TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Incandenza

Shit You Listened to Today

Guest evenflowDDT
Anyone else been listening to a lot of Clash lately?

Surprisingly, I haven't. I miss Joe a lot but haven't put on any of his records. I did hear "London Calling" on the radio though and got the chills. Probably why I couldn't put on any Clash albums, unless it was something more poppy like "Rock the Casbah" (although I've personally never liked that song very much). As for what I have been listening to...

c7407793c03.jpg

Although there are some good offerings from Bentley Rhythm Ace, Req, and Leuroj, the majority of this album is electronica elevator muzak - too slow to dance/rave to, too long, inconsistent, and many of the songs are just plain annoying (particularly Fatboy Slim's "Santa Cruz" - why does the song named after my town gotta suck? Thank goodness for Camper Van Beethoven!)

e8539766pwk.jpg

I've really been digging the song "Miracle Man" as of late. Oh, and I've been spinning "Welcome to the Working Week" a lot to commemorate the 8-hour days I haven't been used to working, even though now that Christmas is over my sloth and laziness has been taking over and I've actually had three straight days off (then again, two of them were Christmas eve and Christmas day) - my most ever, and my last day of work is tomorrow or Monday. Anyway, I don't like this album near as much as I used to, and I don't even make it past "Alison" anymore, although I heard "Waiting for the End of the World" last time I played it and I think I'm selling that one short, and maybe "Angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes".

f42259uy58r.jpg

Figured I'd give this one another listen. Still disappointing. I'm thinking of trading it in or hawking it for the "Get Dis Money" single, since that's the song that sold me on SV in the first place. "Tainted" isn't even that great a single.

d10682ba7hr.jpg

I'm sure it comes off as a joke when I tell most people, but "Rio" really is my favorite song of all time, and despite not owning any of their "proper" albums (since to me they're primarily a "singles" band), Duran Duran is one of my favorite bands. This album is always in constant rotation.

Don't worry Inc, I'll try and remember to feed the thread so it won't die. I'm a pretty good babysitter.

Guest Incandenza

Don't sweat it. I'll continue to use the one at Pitchfork.

Anywho, here's what I've accomplished so far today:

c85683wu047.jpg f42669p0pkv.jpg

f175564rhvi.jpg

Goddamn, that Neko Case is hot. Music ain't bad, either.

Guest evenflowDDT

How is When I Was Cruel? I've never heard anything off it or its accompanying "this is the remix - erm, but for rock!" Cruel Smile. Scratch that, if "Spooky Girlfriend" is on it I've heard a live version of that but nothing else. Local radio station KFOG only plays Costello up to Spike, and usually only "Alison" (of course).

Guest Incandenza
When I Was Cruel rocks. Expect it in Top 10 list for 2002, which will be up on the main page next week.

Guest Incandenza

The time is drawing near....

Since I last posted, the following has graced my cd player:

e1936371tkg.jpg f42669p0pkv.jpg

I really like this Neko Case album. She's a wonderful singer/songwriter, and she's hot:

neko1.jpeg NekoCase.jpg

I think I'm in love.

Guest Incandenza

Man, Neko Case is hot. Anyway, here's what I listened to on the last day of 2002:

c35133kjxgq.jpg f47678o6mny.jpg

d78621r2r75.jpg f55532wr7xh.jpg

now playing:

c39267a3i13.jpg

Guest Flyboy

*is getting scared*

What about Guns N' Roses?

Alanis Morissette?

Avril Lavigne?

Oh, man... am I black? *stratches skin to see if it will peel off revealing a different color*

Guest Incandenza

I was kidding about the Costello one. I know one (1) guy other than you.

Guest Incandenza

Eh, don't worry about it. You're your own man! You make your own rules and listen to what you want, not what the record companies think someone in your demographic should listen to!

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

This is so, so very good...

f59274hxdrb.jpg

And this is pretty wonderful too.

d41343ug37t.jpg

I'm really loving Live 1975. It's not as obviously ground-breaking as the "Royal Albert Hall" show with The Band, but it's great to hear stuff from Blood On The Tracks and Desire in full-on rip-roarin' arrangements.

Guest evenflowDDT

Wow, now that I'm back on college ethernet, this thread has become SOOOO much easier. I should probably post everything I've been listening to since, but I'll follow the rules like a good little boy. Every good boy deserves fudge.

c86194mnj91.jpg

Only R.E.M. I own. Not bad, not bad at all. The '80s stuff is probably a million gazillion times better though, although I'll admit all I've heard is "It's the End of the World as we Know it (and I feel fine)", which I enjoy less and less each time I hear it. It once seemed so clever. What happened?

d52341969mf.jpg

AllMusic calls this a "frustrating mess" but it's a pretty decent compilation. Unfortunately, my Winamp's random play has been fucking up (pardon the language) all day, and it only ended up playing the two Pearl Jam songs, Wallflowers, and Peter Gabriel the whole time. It played RATM's cover of "Ghost of Tom Joad" (sorry to say I've never heard the original) and the Korn remix (which I used to like a lot more but now, paying close attention, realize is still tolerable but nowhere near as great or inventive as I once thought it was) once maybe. Stupid non-working random play. It works fine for my 500+ MP3s... maybe just because there are less tracks on a CD that it skips back and forth so much?

Guest evenflowDDT

Yech. Why?

Oh, that No Boundaries album made me realize that after Yield (hey, I liked "Wishlist" and "Do the Evolution"...) Eddie Vedder should've just quit and formed a '50s-era cover band. I think he's got a beautiful voice for those covers, but other than those two Yield songs I've been pretty much indifferent to their post-Vitalogy material. Almost everything before that was and still is gold though.

Guest MrRant

Because the baby likes that song and she was screaming because she has an ear infection. Its kindof a nice song if you listen to it.

Guest evenflowDDT

Oh, OK. That's sweet then, although I'm sorry to hear about her ear infection, I hope it's better by now.

Now then, as for my contributions for today... I've been reading/studying all day (shudder the thought), so I've had only a couple, fairly ambient hip-hop LP's on all day...

d56950d4797.jpg

e736063h3dn.jpg

...and a jazz compilation that wasn't listed at AllMusic so I can't grab the cover art.