TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest HellSpawn

Best Batman Stories

Guest raptor

On the subject of anniversary books:

Uncanny X-Men #400. WORST ISSUE EVER.

'Twas so bad it was disrespectful to everybody who'd worked on any X-Men title ever.

Dunno how bad the Batman ones were, but isn't it kinda' shitty to celebrate a character's milestone if he isn't even in it (ie Azbats vs. Bane)?

Guest HellSpawn

Oh well, 2 points:

Bats #500 was the end of Knight Fall, thats why Batman Bruce Wayne is not in the book. But in the spirit of the word, Batman was in it :) .

And 'bout UXM #400...ugh Ashley Wood is just the tip of the iceberg of TMP ulgy picks for artist.

Guest Sassquatch

Just a little tidbit but Batman #500 (1993) was the last time that a Batman book had broken the Top 10 in comic books and Batman #608 just hit #1.

DC has something on their hands. Let's *hope* they don't fuck it up.

Guest HellSpawn

Sassquatch (from another thread):

"Batman: Best of the '70's TPB is another recommendation to get as it has lots of Neal Adams work along with the first appearance of Ra's Al Ghul in Batman.

Good stuff if you are a fan of Neal's. "

Do you havre this TPB? I saw it in a store and I have a few doubts, is all Neal/Denny ? how many stories are? the Ra's is the same as Demon's quest of Bats the Animated series?

Oh well, lets be more clear...

Can you (if you have the book) post the stories on that TPB?

Thanx.

Guest pochorenella
Hey pochorenella, I picked Sword of Azrael

Good for you, Hellspawn. I believe you won't be disappointed. I'm specially fond of the individual issue covers that are included. Great work by Joe Q.

Guest HellSpawn

I just got Tales of the Demon, and holy shit, is good, well, there are some color things and some voids in a couple of pages, but many stories are realy cool.

Im at the middle of the TPB but the next chapter is BTAS "Demons Quest" P.2, when Bats & Ras' fight in the desert, and still a few more yarns, one of them with Michael F'n Golden's art and a couple more from some Newton guy, cool stories.

I just have one question Sass, at the end of (I guess) #232, the 1st Ras al Ghul (BTAS "Demons Quest" P.1) Talia kissed Bruce and...

NOTHING !!!!

The next page is another story!!!

Do you know why?

Guest Sassquatch
Do you havre this TPB? I saw it in a store and I have a few doubts, is all Neal/Denny ? how many stories are? the Ra's is the same as Demon's quest of Bats the Animated series?

I do not own the Batman: The 70's TPB. I don't buy TPB's for the most part since I own most of the books that are in them.

Can you (if you have the book) post the stories on that TPB?

Unfortunately I can not. If someone were to find a listing of all the books in the TPB I'll see what I can do to help you HS.

Guest Sassquatch
I just have one question Sass, at the end of (I guess) #232, the 1st Ras al Ghul (BTAS "Demons Quest" P.1) Talia kissed Bruce and...

NOTHING !!!!

The next page is another story!!!

Do you know why?

The story from #232 was continued in Batman #243 & #244 where Batman fought both the League of Assassains and Ra's for the fate of the world (these issues were also made into a BTAS episode with Ra's fighting Batman in the desert and are almost exactly like the books).

Guest Sassquatch

I think another awesome Batman story is the "Going Sane" stroyline that ran through Batman: Legends of the Bat.

The premise is that the Joker finally becomes sane and becomes an accepted member of society and falls in love and gets every good thing possible happen to him. In the meantime Batman/Bruce Wayne slowly goes mad and becomes comitted to Arkham Asylum. The two have a showdown and damned if it isn't a killer.

Good stuff.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
I think another awesome Batman story is the "Going Sane" stroyline that ran through Batman: Legends of the Bat.

The premise is that the Joker finally becomes sane and becomes an accepted member of society and falls in love and gets every good thing possible happen to him. In the meantime Batman/Bruce Wayne slowly goes mad and becomes comitted to Arkham Asylum. The two have a showdown and damned if it isn't a killer.

Good stuff.

Doesn't Joker "kill" Batman in one of the early issues of that arc?

And it's Legends of the Dark Knight.

Guest Sassquatch
Doesn't Joker "kill" Batman in one of the early issues of that arc?

You'll have to ask someone else since I sold my issues #1 - #100 of LOTDK a couple years ago and I can't recall what you are asking.

And it's Legends of the Dark Knight.

We all make mistakes.

Even I do every now and then.

:P

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Your Iron man sig makes up for it though.

Who's in your avatar?

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

I bought Robin: Year One and like it alot. I was torn between that book and Batman: Year Two, but I just kept getting the feeling that the Batman book was some shit. I liked the Robin book because I have recently read the Long Hallwoeen. I think the two books compliment each other somewhat since one is about Harvey Dent and the other features Two Face as a villain.

Guest Sassquatch

Batman #608.

It's the start of a new storyline called "Hush" by new Bat creative team Jeph Loeb (writer) and Jim Lee (artist).

Start there.

Guest Mattdotcom

Batman #608 and the classic trade paperbacks are how I got back into comics. Go with the main series and stuff like The Long Halloween.

