TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dangerous A

Do you believe there is a leftist bias

Guest Jobber of the Week
CNN used to be quite liberal, but they've moved in a much more moderate direction for the last few years.

Do you think that might be that they were biased towards the democrat president, then biased towards the republican president?

Guest JMA
Do you think that might be that they were biased towards the democrat president, then biased towards the republican president?

I think that's the case with a lot of networks. However, I don't think it is the case with CNN. I consider the CNN today to be "fair and balanced," unlike Fox News.

Guest DrTom

I thought they had a liberal bias before Clinton took office. I think their shift is that they no longer reflect the politics of Ted Turner. Once he stepped away more from day-to-day involvement in his cable news channel, CNN moved toward a more moderate and centrist position. I probably don't watch CNN quite as much as Fox, but it's something I can actually sit down and watch now, and doing that in the past was difficult.

Besides, Wolf Blitzer has the coolest fucking name in cable news.

Guest Kotzenjunge

Try "coolest fucking name on the planet."

Guest JMA
I probably don't watch CNN quite as much as Fox, but it's something I can actually sit down and watch now, and doing that in the past was difficult.

Call me crazy, but wouldn't an unbiased channel (CNN) be better than a biased channel (FOX News)? Anyways, I think in the pre-Reagan America "conservative" was seen as a dirty-word in politics. Then Reagan came in and changed all that. You may not like the man or his politics (and I for one don't) but he did do a lot for his respective camp. BTW, when was the last time we had a non conservative Republican as President? Again, where are all the moderate and liberal Republicans?

Guest Vern Gagne

Try "coolest fucking name on the planet."

How about Loch Gates.

Guest Kotzenjunge

The last moderate Republican was probably Eisenhower, and I only say that based on the Little Rock stuff.

Sorry Vern, Wolf Blitzer rules the world.

Guest DrTom
Call me crazy, but wouldn't an unbiased channel (CNN) be better than a biased channel (FOX News)?

That's a matter of perspective. Since you don't seem to pay attention too closely, you apparently missed my saying that I watch Fox News because I don't mind their bias. My caveat with them is that I wish they'd own up to it instead of claiming to not have one. But their slant doesn't bother me at all. CNN is a good alternative, and certainly worlds better than they used to be.

Guest JMA
Since you don't seem to pay attention too closely, you apparently missed my saying that I watch Fox News because I don't mind their bias.

No, I remember you saying you didn't mind the bias. So I have no problems paying attention. I was commenting on you saying you still watched FOX more. Hope this clears things up. I'm not too familiar with Wolf Blitzer. I know he has a beard and works on CNN, but that's it. What are some of his policies?

Guest Kotzenjunge

He doesn't have policies. He's a straight-up reporter who's worked his way up from White House correspondent to having his own 5 PM show on CNN. I'm a big fan of the guy.

Guest Olympic Slam
The last moderate Republican was probably Eisenhower, and I only say that based on the Little Rock stuff.

Uh, what about George W? If they guy were any more in the center he'd break in two. It baffles me that people actually think of Bush as some sort of radical right winger.

Guest Kotzenjunge

I don't think he's a radical right winger, but he sure as hell isn't a moderate. Eisenhower was the transitional Republican President, as they went from being the leftist party they were in the early part of the century to the right party they are today. He's a moderate Republican, but he isn't a moderate on the entire scale.

Guest JMA
Uh, what about George W? If they guy were any more in the center he'd break in two. It baffles me that people actually think of Bush as some sort of radical right winger.

Bush is a conservative. He's vehemently opposed to abortion, pro-death penalty, doesn't like gay marriage or adoption, ect.

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

So I guess it's fair to call someone who's vehemently in favor of killing the unborn, allowing murderers to live and allowing gay marriage/adoption a liberal.

"I don't think he's a radical right winger, but he sure as hell isn't a moderate. Eisenhower was the transitional Republican President, as they went from being the leftist party they were in the early part of the century to the right party they are today"

If I'm wrong on this someone correct me, but weren't both Partys courting Ike because of his war hero status, and he eventually sided w/ the GOP?...

Guest Kotzenjunge

Since you made the thunderingly ignorant statement that liberals are in favor of killing unborn children, I don't think I really need to respond to you, but I will.

Yes, they were both courting him, but within his policies he was moderate. Both parties were at the liberal/conservative crossroads in 1952, with the Civil Rights movement shortly afterward allowing them to polarize again.

Guest JMA
So I guess it's fair to call someone who's vehemently in favor of killing the unborn

Grow up, man. More than half of this folder is pro-choice (including myself). Are you saying more than half the folder supports "killing" the "unborn"? The thing is, being pro-choice is just what it sounds like. Pro-CHOICE, not pro-ABORTION. How would YOU like it if someone started calling you Anti-choice?

