Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Regulate" by Warren G and Nate Dogg
TSM Forums > Pop Culture > Music
Pages: 1, 2
Lord of The Curry
This song is fucking awesome. Nate Dogg's best performance. Liberal usage of words you don't hear in rap anymore like "busta" and "sucka".

If you don't love this song you are a horrible person.
PILLS! PILLS! PILLS!
I do. In fact, I liked Warren G so much that I bought his second album.
Lord of The Curry
"I laid all them bustas down/Let my gat explode/Now I'm switchin' my mind back into freak mode."

That's poetry and science combined.
Czecherbear
No, it's just a lyric.

I've liked this song a lot, ever since I was a wee lad, but just because it sounds cooler than 99% of the rap songs out there. It's good storytelling, I guess, but the brilliance of the song is in the melodies. Even Warren G's rapping is kind of melodic in an abstract way.
Edwin MacPhisto
Pretty much the best, yeah. The only time I've ever heard it disparaged was by a curmudgeonly-beyond-his-years late-20s New Yorker, whose accent was thick and puzzled as he queried, "What is this? Sounds like a negro talking over some smooth jazz."

Also, marking the second time this has been embedded on the board in a day's time:

Czecherbear
When was the last time someone embedded "I Keep Forgettin'" in here?

LOL at your anecdote. Smooth indeed.
Lord of The Curry
What's the opening line from? Sounds like Michael Douglas.
Edwin MacPhisto
I'm just gonna embed the shit out of stuff whilst replying to your inquiry. The opening lines are from...

foleyfanforever88
Regulate is my favorite rap song ever. Considering how little I listen to rap compared to other music, it's also worth noting that this song is among my top 10 most played songs on iTunes.
dubq
G Funk Era is probably my favourite hip hop album next to Dre's Chronic and the Digable Planets' Blowout Comb. I think I wore that CD out in high school. Good shit, right there!
Lord of The Curry
I was hesitant to start this thread as I got knocked pretty hard in the poster tourney first round by some people because apparently I have race-confusion issues.

*Realizes avatar quote is from Wu-Tang*

*Realizes sig line is from Juelz Santana*

Hmmmmmmm....
Black Lushus
The Chronic still holds up well to this day...might just be nostalgia talking.

Ice Cube's Death Certificate (once you get past the fact that he's talking about almost two decade old issues) and Enter the Wu both do as well.

dubq
My favourite Wu-related album has to be GZA's Liquid Swords. If I had to go with core Wu-Tang.. then definitely Enter the Wu-Tang. smile.gif

Oh, and: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x5Olen_1co
PILLS! PILLS! PILLS!
QUOTE (Black Lushus @ Jan 9 2009, 03:37 PM) *
The Chronic still holds up well to this day...might just be nostalgia talking.

Ice Cube's Death Certificate (once you get past the fact that he's talking about almost two decade old issues) and Enter the Wu both do as well.

I miss pre-WSC Ice Cube. Everything album that he has released after Lethal Injection has been really watered down.
Lord of The Curry
For Wu-Tang I alternate between OBFCL/Liquid Swords/Enter as my faves.
PILLS! PILLS! PILLS!
No Ironman?
The Flamboyance
I recently saw GZA perform Liquid Swords in its entirety. It was a great show. I live in Staten Island, so it's natural for me to love Wu Tang, I guess.

Anyway, as for Regulate, I like most songs featuring Nate Dogg. That guy was the coolest.
Lord of The Curry
Ironman would probably round out the top five but I wouldn't put it above any of the ones listed.

Pro Tools, IMO got slept on in 2008. I think too many people wanted Liquid Swords II. "Paper Plate" is a fucking fabulous diss track.
Annabelle
i dont think ive ever met a person who doesn't like regulate. warren g is still ill.
PUT THAT DICK IN MY MOUTH!
QUOTE (mellowblissful @ Jan 9 2009, 04:19 PM) *
No Ironman?

Ironman isn't even the best Ghostface album.
Obi Chris Kenobi
As a dumb white kid from the UK who's music genre didn't develop till he was about 13 and someone put The Best of Queen casette tape on one day, this was my first taste of 'rap'. I loved it, thought it was awesome, but generally the experience I've had when I tell people I like it is; 'Typical'.

