TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TSMAdmin

The Last Word VI

Guest TSMAdmin

Before I start I’d just like to say RIP to Cardinals pitcher Darryl Kile who passed away earlier today. I really never followed Darryl’s major league career too closely, but I know he was a great talent. It’s sad to see anyone die so young. RIP.

Oh, and I’d like to apologize for not writing for two weeks, but I’ve been having some tough times of late. Things have been pretty hectic and I haven’t had a chance to write anything. Things seem to be picking up again though, and I’m back.

Thoughts on this week in wrestling:color>

The NWA:TNA PPV was pretty lackluster if you ask me. There was Wrestlecrap throughout the entire card. It was basically the Jeff Jarrett show, even if he didn’t win the world title. He ate up a good deal of the two hours.

Wrestlecrap from the NWA:TNA PPV:

- Flying Elvises

- Jeff Jarrett vs. Jackie Fargo

- Jeff Jarrett vs. that country singer

- Elektra on the mic! (and getting her shirt ripped off… AHHHHHH!)

- The horrible commentary from Mike Tenay, Don West, and Ed Fererra.

- The Dupps. Yeah, I think they’re crap personally.

- The “X” Division. God that’s a retarded name. And I thought the “cool” letter craze was over.

- The Wall lasting till’ the end of the Gauntlet for the Gold.

- The Disciples of the New Church

- Mortimer Plumtree

- The Johnsons.

I’m probably forgetting some shit. It seemed as if every segment was full of Wrestlecrap. Even the one good match (Elvises/Lynn, Low-Ki, AJ Styles) was flawed due to the retarded Elvis impersonator gimmick.

Looks like Vince Russo has been re-hired by the WWE. Thankfully he was taken off the booking squad. This is one instance where Stephanie McMahon and Triple H’s authority really comes in handy. Wait a minute, I hope this doesn't mean he'll be used as an on air personality... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Smackdown got it’s lowest rating ever this past Thursday. I can’t really comment on the show because I missed it also (looks like a lot of other people did too). From what I hear the show was crap. Hmmm, Heyman hasn’t really turned anything around… things have seemingly gotten worse. Remember, Triple H hitting things with sledgehammers = Ratings!

Extreme Warfare Revenge was released recently. For those who don’t know much about the game, it’s a booking sim where you take complete control of any fed in North America. It’s a definite must have for any net fan, be sure to check it out. You rule, Adam Ryland!

Oh, and the main buzz on the net of late brings me to my latest column.

The Last Word VI: Remembering Steve Austin:color>

As you all know, the main buzz around the entire wrestling world is the WWE’s firing of one of their biggest stars ever, Stone Cold Steve Austin. This came as a huge shock to me, as it probably did for many of you. I have mixed feelings on the whole situation to tell you the truth. Austin definitely had a lack of motivation the last few months. I’d have to say that its because of his crappy booking against the nWo. It’s well documented that Steve Austin hates the clique and Hulk Hogan, so I guess he felt like his spot in the company was being trivialized by a group of guys he really dislikes. That’s still no excuse for his unprofessional behavior. Steve could have handled it like a professional and talked things over with Vinny Mac and crew, and some sort of agreement could have been reached.

Enough about that though. I’m sure there’s a whole bunch of articles around the net talking about the controversy of Steve Austin leaving. This column is different. I’m putting aside my feelings on the matter to take a look back at the amazing career Steve Williams, better known as Stone Cold Steve Austin has had.

Steve Williams began his career in wrestling in the USWA territory in Memphis. To be completely honest with you, I haven’t seen Austin in action in USWA. I do know that he tagged with Chris Adams while in USWA, and eventually split the team, leading to a feud between the two. Another little bit of trivial knowledge from his run in the USWA is that Austin was briefly managed by Percy Pringle, who you all know as Paul Bearer. Soon there after, Austin split for the greener grass of WCW.

Austin received a decent push right off the gun in WCW. He was pushed as a true champion, and had a number of valets. Dubbed as Stunning Steve Austin, he would soon capture his first title in the big three, when he defeated Bobby Eaton for the Television title. Austin was a tremendous wrestler, mixing the style of a true brawler and a master technician. Austin would soon get involved with Paul Heyman, then known as Paul E. Dangerously, as a member of the famed Dangerous Alliance. This was a nice learning experience for Austin, as he was surrounded by veterans like Rick Rude, Arn Anderson, and Larry Zbyszko.

