TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Guest thrall585
Bob was a 42 years old and a Former World Champ who Vince had no plans for in the near future (Other than house show matches with Shongo and Kim Chee among others)

He was 43 at the time

Guest Boo_Bradley

*Bows* Gives up his "Clown Prince of Old School" Crown... Walks away... looks at camera... single tear drop

What was the story behind the Bob Backlund one day reign in 1994?

They needed a neel transitional champion between Bret and Diesel.

I'm betting one of my friends (a former wrestling fan, casual viewer) 20 dollars that Steve Austin lost to Savio Vega (NOT Bret Hart) which led to Ted DiBiase's exit from the WWF in 96. He insists it was Bret Hart. Can someone direct me to a website or tell me which pay per view it was (I think it was the Carribean Strap Match in the 5/96 IYH) where Vega defeated Austin?

^ I'm pretty sure it was IYH because one of the stipulations of that match was Dibiase's departure, wasn't it?

Does anyone know the reason why he dropped it to Bret and not to the Warrior?

I dunno about the whole RR thing, but I heard Flair was supposed to job the title to the Ultimate Warrior originally at that very Oct. 12 show, but Warrior having his ego wanted to win the title on a PPV instead and not in Canada. So Vince said fuck it and cut a deal with Bret that if Bret renewed his contract, he would get the title. Warrior didn't want to put Bret over and he left the following month and the rest is history.

it was def savio vega that beat austin causing dibiase to leave wwf at the may 1996 iyh. the austin bret feud didnt get started until their match at survivor series 1996 when bret made his return after losing to michaels at wm 12

anyway, when did austin change from the ringmaster to stone cold? I'm pretty sure it was at the beginning of his feud with savio, but im not sure if maybe he changed his name after dibiase left

I dunno about the whole RR thing, but I heard Flair was supposed to job the title to the Ultimate Warrior originally at that very Oct. 12 show, but Warrior having his ego wanted to win the title on a PPV instead and not in Canada. So Vince said fuck it and cut a deal with Bret that if Bret renewed his contract, he would get the title. Warrior didn't want to put Bret over and he left the following month and the rest is history.

I don't buy the Bret contract issue. He renewed right after the 92 Rumble. His contract status played a part in the Mountie winning the IC title.

anyway, when did austin change from the ringmaster to stone cold? I'm pretty sure it was at the beginning of his feud with savio, but im not sure if maybe he changed his name after dibiase left

I could be wrong here but I think he was known as Stone Cold beginning with the Raw match he and Savio had a few weeks before WrestleMania (March 10th, I believe).

Okay, maybe it was a contract extension then...

Vince's decision to put the title on Bret, was on a whim. If Vince had talked it over with his colleagues, they SURELY would've shot down the title change that day.

...from Bret's shoot interview -

- Shortly after this, Vince lost confidence in Flair for reasons that Bret didn’t know or particularly care about, and one morning before a TV taping in Saskatoon they sprung the idea on him of making him the champ. Bret, in retrospect, thinks that had it happened even a day after they planned it out, the political vultures would have had enough time to shoot it down and he never would have gotten it. Ric apologized for the relatively low quality of the matches they had. Bret didn’t like Ric’s here-and-there-and-everywhere psychology, but thinks he’s still a hell of a worker.

Guest MikeSC
Has anyone seen Steve Austin vs. Barry Windham from WCW 92? They had a few matches, I believe.

Were they any good?

I actually have ALL of their televised matches (and am looking to sell all of my tapes) --- including the TV title swap --- and they were all decent - good. Better than Austin v Zenk or Austin v News, which WCW did ad nauseum, but not as good as Steamboat v Austin.

-=Mike

Actually Caw, Flair was never supposed to get the belt in the first place I believe. Plan was for Warrior to turn at Slam and win the belt. Warrior flaked out and they(don't know why though) wanted the belt off Savage so transitioned it to Flair quickly.

Here's a Q, why was Savage phased out so quickly in late 92-early 93?

I was a little pissed out about that count out loss. You could tell Wembley was going apeshit for the Warrior to win.

Actually Caw, Flair was never supposed to get the belt in the first place I believe. Plan was for Warrior to turn at Slam and win the belt. Warrior flaked out and they(don't know why though) wanted the belt off Savage so transitioned it to Flair quickly.

I think I heard that Savage wanted to take on an easier shedule. Not sure if that's true...

Guest Boo_Bradley

Mr. Perfect was lobbying hard to win the belt from Flair, instead of who turned out to be bret

I thought that was WM XVI though.

Edited by Rico_Constantino

Guest Boo_Bradley

WM 10 Taker had shoulder injuries and took his 1st break in 3 years, I do believe

To answer my own question I just heard a Savage itnerview.

Vince wanted all the older guys out and Savage himself wnated to be a commentator since he felt he was breaking down. He enjoyed doing the part time wrestling gig but got bored of it mid-94. Met with Vince, Vince said he wouldn't bring Savage back full time so Savage asked for an out and got a good deal with WCW. Vince let him go with no bad blood.

So now I ask another question,

What started the bad blood between Savage and Vince?

Guest Boo_Bradley

Is there bad blood? Savage wants Vince to put him vs Hogan at WM XX and has been saying nice things about Vince here and there

WM 10 Taker had shoulder injuries and took his 1st break in 3 years, I do believe

Back problems, that's why he lost the casket match at the 94 Rumble. Had Taker been 100% around that time, we probably would have ended up with the Luger / Borga main event for Mania after Taker dropped the title to Ludvig.

I believe Taker has worn a backbrace for much of his WWF/E career, at least up until the biker persona.

Guest krazykat72

The steroid issue played a big part in Hart getting the title. Part of the reason Warrior left was b/c McMahon was instituting new testing at the time and he, along with Davey Boy Smith (who was also fired at the time, were suspected of using something, possibly GHB, i don't remember to beat the tests). With arguably, the top 2 babyfaces at the time being let go (not counting Savage right off the title loss), the decision was made to go to Bret Hart.

-Paul Jacobi-

Back problems, that's why he lost the casket match at the 94 Rumble. Had Taker been 100% around that time, we probably would have ended up with the Luger / Borga main event for Mania after Taker dropped the title to Ludvig.

Actually Borga was injured before the Rumble, causing Bigelow to replace him in the match with Tatanka, as well as his abrupt exit from the fed.

Back problems, that's why he lost the casket match at the 94 Rumble.  Had Taker been 100% around that time, we probably would have ended up with the Luger / Borga main event for Mania after Taker dropped the title to Ludvig.

Actually Borga was injured before the Rumble, causing Bigelow to replace him in the match with Tatanka, as well as his abrupt exit from the fed.

That aside, those were the plans.

New question:

PWI MOTY 1993: Michaels vs. Jannety

Which match was it? I've heard three different options

1. The match where Perfect helps Jannety win the belt

2. A rematch on RAW after Michaels wins the belt back, in which the match has a false finish (foot on the rope) and a restart.

3. The cage match after that (least likely though)

Although the choice of the award was quite dubious to me (granted, it's Apter, so it may well have been arbitrary anyway) since the US MOTY in '93 had to be Foley-Vader at HH93