TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest welshjerichomark

English Football

CHampions League starts today, Man U is spanking Inter even though the score is even. They should be up at least one or two goals. Pretty fun match, Ronaldo is working magic with the ball as usual. Anyone know why Rooney is benched? I've heard Jose has beaten Fergie almost every time they've faced, though you wouldn't be able to tell from this match.

I'd start an official Champions League thread, but its too sporadic and I Don't think there's enough demand on this board to sustain it. Anyone disagree?

Inter were the better team 2nd half, so I suppose that's a fair result. Mourinho starting Rivas ahead of Cordoba was madness, though the 18-year old full back looked solid. As for Arsenal, they'll be disappointed only to have a one goal advantage. Carlos Vela must despair when he continually sees Nicklas 'I should play every minue of every game' Bendtner on the team sheet ahead of him.

Carlos Vela must despair when he continually sees Nicklas 'I should play every minue of every game' Bendtner on the team sheet ahead of him.

Bendtner's never going to be any higher than 4th choice Striker, best thing for his career would be a season or 2 at an AZ Alkmaar(best side in Holland by a distance) or Lyon(if they sell Benzema) where he's first choice every week with the team built around his style of play.

Wednesday 1 Reading 2

No thanks! Bloody Berkshire bastards. Absolute robbery. The ref and his assistant should be put down. Fucking hell. After some disastrous offside decisions, we scored a superb goal ruled out for nothing, they went up the other end etc etc. Soul destroying after we deserved at the very least a draw against a far superior side. Our keeper went up for 3 corners in injury time and so, so nearly scored an equaliser. If his header had bounced an inch earlier the keeper wouldn't have got there. My God. I'd have been on the pitch. So they can fuck off and die, who's next? Wolves. Hate them as well, McCarthy got one of our players sent off last time out. Twat. Still, least these decisions aren't threatening to send us down like they did last year.

Phil Thompson really pisses me off sometimes - 'IT'S WHERE THE MAJIC HAPPENS!'! Fuck off you boring big nose professional scouse twat. God i hate the modern CL - a big horrible cash cow that nobody can afford to not feed off. No need to worry though, you big clubs only need to finish 3rd or 4th domestically to qualify - as long as you're from England, Spain or Italy. We don't want any eastern european sides ruining our super grand slam euro giant wankfest matchups. UEFA Cup is completely fucked and has been for a long while - Villa waving the white flag the other week because it's worth endless millions more to them to finish 4th in the league was so depressing. Even worse, thanks to bloody sky, is the fact that the same logic applies to teams struggling at the bottom. The bottom of that particular barrel was scraped last year when that ginger cunt Megson put out a reserve side for Bolton. Gary fucking Megson telling the UEFA cup to kiss his arse, what a horrible moment.

Yeah everybody knows all this already, i apologise. Just pisses me off that i might not see another side that has it's own national style or personality in it's play that's good enough to go up against the richest teams - Think Red Star Belgrade, Ajax and Dinamo Kiev in the early, mid and late 90's respectively.

Yeah everybody knows all this already, i apologise. Just pisses me off that i might not see another side that has it's own national style or personality in it's play that's good enough to go up against the richest teams - Think Red Star Belgrade, Ajax and Dinamo Kiev in the early, mid and late 90's respectively.

Manchester United might be the closest you'll find. Or Barcelona.

The problem is that Eastern European players just simply aren't as good as they used to be. Africans have taken their place in terms of relevance, and, well, you can't have top leagues in Africa for obvious reasons.

How many Eastern European's are regular players for Champions League clubs anyway? Let's count them.

Arshavin

Vidic

Stankovic

Berbatov

Vucinic

As for distinct styles, the Eredivisie is pretty distinct, as is Dutch football as a whole.

Yes - It does go in cycles - Sebia currently has very promising young players emerging but who knows how many will make the next step? It's irrelevant in terms of euro club competition anyway these days, they'll all be gone west by 20-21 yrs old at the most if they're good enough.

I've found the UEFA Cup to be pretty entertaining this year.

909, you continue to amaze me with your knowledge of football from North America.

I only heavily picked up the game a few seasons ago. I haven't had too much time on my hands lately, so football viewing has become more scarce. I still manage to watch games from 3 (sometimes 4) leagues every week.

UEFA Cup is completely fucked and has been for a long while - Villa waving the white flag the other week because it's worth endless millions more to them to finish 4th in the league was so depressing. Even worse, thanks to bloody sky, is the fact that the same logic applies to teams struggling at the bottom. The bottom of that particular barrel was scraped last year when that ginger cunt Megson put out a reserve side for Bolton. Gary fucking Megson telling the UEFA cup to kiss his arse, what a horrible moment.

I love how sides spend the season talking about "getting into Europe" only to write it off when the next season starts, put out reserves "because the Leagues the top priority" and end up in the competition again.

I liked the UEFA Cup with the 2 Leg finals, even with Away goals we didn't have the situation now where a team is delighted to draw 0-0 at home because they didn't concede an away goal.

So I hear Beckham is remaining on-loan to AC Milan til the end of the season then will finish up the MLS season. Apparently he's doing this so that he can be ready for World Cup play in 2010. Now I might be wrong here, but didn't the new coach of the England Nat'l team go on record to say that having Beckham on the team is more of a detriment due to the attention he brings to the team and the amount of paparazzi is a distraction?

I mean, do any of you Brits want Beckham on the squad in 2010 or have you all had your fill and want him kept off?

I'd definitely take him as long as it's as a centre midfielder and not out wide.

The cameo appearances as substitute has to stop though, it's awful.

We've not got a real replacement for Beckham yet, Ashley Young may be World Class by the time of the World Cup, but we wouldn't lose out by having Beckham in the squad. Fabio Capello actually brought Beckham back into the England team (on the proviso he proved his fitness and earned his place, just like when they worked together at Madrid) after the appalling Steve Mclaren dropped him to try and stamp his authority on the team more than anything.

Gerrard does dive quite a bit, but that was about as clear cut a penalty as you'll see. Evra swept his legs right out while in full stride.

With Vidic out for a while, maybe it ain't over for us.