It does seem to be that people who really listen to a lot of rap seem to love this song, and those that listen to loads of rap hate it since its been stolen by those that don't really care for the genre over all. I do like 80s Funk though.
Gary Floyd
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx is my favorite Wu solo, with Liquid Swords coming in at second and Fishscale at third.
The Flamboyance
I also think Fishscale is Ghost's best solo album.
Lord of The Curry
I'd put Ironman and Pretty Toney above Fishscale.
Copper Feel
I like this song, but I don't think I find either of their voices interesting enough to explore anything else by them.
Supreme Clientele you idiots.
QUOTE (Someone Great @ Jan 9 2009, 05:59 PM) *
I like this song, but I don't think I find either of their voices interesting enough to explore anything else by them.

If you don't consider Nate Dogg's singing voice to be one of the five most beautiful things you've ever heard kill yourself immediately.
Copper Feel
I'm going to fite you so hard one of these days.
FroGG_NeaL
One of the most perfect songs ever. This is G-funk at it's finest.

Nate Dogg used to be the hook king, but dude's voice has detiriated the past few years. He still brings it sometimes, but back in the day Nate was the most melodic person in rap. Warren G put out a good album about a year and a half or so ago. Return of the g-funk or some shit.

But yeah, Regulate. Brilliant peice of work right thurr.
Detox
QUOTE (objet petit a @ Jan 9 2009, 04:59 PM) *

finally someone here with some sense.
Lt. Al Giardello

My personal favorite Nate Dogg performance.

One great Nate Dogg performance...

Czecherbear
Why is this in No Holds Barred? Too hard for the music folder?
QUOTE (Lord of The Curry @ Jan 9 2009, 03:02 PM) *
*Realizes sig line is from Juelz Santana*

That's a misquote, btw.
Lt. Al Giardello
Juelz Santana fucking sucks.
JaMarcus Russell's #1 Caucasian Fan
n/m
Lord of The Curry
The whole point of this thread was for it not to end up in this folder where it will no doubt wither away and die.

'Splain how I'm misquoting.
Czecherbear
QUOTE (Lord of The Curry @ Jan 9 2009, 11:21 PM) *
The whole point of this thread was for it not to end up in this folder where it will no doubt wither away and die.

Yeah, if I had kept this amidst "byron fite me u poser" and "i'm a mutant from green bay with a limp dick" then maybe we could have analyzed and discussed the 1993 Warren G/Nate Dogg hit single "Regulate" well into June 2011. Leap up my ass.
PILLS! PILLS! PILLS!
QUOTE (objet petit a @ Jan 9 2009, 05:59 PM) *

Definitely the fifth or sixth best Wu solo.
NoCalMike
"Regulate" is a pretty popular song to be played during a party at my house once the alcohol has been flowing, and blunts have burning and people are looking to hear some music.
Youth N Asia
The most surprising thing to me is that they ripped the opening monologue from a Western
Why is that surprising?
Youth N Asia
hip-hop and westerns don't tend to go hand in hand.

Surprising may have not been the choice word
dubq
True, I think it's less about where the sample is from and more what it's saying. Unless you're trying to tell us that you don't think that black people are fans of Westerns? laugh.gif
Youth N Asia

I'm almost saying that

biggrin.gif
2GOLD
Come on, everybody loved "Young Guns".

As for rap and westerns not mixing, obviously you forget the 1988 Kool Moe Dee song "Wild Wild West". Take a western thing, turn it into a song about gangs, keep in the noise of six shooters and presto!
kkktookmybabyaway

RE: Regulate. Not a bad song. Was a bit too overplayed when it came out, but that's to be expected.
Henry Spencer
I will boldly claim that Ain't No Fun (If The Homies Can't Have None) is the peak of both Nate Dogg's and Warren G's respective recording careers. Regulate is good too, of course.
Edwin MacPhisto
A strong counterargument, and one I can allllmost get behind. I think their respective verses on that song are better than anything they do on "Regulate," but there's something about this one being the showcase for them and them alone that makes me content to note it as the peak. This extra-smooth g-funk sound is also one of the most distinct to come off the early-mid-90s g-funk mixing boards, which suits the two of them even better than the slightly bouncier party-track feel of "Ain't No Fun."
Henry Spencer
Yeah, I also think that Regulate's more storytelling oriented lyrical approach lends it a bit of dramatic heft that makes it feel more definitive.

Really, though, I just think that Ain't No Fun was a career high for every single person involved.
YourKock'sReallyGreat
I am suprised that nobody has mentioned that this song is on the soundtrack of Above the Rim. Which is one of my favorite guilty pleasures from 1994. Lets not forget that Above the Rim had Tupac and a young Avon Barksdale in it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.