Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First "CD" you ever bought
TSM Forums > Pop Culture > Music
Pages: 1, 2
1234-5678
And yes I don't mean cassette or album....first CD you ever bought?

For me, it's "The Ultimate Experience" by Jimi Hendrix.
BUTT
I think it was the Smashing Pumpkins "Thirty-Three." That band knew how to release a CD single. One hit and three unreleased B-sides! Same deal with "Tonight, Tonight."

First full-length was Aerosmith's Big Ones.
Nighthawk
Kinetic
Gwar's This Toilet Earth.
Maztinho
Tzar Lysergic
Paranoid.
Black Lushus
Took me awhile to get in to buying CDs, it was mostly cassettes and vinyl for me, it was one of these two, can't remember which one:

Steviekick

Ironically, this was also the first ever purchase I made at a Target.
Giuseppe Zangara
Edwin MacPhisto
I can't remember which came first, but I think it was either Licensed to Ill or Best of the Sugarhill Gang.
haws bah gawd
This was around '94 IIRC

Ugh.........this was the first (single) CD I ever bought.

This is the first (full-length) CD I ever bought, which was about a week or 2 later.

Talk about going from one extreme to the other.....
Copper Feel
It took me too long to become any good as a human being:

haws bah gawd
^^^ Is that Robbie Williams?
Perfxion
Steviekick
QUOTE (909 @ Oct 22 2008, 11:09 AM) *

I picked this up at an FYE new for $0.99. I still haven't mustered the courage to listen to it.
I bought it when I was 7 and still haven't listened to it.
Black Lushus
With such brilliant lines as "I'm a horse, Kobe ratted me out, that's why I'm getting divorced" and "Got a vasectomy, now I can't breed 'em", there's no reason to think that Shaq's albums are terrible at all...go for it, guys!
Perfxion
don't forget new gems like:

"HEY KOBE, HOW DOES MY ASS TASTE!? HEY KOBE, HOW DOES MY ASS TASTE?"
Copper Feel
QUOTE (Haws bah gawd @ Oct 22 2008, 03:27 PM) *

Yes, it is. I have only my age at the time to blame.
Red Baron
MFer

I was about 11 I think.
Lord of The Curry
Our Lady Peace- Naveed
Mik
II - Boyz II Men.

I remember sometime in elementary school playing that CD on constant repeat while leveling up with Ceres in Final Fantasy 3 before the world switch so all my characters can come back with insanely high levels.

This is a very odd thing to look back on... in retrospect.
PLAGIARISM!
Parklife.
Mike wanna be
The Ghost of bps21
Pearl Jam Ten

I got a CD player for my birthday and the CD came out like...a couple days later.
daileyxplanet

And

Youth N Asia
On the same day I bought

Warrent, Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinkin Rich
Counting Crows, August and Everything After
Motley Crue, Dr Feelgood

Mr. S£im Citrus
I'd had a respectable vinyl and cassette collection as a teenager, but I was already in the Navy before I bought my first CD... Which happened to be:

EDIT - That's not strictly accurate: I bought that CD my first duty-free weekend out of boot camp, but I also bought four other CD's from the same store at the same time. The other four were:

Smartly Pretty

Not a bad CD for a 7 year old boy.
Copper Feel
QUOTE (Mr. S£im Citrus @ Oct 22 2008, 06:11 PM) *
Mr. S£im Citrus' post

Me Against the World was released in 1995, wasn't it? I was under the impression that CDs were the most common method of listening to music long before then.
AboveAverage484
Black Lushus
QUOTE (Cock of Glass @ Oct 22 2008, 02:09 PM) *
Mr. S£im Citrus' post

Me Against the World was released in 1995, wasn't it? I was under the impression that CDs were the most common method of listening to music long before then.

Nah, I would say not until 97-98ish.
Gary Floyd
JN News
My first CD came in the year 2000, after I graduated from High School. It was a Deep Purple CD entitled, "Perfect Strangers".
The Metal Maniac
I think the first CD I ever bought was Metallica's S&M. I refused to switch over to CD's for a long time, because I liked tapes for some reason. I think it was because you could beat the shit out of a tape and it'd still work. And because all the music I had was on tape, either because I bought it that way to save money, or it was one of my brother's old tapes (my brother had similar musical tastes as me, so I took all his old tapes when he moved out).

