TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Downhome

Ok, is if finally safe to say that hulk hogan is..

Guest Downhome

After the past week, I'd have to say so. I believe that his return, and the reactions have PROVEN that he is indeed the most over wrestler of all time. Over Rocky, Austin, and everyone else who want to name. I mean seriously, it's just amazing and I'm simply shocked at his reaction. We all know what happened at WM and on RAW with his HUGE LEGENDARY reactions, but...

...what did you think of him on SD? Just the mere showing him walking down the hall had the crowd in a spastic fit from what I hear.

I just wanted to see what you guys think about this...

...do YOU think it's FINALLY safe to say that Hogan is indeed, the most over wrestler of all time?

Sincerely,

...Downhome...

Guest goodhelmet

He is indeed the most over wrestler.....in Canada.

I'll reserve my judgement when he returns stateside because he was not receiving those pops prior to Mania.

Hey, I'm just as shocked as all the other smarks over Hogan's reception at Mania but I'm still not sold on the Orange one yet.

Guest KOR420

In Canada everything is backwards,Hogan will get a decent pop in the states but not as big as he did in Canada it's too late though they have already de valued the nWo angle its really fucked now

Guest goodhelmet

In all fairness to our canadian brothers up north, they did produce benoit, owen, bret and jericho. so they're not that backwards.

Guest BA_Baracus

Uhm...

...no, that's not safe to say.

Where was this Hogan pop a week ago?  Where will it be in a week?

I don't see it lasting.  It's pure nostalgia.  Meanwhile people have been popping Austin nearly that loud for the past 4 years (with the exception of the 6 months he was heel).

Plus let's not forget wrestlers from other parts of the world...

Guest notJames

Shall I continue beating the dead Orange horse?

Maybe if you change it to  "he is indeed the most overrated wrestler of all time" it would be more accurate. Like everyone else said, let's see how he fares outside the Hulk-friendly confines of the Great White North.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if his pops were louder than the anemic responses to Our Undisputed Champion...

;)

Guest MARTYEWR

Baracus pretty much said it all. At Smackdown, my friends and I pretty much popped for Hogan simply for nostalgic reasons. Everyone's nostalgic reasons may vary, but my own reasons are that I'd like to see him go out in a much better way than he did in WCW. Like him or not, Hogan is a huge contributor to what wrestling is now and deserves a much better exit than what Vince Russo gave him.

Guest mastermind

It amazes me how people just have to rip Hogan no matter what. Ummm, people weren't popping for Austin 4 years straight. Did I miss something or didn't Rock rival Austin? You might have not heard Austin sucks, but he didn't have full super pops all these years. It was reported in some areas like Detroit Rock was getting the bigger reaction prior to WrestleMania 17. When Austin returned in 2000 his pops weren't close to what Hogan has received recently. I will admit I will reserve my answer until he gets Stateside. I do remember though that Hogan's appearance on RAW was getting face heat when Rock challenged him and that was after he told the fans to kiss his red and yellow backside. I was saying to myself this could backfire if Hogan is getting chants after cussing out the hulkamaniacs. I think it just extended into Mania. I mean it was also reported people were cheering on RAW when Hogan gave Rock the leg drop and pinned him. I also saw people popping when Hogan ripped his shirt and said the famous whatchya gonna do? line on the last Smackdown before Mania.I see the point about this being nostalgic though. It has to do with respect for Hogan as well amongst the casual fans. I will say it would be pretty interesting to see Hogan and Austin in a promo throwing barbs at each other and who the fans back more. Austin has the advantage with the WHAT craze although it's dying down.

Guest mastermind

Hey we aren't backwards up here *lol*.  I mean the fans didn't actually cheer for Rock when the match was billed as to decide the best ever. Rock hasn't done as much as Hogan for the business as long as Hogan has. If you really look at it the fans were cheering the real person who deserved that title WITHIN that match. Old or young regardless.

Hey, we can't be backwards when we got our radio stations having 4 hours of wrestling talk over Saturday and Sunday combined with insiders and "smarts" calling in. We get info straight from the mouth of Meltzer instead of the world wide web of misinformation. We have to get some kind of praise for that. At least I hope*lol*. We also gave you Jack Tunney and two memorable WrestleMania shows.

We also gave you guys The Rock who has somehow forgot his father lives in Scarborough in Toronto. I guess he has also forgot his family in Regent Park as well although I bet he probably visited them when he was here last weekend. Or maybe he stayed in his posh hotel and forgot he's a Johnson and not movie star and wrestler The Rock.

Bret, Benoit, Owen, Jericho(who proclaimed his Canadian pride on sports network), Christian and Edge the best tag team of this era according to net fans, big valbowski, Trish, and Test. Okay, I lost all credibility by saying Test *lol*. You win we are backwards.

Guest Tony149

If they don't have Hogan wrestle every week, and they don't overexpose him on TV ie. like Steph, then his pop will last a while.

IS IT SAFE TO SAY THAT HULK HOGAN IS A FRIGGIN OLD BAG AND SHOULD JUST GIVE UP AND EAT HIS MAALOX

Guest GatesFTW

Hulk is ok, but what i really wanna know is Is the Thing's schlong made out of orange rock just like the rest of his body?

Guest muzanisa

I wanna see Austin/Hulk just for the reaction.

and can Mr Fantastic stretch every part of his body?

