TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

In Shawn Michaels' book, did he acknowledge One Night Only at all? I ask since I always felt getting the finish to that match changed at the last minute after Bulldog had already dedicated the match to his dying sister at ringside was far lower than any Montreal nonsense. Not to mention Michaels rubbing it in afterwards.

The Outsiders has their own set made after Hall and Syxx lost the titles to the Steiners.

actually those new belts debuted months before the steiners beat syxx and hall. Inexplicably on the night of the title change, syxx and hall wore the old tag belts. So I guess WCW tried to act like we hadn't seen those belts before and the outsiders had them made after the title loss. Before SB, the outsiders actually had won the titles back and then wore both, the steiners quickly regained them (despite friction between the steiners by way of scott being a glory hog, setting up the turn), and took both belts, so that's why they had them at Superbrawl.

Was Vince really considering Zeus vs Hogan for the Main Event at WMVI? I had always heard that Warrior was pretty much penciled in right after SummerSlam '89 to become the new champ. Looking back in hindsight obviously it was the wrong call, but I could certainly see at the time how it made sense

I don't think Zeus Vs Hogan was ever set in stone as a 'Mania event...I think Vince might have thought that if the feud had worked out well enough, Zeus/Hogan could work as the main event WrestleMania VI but like I said I don't think it was ever set in stone. Just a possible avenue to go down (I believe Hogan/Perfect was another potential WrestleMania VI main event).

I figure Vince's mindset at the time is that No Holds Barred is gonna be the biggest movie of all time and he'd be stupid to not run a rematch from the movie as the main event of Mania.

The Outsiders has their own set made after Hall and Syxx lost the titles to the Steiners.

actually those new belts debuted months before the steiners beat syxx and hall. Inexplicably on the night of the title change, syxx and hall wore the old tag belts. So I guess WCW tried to act like we hadn't seen those belts before and the outsiders had them made after the title loss. Before SB, the outsiders actually had won the titles back and then wore both, the steiners quickly regained them (despite friction between the steiners by way of scott being a glory hog, setting up the turn), and took both belts, so that's why they had them at Superbrawl.

I remember when WCW did the finals for the vacant Tag Team Titles at SuperBrawl IX. They had the new version of the belts in a case at the entrance. Tony Schiavone said, "Take a look at the NEW WCW World Tag Team Titles!" I remember watching it and thinking, "Hey wait a minute. Those aren't new. Those are the same titles they have been using for years now!"

I figure Vince's mindset at the time is that No Holds Barred is gonna be the biggest movie of all time and he'd be stupid to not run a rematch from the movie as the main event of Mania.

I think Perfect going over Hogan at Royal Rumble would have been better, then Warrior could have beat Perfect at WM6 and then he wouldn't have had to worry about all the Hogan marks not supporting him. Maybe that would have made Warrior's title reign more lucrative in the end, who knows? But as we all know the WWF just didn't do business that way. No way were they having a WrestleMania without Hogan in the main event

Well, I think in hindsight they made the right decision going with Warrior/Hogan. It's just that Warrior had nowhere to really go after winning the Championship.

Well, I think in hindsight they made the right decision going with Warrior/Hogan. It's just that Warrior had nowhere to really go after winning the Championship.

Definitely..like you said looking back 19 years later its easy to say Warrior was the wrong choice, but back then it was THE dream match, not to mention Vince's cashcow. I remember watching Warrior's first TV title defense on SNME against Haku and 2 minutes into the match they had to darken the entire arena to cover up the empty seats, not to mention pump in tons of canned heat. Guess the writing was on the wall early

The Rock turned the corner shortly after Summerslam 1998. He had a match on Raw where he beat Kane clean, despite Undertaker trying to fuck him over. The fans went nuts when he won. That was pretty much the true sign.

There was also that match on RAW where if The Rock didn't beat Mark Henry, he'd be fired.

In Shawn Michaels' book, did he acknowledge One Night Only at all? I ask since I always felt getting the finish to that match changed at the last minute after Bulldog had already dedicated the match to his dying sister at ringside was far lower than any Montreal nonsense. Not to mention Michaels rubbing it in afterwards.

Shawn does not mention Davey's dying sister at all. Not even once. He makes it out to sound like Bulldog did not want to lose because it was in the U.K.

