, i would want to replace 'parklife' for 'different class' in byron's statement. i like what little of pulp i've heard (mostly 'different class' and 'this is hardcore', neither with much regularity), but jarvis's speak-singing is a little too theatrical for my tastes. blur were catchy as shit and had a great sense of humor.

early oasis have little-by-little become sort of a guilty pleasure for me. i'm finally able to look past the obnoxiousness and noel's whiny voice to some of the catchiness, and i can sort of see why they were so popular for a time. i really like "cigarettes and alcohol."
King Kamala
I immediately thought of Pulp after I made the post but didn't they sort of predate Britpop? Granted, their peak years were during Britpop's peak years. I never really got into them all that much for pretty much the reasons gtd explained which is not to say they're not a great band.
QUOTE (godthedog @ Sep 11 2008, 12:47 PM) *
funny enough, i would want to replace 'parklife' for 'different class' in byron's statement.

I love Parklife, but it's kinda poorly sequenced, ya know? The four best songs are all put right up front and after the title track it just sort of meanders around though weird one-off genre experiments and pointless interludes with actual good songs scattered about seemingly at random.
Ravenbomb
I also like both Oasis and Blur. And Kimya Dawson, too, since someone brought her up. I like a lot of bands people think are shit.
Mik
QUOTE (Ravenbomb @ Sep 12 2008, 02:22 AM) *
I like a lot of bands people think are shit.

oh man tell me about it
Kinetic
QUOTE (Chilly Willy @ Sep 11 2008, 02:44 PM) *
QUOTE (godthedog @ Sep 11 2008, 12:47 PM) *
funny enough, i would want to replace 'parklife' for 'different class' in byron's statement.

I love Parklife, but it's kinda poorly sequenced, ya know? The four best songs are all put right up front and after the title track it just sort of meanders around though weird one-off genre experiments and pointless interludes with actual good songs scattered about seemingly at random.

Yeah, I prefer The Great Escape for being a significantly more cohesive album, although the highs on Parklife are admittedly higher. Blur unfortunately never had a really great album.
Matt Young
QUOTE (Mik @ Sep 12 2008, 04:03 AM) *

oh man tell me about it

Same.
Nighthawk
Well I do too, but nobody hassles me over it.
Youth N Asia
I'd love to see Oasis live...as long as they only did their first three albums
Vitamin X
QUOTE (Ballston Brewin' @ Sep 27 2008, 12:42 AM) *
QUOTE (Mik @ Sep 12 2008, 04:03 AM) *

oh man tell me about it

Same.

Fourth'ed.
The Niggardly King
Oasis is fucking magic...

ALL MY PEOPLE RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW... Y'KNOW WHAT I MEAN... YEAH YEAH
mfn
considering that oasis sell out just about every show that they do live, i'd say that people still care about them. oasis are a very solid band.
ZGangsta
Yeah Oasis is selling out arenas on a US tour right now. It's not like they're struggling to pack people into a club show or anything.
I still dig Oasis when I hear them, I liked them when I was a kid in the 90s.

And Blur fucking sucks, aside from the nostalgia of the novelty of Song 2. Parklife? Fuck off.
BUTT
Um hmmm duder, hate to burst your bubble but Byron the Bulb said that Oasis sucks. kthx
mfn
i don't care what anyone says... from what i'm hearing on their myspace right now... oasis is doing it big. they are fucking tearing it up with their new shit. flame away, i care not. they are fucking a band that is not to be taken lightly.

again, flame away.
mfn
holy shit. it's like i'm a kid again with rock and roll ( i'm the biggest oasis mark in the world ) it's so fucking good to listen too ( i am also really drunk at the time of this post... please... just listen before you pass judgement )
Slayer

I shit on a lot of bands people like
Copper Feel
QUOTE (mfn @ Oct 3 2008, 12:48 PM) *
they are fucking a band that is not to be taken lightly.