Guest converge241
I wanna see Austin/Hulk just for the reaction.

I agree. I think that those two are the most over of all time, regardless of how i feel about either.

Now seeing the reaction that Hulk got at Wrestlemania 18, can you imagine NOW what it would have been like if BRET HART was the special guest referee for the World Title match?

The crowd would certainly not have been dead, and being in Canada, that response would have been absolutely fuckin monstrous. Then they could have done a better finish, such as maybe Vince getting involved to try to get Jericho to win the title, then Hart ringing the bell and disqualifying Jericho, letting HHH win and locking the sharpshooter on McMahon.

As a matter of fact, ok that finish was pretty crappy and I came up with it in 5 seconds, but what finish in the past year HASN'T been come up with in 5 seconds?

I still say Hart would have definitely outpopped Hogan. So is Hogan the most over wrestler of all time? To put it simply, no. Austin is. Let me tell you the reason why. Wrestling nowadays is money, money, money, and back in the 80's it was more family-oriented as we all know. When Hogan left for WCW, in `93 ( I think ) WCW's ratings didn't pop right away. When Austin got famous, he was revitalizing a company that had ZERO true main eventers besides Hart and Michaels, both of whom Austin worked programs with. Oh yeah and Undertaker. Always forget about him.

When Hogan became famous, he had a great environment to work under in regards to how the WWF marketed him. When Austin became famous, he did things that noone ever said would get him over as a face, but he did anyways, and the fans loved hm even more for it. The start of an era, or the return of an era? I think the return of the golden age of wrestling with DX, nWo, Austin 3:!6 vs. McMahon and the Corporation had far more reaching proportions than Hulkamania ever has, or ever will have.

Guest converge241

Please, If Bret had shown up we'd all be deaf now from just watching it on TV. That place would have errupted. Im sure Vince was thinking that when the crowd was dead during the final 2 matches.

backstage after the rock - hogan match:

Hogan: boy Vince you hear that crowd for me?

Rock: yeah they were pretty loud. hey vince, whi is it so dead out there now?

Vince: SHUT UP!!!! im trying to get a jet that can fly Bret in here before the main event!!! :)

Guest Human Fly

I know a lot of people, even when WCW was running high, that just flat out refused to watch it. For those people this is the first time that they've really seen Hogan in a long time. Also, in Canada WCW was hardly there. (Mayhem ppv and a Nitro are the only examples I can think of off hand), Given how the WWF runs, and with Hogans time off between Wrestlemania 8 and 9 this was probably the first chance people had to see Hogan in person since before Wrestlemania 8. I think that was a big reason his pops were so big. In two weeks I think the real test wil be how his popularity is holding up then. It helps that he'll only be on tv once a week though.

Guest goodhelmet

You know, it's quite possible that the WWF was trying to get Bret Hart to appear in the title match up until the last moment, thus justifying putting the World Title in the last slot. Just a thought.

Guest Xstasy

He is... the most over wrestler ever.  The biggest icon in the biz.  But anyone who doubts it couldn't have grown up in the 80s.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I'll tell you what.

If Hogan gets an immediate depush...curtain jerks against Test and then is involved in 6 man tags for the next 2 months that go nowhere...and is STILL over....then you've got something

Guest cobainwasmurdered

hogan is not the most over wrestler ever. the shows were in Canada we canadians love old school wrestlers. if Bret Hart had showed up, he'd have made hogan's pop look like the reaction Test gets.

the pops will last a while and then fade........

Guest goodhelmet

"If Hogan gets an immediate depush...curtain jerks against Test and then is involved in 6 man tags for the next 2 months that go nowhere...and is STILL over....then you've got something"

NO SHIT!

If RVD were given half the push Hogan or Trips or Austin in his prime then his pops would rival that of the Rock or Austin or Hogan (outside of Canada).

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I think that Hogan will get some good pops in the US too...

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Although I have stated before that I, myself am enjoying the Hogan stuff.  So I say:  Good for him.  Make as much money as you can off of him while he's hot.

But always question in the back of your mind...If RVD is more over than HHH despite HHH getting the mega push...how over would RVD be WITH the mega push.  It seems worth it to find out.

Guest goodhelmet

"Good for him.  Make as much money as you can off of him while he's hot."

Hey, it may make the WWF money but I personally don't want to see him in the ring. That's another reason I'm pushing for the WWF in limiting the matches he wrestles. Only let Hogan wrestle at PPVs or once in a long while. The less he wrestles, the better it will be for wrestling and for the fans ...er...smarks.

Guest godthedog

i, for one, can't understand why hogan wouldn't let the 'mania match just be his last one.  sunday i was really hoping he wouldn't wrestle again, because it was never going to get any better than that.  it probably would've been the greatest true farewell moment for a wrestler ever, but he still insists on having more matches.

Guest Flyboy
But too much too soon. Look at Kurt.

I don't think it would be to much too soon-- RVD's been in the business longer than Kurt.  

Take for example the push RVD was getting in ECW.  The time he held the ECW TV Title, and was STILL getting major pops.  Maybe if the WWF were pushing him more...

Just my opinion.

Guest godthedog

and about hogan actually being over: i don't doubt he's the most over wrestler right now, but he's riding on a wave of nostalgia & it will wear off.  i'm sure if steve austin left the federation for 9 years, when he returned he'd be more over than hogan is right now.