Was Vince really considering Zeus vs Hogan for the Main Event at WMVI?

No. It was planned to be Hogan/Warrior for a long time, probably back to when the decision was made to have Warrior squash HTM for the IC title.

Shawn does not mention Davey's dying sister at all. Not even once. He makes it out to sound like Bulldog did not want to lose because it was in the U.K.

Which makes you wonder how much Shawn really has changed.

Was the dissention between Heenan and the Brainbusters supposed to lead to anything, or was it purely part of the Busters leaving and a way to write them out?

You answered your own question. I remember reading that not so long ago.

Was the dissention between Heenan and the Brainbusters supposed to lead to anything, or was it purely part of the Busters leaving and a way to write them out?

You answered your own question. I remember reading that not so long ago.

Yep that was the basic jist of it. Tully had failed a drug test right before Survivor Series and Arn had given his notice that they were headed back to the NWA, so I believe on the SNME taping they had Heenan "fire" them after they lost to the Rockers to kayfabe the exit

I'm assuming if Warrior didn't leave in 1991 it would've been Team Warrior Vs. Team Roberts at Survivor Series?

Yeah thats probably what would have happened...I have always wondered why they didn't just stick Savage in to replace Sid Justice once he got injured. Guess they wanted to build up the epic Tuesday in Texas ppv as much as possible ;)

Also ironic how Earthquake was on Jake's team even though just a few months earlier he squashed Damien!

Also ironic how Earthquake was on Jake's team even though just a few months earlier he squashed Damien!

I remember that really bugged me as a kid. Seemed like a really blatant lack of thinking. I guess I assumed that the evil Jake didn't care about his old snake, or something.

Has anyone else noticed that Dean Malenko has a habit of rubbing his wrist and then flicking his right arm out on the way to the ring? What was with that? He ALWAYS did that.

Never noticed that, but he was always a stickler when it came to checking the integrity of his wrist tape.

So I just watched a promo to build to the Orton-Edge Vengence IC match, and Edge something about going through evolution one by one. Was that the original booking plan until Toronto turned on him, and he became a whining heel?

So I just watched a promo to build to the Orton-Edge Vengence IC match, and Edge something about going through evolution one by one. Was that the original booking plan until Toronto turned on him, and he became a whining heel?

Yeah. The original plan for Edge when he came back in 2004 was to eventually go head-to-head with Triple H in a feud that, I presume, HHH would have come out on top in. I say that mainly because I never heard of any plans for Edge to actually beat HHH, just feud with him.

The kayfabe reason for Sid vs. Hogan was that Hogan cost Sid the WWF title at the Rumble, then Sid interfered in a few matches before turning heel on him on a SNME. Like Bret vs. Austin at WM13, it was billed to mean more than a title, it was personal.

The real reason that he didn't get into a title match is that he was "retiring" or leaving for a little while at least. He filmed Mr. Nanny and didn't return until 1993.

Sting never once came close to going to the WWF while WCW was still around. But he admitted that he was very, very close to going a few times after WCW died.

In fact, he was so close to going in 2003, Vince told the creative team to start coming up with ideas for a HHH/Sting feud. But he backed out and they went after Goldberg instead. He also said that before he agreed to go to TNA full-time, Vince was practically begging him to come in and face The Undertaker at WM22. Sting ultimately declined and he ended up facing Mark Henry in a shitty casket match.

He said all the times he's talked to Vince, Vince has always been really nice to him.

Yeah, I remember seeing an interview where Sting said he had everyone around him telling him to join WWE (after WCW died) and he had a couple of meetings with Vince but the dealbreaker was watching guys like Booker and DDP getting buried at that time. He said he knew that Vince was lying to him and would have done him the same way. I agree with him. There's certainly no way they would have let him go over Undertaker at Mania.

Why wasn't Barry Windham at Survivor Series 1989? I know he was booked on Macho Man's team but instead they had Earthquake take his place. Was this just a case of wanting to get Earthquake on the card to begin his push or was there a reason real life reason Windham wasn't there?

Why wasn't Barry Windham at Survivor Series 1989? I know he was booked on Macho Man's team but instead they had Earthquake take his place. Was this just a case of wanting to get Earthquake on the card to begin his push or was there a reason real life reason Windham wasn't there?

Windham jumped back to the NWA.