TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest redbaron51

John Cena

Guest redbaron51

Okay it seems to me that after a few matches, Cena is a good wrestler but not the greatest, and that is the years to come after, if he is still around, and he has some work to do to improve.

Though what gets my beef that he is feuding with Jericho in his first month with the WWE. Not only that defeating Jericho in a way, slapping Jericho in the face, and already getting good pops, and yet he is a rookie. If he was a more exeperiance wrestler that went to other big name feds like in ECW or in WCW before they shut down, I wouldn't be posting here no would I.

This is the thing. Jericho is a Euro champion, 3 time IC champion, a tag champion and the undisputed WWE Champion. Cena defeats him in his second match. There goes Jericho's believabilty, and it shows to the common fan (if they can remember) that Jericho is not worthy to be a champion if he lost to a rookie.

If its one match it wouldn't be that bad either, but its going on and on...and fearing for the worst this might even lead into Summerslam...

Its also to a slap in the face to many wrestlers. Most of them busted their asses off just trying to make it where they are, like Undertaker, Rock, Triple H, Hogan, Jericho, Austin, Angle....etc...and that list goes on. Cena comes in main events a smackdown show, and is now suppose to be a high calibar wrestler in the WWE. Hell Angle has only been here three years, and he started on the bottom and moveed up, fighting Meat and Crash Holly at the beginning, until up against Tazz. Cena slaps Jericho in the face, and wham he is in the mid-card?

If Cena wants to stay here long in the WWE, he needs to have a better ring work and mic skills if he wants to get over. No doubt that Cena has talent in the business, but if the WWE doesn't build him up properly, give him a character/persona, then this guy would be another Just Joe. Who? that's right you probably don't remember who he is.

And a reminder. Don't say blame Triple H for doing this, even though he is hated by the most of us...i don't think he has that much control over Cena and Jericho.

Guest chirs3

I wholly agree. And I dunno who is to blame, but they really need to get their act together.

Cena is good in the ring. With all... 2 sentences he's said, he appears to have good mic work. I have no problem with him main eventing in the future.

And I wouldn't have a problem with him main eventing now, except when he debuted, you know how they sold him?

"It's John Cena! A young up and comer with a bright future in the WWE!"

And he went toe to toe with Angle.

Now if they had said "HOLY FUCK, IT'S JOHN CENA! ANGLE WILL GET TORN LIMB FROM LIMB!", then I would have had NO problem with Cena's main event push. But they're not selling Cena as a threatening force. They're selling him as a young upstart rookie... who is cleaning house against Angle and Jericho. And that's just insulting.

Guest AxelSmash

Has Cena won any matches 1 on 1 by pinfall yet? I don't watch Smackdown all the time.

Guest chirs3

1 on 1 pinfall? No.

He did pin Jericho in a tag match, didn't he?

If I remember right, he went toe to toe with Angle and lost to a weird backslide rollup thing.

Then went one on one with Jericho, who CHEATED TO WIN~!

Then pinned Jericho in a tag match.

Something like that, right?

(I don't watch SD! either)

Guest Retro Rob

The guy generates more heat than majority of the roster, so why not push him? Right now the WWE has to stop doing things the way they used to and start giving the fans exactly what they want. That is the only way for them to escape the downward spiral they find themselves in.

Guest chirs3

I didn't say don't push him. He's got talent.

The problem is they're selling him as a rookie while he goes toe to toe with Angle and Jericho.

If you're gonna push him like that, sell him as a threat.

Guest redbaron51

what is his finisher anyways?

i don't think i've ever seen one...and if there is a finisher for Cena is it devestating?

Guest AxelSmash

Anyone besides me say John cena looks like Little Mac from Punch Out games when he wore the green & white trunks? LOL

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Cena hasn't used a finisher yet. In OVW he used some sort of powerbomb, I believe.

And I don't know about the pops. Since he's on Smackdown, and since they always edit stuff, and since no one in the front 5 to 6 rows has moved at all in one of his matches, I don't think he's really getting the response they'd like us to believe...

Guest Ripper

Cena has been wrestling about 2-3 years longer than Angle. He is a vet that is just now getting in the company and I think that the other wrestlers respect him.

Guest redbaron51
Cena has been wrestling about 2-3 years longer than Angle. He is a vet that is just now getting in the company and I think that the other wrestlers respect him.

To many fans, he is a rookie with no build up of anything, his character is bland...and that, but with his almost win against Angle, and the slap in the face to Jericho doesn't mean he's top dog, but the WWE really needs some people to get over badly...

Guest El Psycho Diablo

Jericho's credibility is so nonexistant right now, it dosen't matter if he went over Cena. *shrugs* At least laying on his back is getting Cena over.

Guest chirs3

That's the problem - in real life, he may be a vet. But do we hear Cole or Tazz saying that?