Guest Jobber of the Week

I'm going to be somewhat critical here and say the main problem I've seen with this board from time to time is people who tow their party line or bow to stereotypes too much.

* Just because someone is pro-life, does NOT mean they're conservative and/or a Republican

* Just because someone wants equal treatment for gay people, doesn't mean they're a liberal and/or a Democrat.

Also, George W Bush is not the bar for telling someone's political affiliations. There is plenty of people who disagree with him from various spectrums of the right, from the more-center minded, to the far far FAR right (think Buchanan here.)

A number of, ah, I guess you could say "heavies" in this forum though do break the mold. Off the top of my mind I can think of Kotzen and DrTom.

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

"Since you made the thunderingly ignorant statement that liberals are in favor of killing unborn children, I don't think I really need to respond to you, but I will."

"Grow up, man. More than half of this folder is pro-choice (including myself). Are you saying more than half the folder supports "killing" the "unborn"?

Oh boy, time to abort this topic before it grows limbs.

I've given my 2 cents on abortion many times in this folder -- I'm pro-life, but I don't think (nor really care) if/when Roe v Wade will be overturned *shrugs.*

Want to take me on regarding this any further? Just PM me because abortion arguements are just redundant.

For the record: Pro-life, anti-death penalty, supporter of gay adoption/civil union (not marriage).

BTW: Call me anti-choice if you want -- I've been called a lot worse...

Guest Spicy McHaggis

That article makes itself extremely weak when it calls the NY Times, Washington Post, and the big 3 "conservative".

Guest Tyler McClelland

If you would have read it, it says both of those have significant conservative journalism basis, not that they're conservative.

Frankly, the article is correct. There are conservative journalists in each of those publications; you don't get a completely liberal or conservative slant anywhere but Faux News.

Guest LooseCannon

I've been thinking about this. At first I wanted to make some quibbles. Ford was definitely rather moderate, and a lot of people consider the elder Bush rather moderate. But thinking upon the question more, I've come to agree with you. Ever since Nixon adopted the "southern strategy," Republican presidents have been varying degrees of Conservative.

Guest Jobber of the Week
I watch Fox News because I don't mind their bias. My caveat with them is that I wish they'd own up to it instead of claiming to not have one.

Screaming "BIASED NEWS!! GET YOUR BIAS HERE FIRST!" doesn't equal ratings.

Although I do wish they'd stop parading around how politically equal they are every 30 second.

Guest Spicy McHaggis
...you don't get a completely liberal or conservative slant anywhere but Faux News.

That's straight bullshit. You're liberal so you think a liberal slant is the status quo. As a general rule, if I agree with everything being said with a few exceptions (usually me being pro-legalized drugs) I assume the content is slanted toward my politics. This is why I readily admit the conservative slant of Fox. And that legitimizes my arguments of liberal slants in other media outlets.

Guest Vern Gagne

Why do you think Liberal Talk Radio shows haven't taken off like Conservative ones. Mario Cuomo and Jim Hightower's are just two examples of liberals who tried to talk radio shows, and failed.

Guest JMA
Frankly, the article is correct. There are conservative journalists in each of those publications; you don't get a completely liberal or conservative slant anywhere but Faux News.

The man has a point.

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

Yawn. I stopped reading this piece of crap from the Nation (redundancy, to be sure) when this guy said Goldberg was part of the right "liberal media" propaganda machine.

But of course, I'm sure some here view the Nation as a "moderate" publication...

Guest JMA
That's straight bullshit. You're liberal so you think a liberal slant is the status quo. As a general rule, if I agree with everything being said with a few exceptions (usually me being pro-legalized drugs) I assume the content is slanted toward my politics. This is why I readily admit the conservative slant of Fox. And that legitimizes my arguments of liberal slants in other media outlets.

First off, calm down, Spicy. Secondly, tell me, what makes someone a liberal, and for matter, what makes someone a conservative? Are all conservatives pro-life? No. Are all conservatives Bible-thumpers? No. Are all liberals non-Christians? No. So, tell me: What do YOU think liberalism and conservitism to be about?

Guest JMA
Why do you think Liberal Talk Radio shows haven't taken off like Conservative ones. Mario Cuomo and Jim Hightower's are just two examples of liberals who tried to talk radio shows, and failed.

Conservatives are more entertaining because they yell like they have tourettes. There will soon be a Liberal Democratic radio-station. Frankly, it will be an oasis from the usual raving idiots on talk-radio.