It was when Paul Heyman left WCW for ECW that Austin really took off. Steve Austin was paired with another up and comer, the late Brian Pillman to form one of the greatest tag teams in wrestling history, The Hollywood Blondes. Austin and Pillman had awesome chemistry, and their matches were seldom boring. They always seemed to give it 100 percent, even if the team was booked poorly. Eventually the tandem won the WCW Tag Team Titles, cementing their names in WCW history. In many ways, they were revolutionary, and not just for their awesome ring work. Austin and Pillman filmed some of the earliest on screen parodies, parodying Ric Flair and Arn Anderson, mocking them for their age. The team was getting rave reviews all around, and were destined to dominate the tag division for some time.

Sadly, Brian Pillman sustained an injury, and Steve Austin was forced to fend for himself again. Austin captured the coveted US champion, and had some great matches against The Great Muta, which gained him some fans in puro-land. Austin was gathering quite a reputation in the back, with Ric Flair especially. Flair took a real shining to Austin, Flair thought Austin would one day be something big. Flair wanted to lose his WCW World Title to Steve Austin, a true honor. Apparently, Hulk Hogan did not agree. Hulk Hogan convinced Flair that Austin would never be more than a midcarder, and would never amount to anything. The booking squad was slayed too, and an Austin WCW world title reign never happened. This is the main reason why Steve Austin hates Hulk Hogan and refuses to work with him. Eventually Eric Bischoff would release Austin after a series of injuries.

Austin was a hot commodity, and soon signed a developmental contract with the WWF. Before heading over to McMahon-land, Austin had a short stint in ECW. Austin really developed in his short 4 month stay in ECW. One thing he learned in ECW is how to work around his injuries, and still put on good matches. Austin’s ECW run was short, but memorable for his parody of Hulk Hogan.

In late 1995, Austin debuted in WWF. Austin was not billed as a former WCW US champ. His past was seemingly forgotten by the WWF, as Austin was billed as The Ringmaster. He was managed by the great Ted DiBiase, and was given the Million Dollar Belt. He was placed in an angle with Savio Vega, who he had a series of strap matches with. Austin was not exactly getting over too well with the fans as The Ringmaster. Austin would soon lose The Ringmaster tag around Wrestlemania 12, and from then on would be known as “Stone Cold.” Austin lost a match to Savio Vega and the stip was that he had to lose DiBiase as a manager. This is where Austin’s career really took off. He was pushed as a total bad ass, who gave a shit about no one but himself. This all climaxed when he won the 1996 KOTR (refusing the crown and scepter), which launched Austin into superstardom, as he coined the famous phrase “Austin 3:16 says I just whooped your ass!” The line caught on like wild-fire, and became the cry of the next generation in wrestling.

Austin floated around the middle of the card for much of 1996, until he started his brilliant feud with Bret Hart. This feud was a real turning point in the WWF’s direction. Austin was so damn charismatic, that the fans WANTED to cheer him. Austin was the ultimate bad guy, but the fans took to his don’t take any shit attitude, and basically turned on Bret Hart in favor of Steve Austin. The feud climaxed at Wrestlemania 13, in one of the greatest matches in WWF history, where Austin turned full-fledged face, and Bret Hart turned full-fledged heel. The storytelling in the match was amazing, with Bret Hart slowly turning more and more heelish, and eventually becoming relentless at the end, kicking Steve Austin while he was down. Austin would garner his “never give up” attitude in this match, as he wouldn’t tap to Hart’s sharpshooter, despite the fact he was gushing blood all over the place.

Austin almost immediately became one of the most popular wrestlers in the company, selling merchandise like crazy. He’d win the Tag titles with Dude Love, and eventually the IC title from Owen Hart. Sadly in the same match Austin would break his neck, and he’d never be quite the same in the ring again. He’d return to the ring months later, and was placed in an angle against the reigning world champion, Shawn Michaels and Degeneration-X.

In my opinion, the true start of the Attitude era was at Wrestlemania 14, where Steve Austin defeated the leader of the New Generation, Shawn Michaels for the World title. Michaels would never wrestle again. Austin was now the NUMBER ONE man in the company. His popularity soared to new heights, even passing Hulk freakin’ Hogan in merchandise sales! The Attitude era was truly here, built around the man who helped lay the foundation for it, Steve Austin.