That was pretty excellent, now that I think about it. Got a bunch of shit from him, old Metallica, Pantera, even Suicidal Tendencies, which I doubt I ever would've heard of otherwise.
Vitamin X

Kind of a weird thing, but this was the first CD I went out and got with my own money. I was 11 at the time, watching a lot of MTV since I was trying to fit in with the "cool kids" at my new school, and a lot of them listened to Green Day and other assorted crap. I was obsessed with mid-late 90's MTV and would stay up late watching the videos (and especially Jenny McCarthy on Singled Out) so I got into Nirvana pretty heavy at this time. My musical influence, if you looked at my family, was pretty awkward. My mom was into traditional Cuban music, a lot of salsa and traditional son, my brother was a really strange guy and was HEAVILY into Ace of Base (he gave me The Sign when I was little, but that's not technically something I bought, of course), and my dad listened to a lot of really gay new age shit- we're talking Kenny G and Enya here- but he listened to jazz and some classical as well, which was alright.
The Ghost of bps21
QUOTE (Black Lushus @ Oct 22 2008, 03:20 PM) *
Mr. S£im Citrus' post

I had a cd player in my car in 97...standard.

Neither I, nor anyone I know bought anything but a CD after 1992.
Maztinho
Come on VX, Enya isn't that bad. She's good trying to fall asleep music.
BX
Lord of The Curry
Late bloomer?
Black Lushus
QUOTE (The Ghost of bps21 @ Oct 22 2008, 03:09 PM) *
QUOTE (Black Lushus @ Oct 22 2008, 03:20 PM) *
Mr. S£im Citrus' post

I had a cd player in my car in 97...standard.

Neither I, nor anyone I know bought anything but a CD after 1992.

well, sir, i DO live in the midwest...we tend to be a bit late out here.
C*Z*E*C*H
QUOTE (Smartly Pretty @ Oct 22 2008, 01:42 PM) *

Not a bad CD for a 7 year old boy.

It wasn't that bad! They had that cool retro-surf-lounge thing going. Kind of a mainstream Combustible Edison.

I wasn't much for buying music as a kid. I was a slave to the radio waves, yes indeedy-do. I think the first album I bought was Tubthumper in 6th grade, followed by Smash Mouth's Fush Yu Mang and a Trio compilation called, I think, Da Da Da.

As for audio media, I remember listening to Christmas albums and Disney lullabies on a CD player as early as 1990. My reliable old boombox from 1995-2001 had only cassettes, no CDs. Our old Plymouth Voyager didn't have a CD player. It didn't have air conditioning or transmission fluid near the end, either, so there you go.
JaMarcus Russell's #1 Caucasian Fan
Bad and History by Michael Jackson was my first CDs after my mom and dad bought me a CD player for my 10th birthday back in 1995. I remember recording songs off the radio and televison before then.
Smartly Pretty
Ooh, Tubthumper. I remember my dad bought that for my mom, and I liked the first two songs (one of which was the title track, of course) but the rest of it bored me. I still like the title track.
Mr. S£im Citrus
QUOTE (Cock of Glass @ Oct 22 2008, 03:09 PM) *
Mr. S£im Citrus' post

'95 was when I went to boot camp. I didn't have a CD player until then; didn't see a need. But, since I couldn't take my crap to boot camp with me, and was in no hurry to have it sent to me when I finished, I bought all new stuff... And, since I was able to get a portable CD player at a "reasonable" price in '95 (and had a shiny new paycheck burning a hole in my pocket), I bought one.
King Kamala
I believe mine was Queen- Innuendo. Either that or The Jacksons Live. Those two were my favorites when I was 7. Are we counting CDs we bought with our parents money? If it's first CD I bought with my own money, I have absolutely no idea.
BX
Yeah. Late bloomer.
haws bah gawd
QUOTE (Cock of Glass @ Oct 22 2008, 11:47 AM) *
QUOTE (Haws bah gawd @ Oct 22 2008, 03:27 PM) *

Yes, it is. I have only my age at the time to blame.

Tell me that's the album that featured "Rock DJ". Holy shit, that song was so bad it was funny. The video has to be one of the worst ever. Oh what the hell, let's post it for everyone to enjoy:

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.