Guest Sassquatch

A HUGE recommendation and something I will never stop pimping:

Batman #300 - #403

Detective Comics #467 - #572

Buy as many of those issues as you can. I can NOT stress how awesome these issues are. Paul Dini has stated before in the past that his inspiration for 2/3's of the TV shows he did came from reading those books.

Batman was one of the most smokin comic book series' for DC during the 80's and is one of the most overlooked time periods in comics (I'm talking about before the Crisis hit in 1985).

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
I bought Robin: Year One and like it alot. I was torn between that book and Batman: Year Two, but I just kept getting the feeling that the Batman book was some shit. I liked the Robin book because I have recently read the Long Hallwoeen. I think the two books compliment each other somewhat since one is about Harvey Dent and the other features Two Face as a villain.

It's funny you should say that, Batman: Year Two, morso than his Spidey run, was what introduced the world to Todd McFarlane. Although by now it's cliche for him to play around with capes and how big Spidey's eyes were, I remember thinking that the way he drew Bats' cape was great. it changes size and shape with every panel. I think this quote from Dennis O'Neil sums it up best:

(McFarlane's Batman) ...is like an explosion of black glass.

Hell, he got so good at capes he created an entire character based on them... Spawn.

Guest Sassquatch

Toad's work isn't anything special looking back on it.

His work looked good back when most of the artists back then were all generic with no one really standing out when McFucker first hit it big. He helped influence a generation of artists but now a lot of them have imrpoved upon Toad's work/style which looks like nothing special now.

Robin: Tear One was also a great book but was 8 years too late in which DC should have released the book back when the "Prodigal" storyline was wrapping up which coincided with the story.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Toad's work isn't anything special looking back on it.

His work looked good back when most of the artists back then were all generic with no one really standing out when McFucker first hit it big. He helped influence a generation of artists but now a lot of them have imrpoved upon Toad's work/style which looks like nothing special now.

Robin: Tear One was also a great book but was 8 years too late in which DC should have released the book back when the "Prodigal" storyline was wrapping up which coincided with the story.

I'm of the opinion that my personal opinion of an artist/writer should never effect my opinion of said artist/writer's work. If that were the case, I'd never be able to enjoy Larsen's work on Spidey, anything Stan Lee has done, etc.

I was speaking about how Year Two introduced McFarlane, and how at the time it was a revolutionary style. I agree it hasn't aged well.

Guest Sassquatch

It's not a matter of my dislike towards McFarlane.

His work on Batman was nothing special as guys before him had done a better job with making the character look like he was about to leap out of the pages. He didn't influence any artists who would later work on Batman while someone like Neal Adams has been credited by former Batman artists as being the measuring stick for how the character should look when drawn.

I have seen better renditions of Batman by other artists than McFarlane which is why I do not think that his work on Batman was as great as you feel it is.

But hey, if you think McFarlane's Batman was something unqiue or great, go right on ahead but I recommend you read more copies of Batman books by other artists before you decide to put McFarlane up on a pedistol. I'm not trying to say you don't read Batman but rather you should expand your horizons with a wider range of material from the various artists who have worked on Batman.

Just saying.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
It's not a matter of my dislike towards McFarlane.

His work on Batman was nothing special as guys before him had done a better job with making the character look like he was about to leap out of the pages.  He didn't influence any artists who would later work on Batman while someone like Neal Adams has been credited by former Batman artists as being the measuring stick for how the character should look when drawn.

I have seen better renditions of Batman by other artists than McFarlane which is why I do not think that his work on Batman was as great as you feel it is.

But hey, if you think McFarlane's Batman was something unqiue or great, go right on ahead but I recommend you read more copies of Batman books by other artists before you decide to put McFarlane up on a pedistol.  I'm not trying to say you don't read Batman but rather you should expand your horizons with a wider range of material from the various artists who have worked on Batman.

Just saying.

Neal Adams is my all-time favorite artist. I don't think McFarlane is even in his league.

I've read a lot of Batman, and I happen to enjoy Todd's work. That's all.

EDIT: I realized I sounded mildly retarded.

Guest Austin3164life

I think everything since "No Man's Land" has been pretty damn good. Batman has become the best comic (not to mention best seller) because it's unusually consistent and very good. Best Batman stories are kind of obvious though:

1. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (can actually rank as arguably the greatest comic series ever alongside Watchmen)

2. Batman: Year One

3. Batman: Knightfall

4. Batman: Bruce Wayne Murderer/Fugitive

These are my opinions. Batman is probably my childhood hero icon, and I'm loving his stuff the past couple of years. Kudos to DC for hooking Rucka, Brubaker, Loeb, and Lee.

Guest Sassquatch

If you can gather up the cash, I highly recommend you go out and buy:

Batman: Son of the Demon

Batman: Birth of the Demon

Batman: Bride of the Demon

These books belong to the Demon's Head trilogy which had Batman getting Talia (Ra's Al Ghul's daughter and Batman bad guy) pregnant along with Batman joining forces with ra's to help bring down one of Ra's former top guys before he eradicates life on earth.

Awesome stuff.