TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MarvinisaLunatic

'Tis a sad day..

Guest J*ingus

This reminds me how some of the Southern states are just now getting around to officially apologizing for slavery.

Guest El Satanico

Wow...i didn't even know they still sold Beta machines. Unless they were all just professional machines. I may be mistaken, but isn't Beta still used alot by tv channels and other things involving recording.

Guest kingkamala

Actually yeah it was mostly used by TV channels cause the quality is slightly better then VHS

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

"This reminds me how some of the Southern states are just now getting around to officially apologizing for slavery."

Hell, this reminds me how some of the Southern states are just now getting around to officially recognizing the North as the victor...

Guest C.H.U.D.

Beta is actually better than VHS, but VHS was marketed better. When me and my friends edited our student films, we always used Betamax.

Guest J*ingus

The main reason Beta failed? Tape length. A standard VHS tape holds 2 hours of footage, and some specialty tapes hold even more. But Beta tapes only hold up to ninety minutes. Lots of people hated the idea of having to use two tapes instead of one just to watch a movie.

Guest areacode212

I still have a ton of shit that I taped over the roughly nine-year lifespan of my Beta VCR, which broke down in 1994. I always intended to get a new one someday, so I could once again watch my complete run of Max Headroom. I guess I should hurry and buy one now.

Guest El Satanico

And you better call a company that imports Japanese electronics since the article said Beta machines have only been sold in Japan since 1998.

Or just go to Flea markets and swap meets and buy a bunch of old ones.

Guest Nevermortal
I still have a ton of shit that I taped over the roughly nine-year lifespan of my Beta VCR, which broke down in 1994. I always intended to get a new one someday, so I could once again watch my complete run of Max Headroom. I guess I should hurry and buy one now.

You can get yer Max Headroom on Tech TV, Fridays at 6.

Guest evenflowDDT

Does it really matter by now? DVDs are ousting VHS anyway... who invented DVD anyway? I always thought it was Sony, but they invented CD's, right?

Guest areacode212
who invented DVD anyway?

from the DVD FAQ ( http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html ):

[6.1] Who invented DVD and who owns it? Whom to contact for specifications and licensing?

DVD is the work of many companies and many people. There were originally two competing proposals. The MMCD format was backed by Sony, Philips, and others. The SD format was backed by Toshiba, Matsushita, Time Warner, and others. A group of computer companies led by IBM insisted that the factions agree on a single standard. The combined DVD format was announced in September of 1995, avoiding a confusing and costly repeat of the VHS vs. Betamax videotape battle or the quadraphonic sound battle of the 1970s.

No single company "owns" DVD. The official specification was developed by a consortium of ten companies: Hitachi, JVC, Matsushita, Mitsubishi, Philips, Pioneer, Sony, Thomson, Time Warner, and Toshiba. Representatives from many other companies also contributed in various working groups. In May 1997, the DVD Consortium was replaced by the DVD Forum, which is open to all companies, and as of February 2000 had over 220 members. Time Warner originally trademarked the DVD logo, and has since assigned it to the DVD Format/Logo Licensing Corporation. The term "DVD" is too common to be trademarked or owned. See section 6.2 and visit Robert's DVD Info page for links to Web sites of companies working with DVD.