Guest Ripper

"To many fans, he is a rookie with no build up of anything, his character is bland...and that, but with his almost win against Angle, and the slap in the face to Jericho doesn't mean he's top dog, but the WWE really needs some people to get over badly..."

Yeah, but noone complained when Angle came in from the developmentals and won every singles title in year. His push is like Cena X 20...And it worked. It is alot harder to get a new comer over as a face, and I think they are doing a pretty good job at it.

Cena(or Prototype, which is so much more of a kick ass name) was busting his ass in the indies before Angle even came to the sport, then spent years in the developmental and now is in the frount of the cameras. I know the fans might not appreciate it that much, but I believe that be boys in the back would really have no problem with a guy that went the long route like he did getting a push.

Guest redbaron51

Angle had character, a background history brought up, mic and ring skills. These traits brought him into the main event, even from the beginning.

Cena has wrestling ability and that is it, and he is near the main event on Smackdown. If they are going to push Cena properly, they need to build his character, have some sort of background to build his character and develop his mic skills.

Angle debuted in 99, but was in development since 97, plus amateur wrestling since the early 90's.

I highly doubt Cena has been that long in the wrestling business.

Guest El Psycho Diablo

The fact still remains.

A god push is a god push.

Angle got the same thing people bitch about Triple H for.

Guest chirs3

Ripper, it doesn't matter if Cena's experience is selling peanuts at the Carnival. They are selling him as a rookie. If they said "This kid has been wrestling for years, and he's our next big star!", then his current push would be fine. But they're saying his character is green, a rookie, a n00b, a developlmental talent called up. THAT's the problem.

Guest Ironman

IMO, Cena looks like shit in the ring. He's obviously used to a smaller ring (WWE are a lot larger than most) and he has no psych, timing, or anything. He's just playing off the "Underdog!"/rookie gimmick and it's making him look even worse.

If he has been in this business longer than Angle yet his skills aren't up to par, he's not really a vet. He's just a rookie who has been in the ring for a while.

He's the second coming of Maven, IMO. And where did Maven go anyways? Taker bury him alive?

Guest Incandenza

I do not care much for Cena, but at least he has heat--more heat than Brock--so at least there is some justification in his push. I'm all for pushing new talent, but if the crowd ain't respondin'--i.e. Lesnar--then give it up, sez I.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

Cena isn't a rookie, so what's the problem with him getting a push? That's like people bringing up Bischoff's name as anything other thna an on-air personality. He has no backstage power, but some people act like he does because they say it for his character. Would you rather have him get buried before he gets his push?

Guest saturnmark4life

i think cena's good, but don't see what he's done to warrant a main event level push over guys of pretty much equal ability like Orton and Batista. My main concern is how they ever get him over as a legitimate threat once he's given up the whole 'rookie who wins by a fluke' thing. His whole gimmick is that he wins all his matches by a fluke pin. You can't push someone to main events like that.

Guest redbaron51

well guess where Cena is now...

right where he was suppose to be 5 months ago.

Okay it seems to me that after a few matches, Cena is a good wrestler but not the greatest, and that is the years to come after, if he is still around, and he has some work to do to improve.

Though what gets my beef that he is feuding with Jericho in his first month with the WWE. Not only that defeating Jericho in a way, slapping Jericho in the face, and already getting good pops, and yet he is a rookie. If he was a more exeperiance wrestler that went to other big name feds like in ECW or in WCW before they shut down, I wouldn't be posting here no would I.

This is the thing. Jericho is a Euro champion, 3 time IC champion, a tag champion and the undisputed WWE Champion. Cena defeats him in his second match. There goes Jericho's believabilty, and it shows to the common fan (if they can remember) that Jericho is not worthy to be a champion if he lost to a rookie.

If its one match it wouldn't be that bad either, but its going on and on...and fearing for the worst this might even lead into Summerslam...

Its also to a slap in the face to many wrestlers. Most of them busted their asses off just trying to make it where they are, like Undertaker, Rock, Triple H, Hogan, Jericho, Austin, Angle....etc...and that list goes on. Cena comes in main events a smackdown show, and is now suppose to be a high calibar wrestler in the WWE. Hell Angle has only been here three years, and he started on the bottom and moveed up, fighting Meat and Crash Holly at the beginning, until up against Tazz. Cena slaps Jericho in the face, and wham he is in the mid-card?

If Cena wants to stay here long in the WWE, he needs to have a better ring work and mic skills if he wants to get over. No doubt that Cena has talent in the business, but if the WWE doesn't build him up properly, give him a character/persona, then this guy would be another Just Joe. Who? that's right you probably don't remember who he is.

And a reminder. Don't say blame Triple H for doing this, even though he is hated by the most of us...i don't think he has that much control over Cena and Jericho.

13 years later, he is still around, and is the wrestler of the millenium and most hated babyface in history.