And which band would that be exactly?
mfn
QUOTE (No Homo @ Oct 3 2008, 10:49 AM) *

oasis. like i said, i care not what you say, but you can't deny the impact that they have had on music. positive or negative, they sell out shows and they write good songs.

im not saying that they are the best band in the world, far from it actually, but they are a solid band start to finish.
At Home
Having an impact on music and having a lot of fans are two different things
Copper Feel
Do they have a lot of fans up north? It's entirely possible. No one really listens to Oasis at all where I live.
mfn
QUOTE (At Home @ Oct 3 2008, 12:27 PM) *

True, but Oasis have impacted many bands. Jet for example... Coldplay... The Arctic Monkeys...
mfn
QUOTE (No Homo @ Oct 3 2008, 12:30 PM) *
Do they have a lot of fans up north? It's entirely possible. No one really listens to Oasis at all where I live.

I'm from the states. I'm assuming that you're from the UK considering you said 'up north'. A yes, Northern England loves Oasis. Apparently a lot of other people do too as well, otherwise they wouldn't see out show after show.
Slayer
QUOTE (mfn @ Oct 3 2008, 11:55 AM) *

oasis. like i said, i care not what you say, but you can't deny the impact that they have had on music. positive or negative, they sell out shows and they write good songs.

im not saying that they are the best band in the world, far from it actually, but they are a solid band start to finish.

Totally fucking missed that one
Maztinho
QUOTE (Slayer @ Oct 3 2008, 01:45 PM) *
QUOTE (mfn @ Oct 3 2008, 11:55 AM) *

Totally fucking missed that one

Like Casey at the Bat he was.
Use Your Illusion
Oasis are pretty big in Australia too, they always draw pretty well when they tour here and their albums always chart well intially.

Myself, I loved Morning Glory, that was the first CD I ever owned. Comparing their shit today, that I've heard anyway, to anything on that album is astounding. They don't give all that much of a shit anymore. 'The Shock of the Lightning' could be any random Oasis single from '97 onwards, it'd fit on any album they've released.
Kimaster1976
The main problem with Oasis is they simply have not evolved at all. The songs they release today could so easily have been released in 1994.

Oasis as a group are far and away bigger than Blur ever were. However maybe in 30 years time when all involved are long retired, I suspect Blur will be seen as the more talented, and Oasis as a band too obsessed with The Beatles.

It's ironic that Noel Gallagher refuses to change his bands style in a sort of homage to The Beatles, yet does he not see what kind of transformation Lennon, McCartney and Harrison were capable of in going from Love Me Do to Strawberry Fields in the space of barely 5 years?
mfn
Sunderland, Edinburgh and Dublin are now also sold out, along with the original two nights at Manchester's Heaton Park and London's Wembley Stadium, which reached capacity earlier this afternoon.

Oasis have since added third nights in Manchester (June 4) and London (July 9) at the same venues.

With tickets going on sale at 10am (BST) this morning (October 24), the band had sold half a million tickets by 3pm.

Oasis co-promoter Chris York of SJM Concerts speculated that "this has to be the most tickets ever sold by an artist in the UK in one day".

A spokesperson for the band added: "This proves Oasis continue to go from strength to strength and increase in popularity. Following their fantastically received arena tour this autumn and critically acclaimed new album, these will be the must-see shows of 2009."

they must be doing something right.
Bruiser Chong
I've got a couple buddies in their late 20s who have seen Oasis live at least a dozen times. They've actually gone to other states specifically to see the band live. They're going to a show in Detroit a couple months from now, too. Tickets are like between $50 and $75. I never really saw the appeal outside a few select tracks.
C*Z*E*C*H
QUOTE (mfn @ Oct 3 2008, 12:33 PM) *

True, but Oasis have impacted many bands. Jet for example... Coldplay... The Arctic Monkeys...

snort
BUTT
QUOTE (mfn @ Oct 3 2008, 12:33 PM) *

True, but Oasis have impacted many bands. Jet for example

Not a good thing
Copper Feel
QUOTE (mfn @ Oct 25 2008, 04:07 AM) *
they must be doing something right.

If something's popular then it must be good! beerchug.gif ylsuper.gif
TheFranchise
QUOTE (No Homo @ Oct 3 2008, 05:30 PM) *

This is a strange one.. There is certainly not a north/south divide in this country when it come to listening to Oasis of all things.

The majority of people seem to like them.

Myself included.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.