Austin’s in-ring ability seemed to be fading away as the years went on. 1999 was a terrible year for him, with shitty angles against The Undertaker where he’d get crucified, while putting on crappy matches. Austin would get injured again, and was out of action for most of 2000. The WWF made up some retarded angle where Austin was hit by a car. Rikishi was revealed as the man who hit him months later, because “HE DID IT FOR DA ROCK! HE DID IT FOR DA PEOPLE.” Austin would take care of Rikishi, and soon set his sights on The Rock again. They’d clash at arguably the best Wrestlemania EVER, Wrestlemania X-7, in a stellar match, which Austin won turning heel. Austin’s heel run in 2001 was nothing short of brilliant, in terms of wrestling that is. People were questioning if Austin could still go. Austin silenced all the critics in 2001 with great matches against the likes of Chris Benoit, Kurt Angle, The Rock, and others. Austin would eventually team up with the Alliance, and contribute to making them look like weaklings, pushing them around like they were his personal bitches.

Austin would turn face again in the ranks of the WWF, and his “WHAT?” catchphrase would take off. It’s possibly the dumbest catchphrase ever, and it infested every single promo and even the national anthem. Austin’s popularity was again soaring, dispite the retardedness of the catchphrase.

Early in 2002, rumors were abuzz of Hulk Hogan, Scott Hall, and Kevin Nash coming aboard. Austin was obviously not happy with this, as he reportedly hates the clique, and HATES Hulk Hogan. At Wrestlemania X-8, Austin was placed in a midcard match against a man who he really did not want to face, Scott Hall. His spot was almost compromised, as The Rock squared off against Hulk Hogan, and Triple H squared off against Chris Jericho. I can see why Austin would be angry… Hall didn’t really belong in that match, he was getting the rub of his life. Hall was no longer the Hall of old either, he wasn’t capable of putting on a good match, and much to no one’s surprise, THEY DIDN’T have a good match. Austin was extremely pissed off, and didn’t show up at RAW. Vince let it slide, because ya know, they need Austin.

Austin was booked in more angles against the nWo, and things just got more repetitive and repetitive by the week. Austin and Bradshaw vs. The nWo seemed to be headlining RAW every week. The WWE’s product was no doubt getting more and more stale, and Austin noticed. He openly admitted his displeasure with the company in a Byte This interview, which was sort of unprofessional when you think about it.

Austin’s tale ended two weeks ago, as he was booked to have a match with Brock Lesnar, who is already gathering the reputation of a troublemaker. Austin didn’t show up at RAW, and apparently was fired. I can see Austin’s side of the story, but I really think that he should have been more loyal to the company that had given him so much. It was unprofessional behavior, and much like Montreal, it was a volatile situation that could have only lead to someone getting hurt. I for one am totally shocked that Steve Austin was fired. I had a feeling he was on his way out, but I didn’t think it would happen so soon. It’s almost scary that all of this is starting to happen already…

It’s awful ironic that Austin’s final match was against Ric Flair, a match we should have seen 7 or 8 years ago, but didn’t due to Hulk Hogan, who also ironically is employed by the WWE. Almost a symbolic end to the legacy that is The Rattlesnake.

Austin’s leave from the WWE sadly hasn’t been the last we’ve heard of him. Apparently he’s been accused of committing the crime of spousal abuse, as he beat on his wife Debra. There are conflicting reports about the entire situation, but what I get out of it is that Debra isn't pressing charges. Still, it’s sad to see what one of the true greats in our industry has become in such a short time. I wish Steve Austin and Debra the best of luck, and I hope they can work all of their problems out.

All my opinions on Austin aside, I will truly miss the man. Austin is a true great in the industry, and one of the greatest all around wrestlers I have ever seen. He’ll be missed by all. To quote Vince McMahon, “Thank you Steve Austin, thank you for all the memories.” Ironic that he said the same thing at Wrestlemania 8 when Hulk Hogan was suspected of leaving…

“Longfellow couldn’t have said it better.”

FakeRazorcolor>

Feedback? Hate Mail? Contact his Fakeness at [email protected]

Have an undying urge to talk to FakeRazor and others like him on a regular basis? Then head over to whacked Out wrestling, the best damn wrestling board out there!

Sign in to follow this